Burger King's new monster sandwich


iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
719
10
San Francisco, CA
edesignuk said:
Yay Burger King :rolleyes:

WTF is wrong with them. At least McDonalds seem to be going in a better direction.

Well I don't mind burger joints getting a little more healthy, but I don't want them to go all, "OMG ITS A CALORIE EVERYONE FREEZE!!!", or "FAT, COME OUT - WE'VE GOT THE ENTIRE PLACE SURROUNDED". I tend to like my burgers just the way they are...
 

apple2991

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
419
0
iindigo said:
Well I don't mind burger joints getting a little more healthy, but I don't want them to go all, "OMG ITS A CALORIE EVERYONE FREEZE!!!", or "FAT, COME OUT - WE'VE GOT THE ENTIRE PLACE SURROUNDED". I tend to like my burgers just the way they are...
Served with a side of heart attack? Me, too.

I think the problem here is choices--it has come to the point where many people simply do not have the time to eat three square, somewhat rounded meals a day. Most people are lucky to get one at dinner. And these fast-foot establishments, although they have no legal obligation to the public to serve even remotely healthy foods should only be encouraged to make their food--known to be a staple of American life (over 25% of the American adult population eats a fast-food meal everyday)--as healthy as possible, to the benefit of society.

That's not to say they need to start serving brussel sprouts and tofu burgers, but do their meals really need to include 750 calorie breakfast sandwiches? And, sadly, most Americans don't have the time or motivation to learn what is in the food that is so convenient and easy for them to purchase--or how unhealthy it may be.

But, as I said, the problem is choices. I have no problem with anybody stuffing their face with whatever they so choose, but I think we should also see fast-food restaurants offer more healthy alternatives. It's not so much an issue of Burger King serving this particular sandwich, it's an issue of them not having anything else.

The only healthy choice on Burger King's menu (aside from those OH-so wonderful salads).
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
I'm really tired of people pointing their fingers at fast food chains.

Why not point the fingers at the people who stuff their faces with this stuff as a part of their REGULAR diet?

Fast food is just that - fast, filling and not necessarily healthy. Anyone who thinks they can have a well-balanced diet eating five days a week at any fast food joint is a tool.

Do I eat fast food - yup.

Do I eat it 3-4 times a week? Nope.

Did I enjoy every bite of my Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese, Large Fries, Large Coke and two Apple Pies yesterday? Yup (But I had just finished running 30 miles :p )
 

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
1,087
0
Right back where I started...
Too much for me. It seems that the majority of people don't care because they know that there are 'pills' one can take to counter act the effects of being overweight - cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. so the enjoyment of the monster sandwich adds some pounds, but nothing that a spam email doesn't make you think you could lose in 5 minutes;)
 

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
593
0
københavn
apple2991 said:
I think the problem here is choices--it has come to the point where many people simply do not have the time to eat three square, somewhat rounded meals a day. Most people are lucky to get one at dinner. And these fast-foot establishments, although they have no legal obligation to the public to serve even remotely healthy foods should only be encouraged to make their food--known to be a staple of American life (over 25% of the American adult population eats a fast-food meal everyday)--as healthy as possible, to the benefit of society.

That's not to say they need to start serving brussel sprouts and tofu burgers, but do their meals really need to include 750 calorie breakfast sandwiches? And, sadly, most Americans don't have the time or motivation to learn what is in the food that is so convenient and easy for them to purchase--or how unhealthy it may be.

But, as I said, the problem is choices. I have no problem with anybody stuffing their face with whatever they so choose, but I think we should also see fast-food restaurants offer more healthy alternatives. It's not so much an issue of Burger King serving this particular sandwich, it's an issue of them not having anything else.
Arguments like this appear to be an American speciality and allways strike me with great wonder. On one hand you're supposed to be living in a country based on (individual) freedom. And people can stuff their faces with whatever they want.
On the other hand you don't expect them to take the least bit of responsibilty for their own diet and excuse them on the grounds they don't have the motivation!
Instead you wan't Burger King to take this responsibility for them - a company that wouldn't know a nutritious meal if it was stuffed up their greasy behind... tsss, they almost deserve a proper lawsuit:"I died from a hart attack, because I wasn't motivated to not eat only Whoppers, therefore it's Burger Kings fault"!

I'm pretty concerned about food, basically - I like it a lot. Whenever I can I spend the time and resources on cooking a proper hot meal for myself at night. But I must say I'm more concerned with quality than with grease. This means is that I don't buy the cheapest chicken (slaughtered when it's 3 weeks old), I don't buy the cheap industrial bread in the supermarket (completely void of any nutrition). It also means there's variation in my meals... and this is one key factor to a healthy diet.

I like this quote from the cook Claus Meyer (who allways had to much appetite to ever go to mcdonalds): "Everything that tastes good and makes us happy is healthy"!
I realise this doesn't really cover all the facts, but there's still a lot of truth in it - especially if you're a bit quality conscious.

And every now and then I like a big greasy whopper, without any illusion that it's healthy.
apple2991 said:
The only healthy choice on Burger King's menu (aside from those OH-so wonderful salads).
And I don't really see why this can be considered healthy just because it's veggie - It's still served in crap bread and with lots of mayo...

