Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
All these calories aren't that bad, you just have to burn them doing something ;)

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Platform said:
All these calories aren't that bad, you just have to burn them doing something ;)

Very important point - the human body simply isn't made for sitting on it's flat behind all day. Not even if it's a mac it's sitting in front.

A

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
Woke up late for work and thus missed breakfast.

After reading this thread, am hungry to try one. Don't worry I'm skinny, though my inlaws think I have potential to get fat (huh?).

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
mac-er said:
I just wonder when Americans will drive up to the fast food window, stick their ass out the window, and have lard injected directly into it.

don't laugh; some guy got charged with manslaughter or some such in Florida a month or so ago for holding "Pump Parties" where he'd inject his "clients" with silicone to shape their buttocks, boobs and the like. Sort of like a tupperware party for plastic surgery. Unfortunately for his clients, he was using industrial silicone (like the stuff you get to caulk your tub with, i reckon), and after getting some in the pooper, one of the boys went into toxic shock and died.

it's almost as undignified as dying from autoerotic asphyxiation. oh, and by the way, what the hell is wrong with these people?!!!

(sorry, didn't mean to be offensively judgmental or anything...)

v

memofromturner

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2005
I'm fat and it's all your fault

Some people are just downright stupid. I couldn't care less if a company or restaurant sold sandwiches that weighed 5 lbs or had 2,000 calories. That doesn't mean all people must eat them...

Anyone ever heard of self control or free will