A
 

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
2,198
286
Raleigh, NC
MongoTheGeek said:
I saw a table split one. I almost killed off the 3#er. I hit the pickle relish at the bottom (Hate pickles. Eating the 1 1/2 on top of the beast was bad enough)

A woman recently ate the 6#

I've been hankering for a crossainwich recently. Maybe I should get one of these instead.
I know! And the woman who ate the 6 pounder is only 100 lbs! And they gave her a t-shirt! I wonder if the shirt said "I ate a burger that was 6% of my body weight and all I got was this crappy t-shirt"
 

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
867
0
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
DavidLeblond said:
quote from link "100-pound woman became the first person to win the Denny's Beer Barrel Pub challenge when 19-year-old Kate Stelnick of Princeton, New Jersey, downed a six-pound Denny's "96er" hamburger and five pounds of fixins' in 2 hours and 54 minutes, just shy of the three-hour time limit. For her trouble, Ms. Stelnick got a special certificate, a T-shirt, and other prizes, as well as having her tab for the $23.95 burger picked up by the house."

Don't know what to say besides "FAT COW!"

well besides ay least she's still a Ms. and probably will still stay one, 'keep those genes to yourself madam!', and no I'm not a 8 stone vegan hippie.
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,817
37
Andover, MA
I saw an ad last night on TV for this sandwich. It was almost nightmare-inducing. A man looked out of, I think, his garage (wasn't really paying attention at this point) and saw a strange figure standing on his lawn.

He blinked, and then the BK guy (guy dressed up as, I suppose, a king, but with a bizarre, large, smiling head) was right in front of him. Then a message about the sandwich, then a cut to the guy tickling or wrestling with the smiling BK guy on the floor.

So odd I can't even describe it appropriately.
 

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
2,198
286
Raleigh, NC
crap freakboy said:
quote from link "100-pound woman became the first person to win the Denny's Beer Barrel Pub challenge when 19-year-old Kate Stelnick of Princeton, New Jersey, downed a six-pound Denny's "96er" hamburger and five pounds of fixins' in 2 hours and 54 minutes, just shy of the three-hour time limit. For her trouble, Ms. Stelnick got a special certificate, a T-shirt, and other prizes, as well as having her tab for the $23.95 burger picked up by the house."

Don't know what to say besides "FAT COW!"

well besides ay least she's still a Ms. and probably will still stay one, 'keep those genes to yourself madam!', and no I'm not a 8 stone vegan hippie.
100 lbs is a fat cow? If she can eat a 6 lb hamburger and still be 100lbs, I'd say she has some damn fine genes myself.
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,817
37
Andover, MA
DavidLeblond said:
100 lbs is a fat cow? If she can eat a 6 lb hamburger and still be 100lbs, I'd say she has some damn fine genes myself.
I'm guessing "bulemic" is more apt than "fat cow". Not sure how, otherwise, a 100-lb person could eat 11 pounds of food in under 3 hours.
 

CAM

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2004
29
0
Lillington, NC
apple2991 said:
The only healthy choice on Burger King's menu (aside from those OH-so wonderful salads).

The veggie burger? I tried that once. It was absolutely the most horrible fast food item I'd ever tried. I'd put the breakfast burrito from McDonalds ahead of this, and that's saying quite a lot. I can see why BK doesn't bother with having healthier items if this is the best they can do.
 

shortyjj

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
247
0
I saw this commercial last night, and LOVED the new BK "mascot". It's definitely memorable, though I'm not sure it does much to help sell fast food...


Btw I'm vegetarian, and usually get the "veggie Whopper," nothing more than a Whopper without the meat (or even any meat-substitute) but somehow worth the $1.
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
i stay away from McDonalds and Burger King, their food just isnt appealing to me, neither is Wendy's.....although i will admit that Taco Bell teases my taste buds every now and then

my problem with fast food is that 95% of it all tastes like crap, heck if it at least tasted good i could understand people eating it all the time
 

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
2,198
286
Raleigh, NC
shortyjj said:
I saw this commercial last night, and LOVED the new BK "mascot". It's definitely memorable, though I'm not sure it does much to help sell fast food...
The best BK mascot/advertisement has got to be Subserviant Chicken. That damn thing is creepy as hell! Me and my fiance found it at like 2am last night and fed it the craziest **** to do and he would do all of it. I don't know how many things they filmed that guy doing to make that site but they had to do a ton.
 

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2004
795
0
A series of tubes
ziwi said:
Too much for me. It seems that the majority of people don't care because they know that there are 'pills' one can take to counter act the effects of being overweight - cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. so the enjoyment of the monster sandwich adds some pounds, but nothing that a spam email doesn't make you think you could lose in 5 minutes;)
Has anyone noticed the latest annoying diet fad--those expensive-because-they-must-work diet pills? Cortislim...thyroid-somethingorother, etc. You may have seen that tool, Dr. (PhD, not MD) Cynaumon telling you, "It's not your fault that you're fat. Holiday overindulgence, blah blah metabolism blah blah thyroid bend over and give us your money, you idiots...blah blah."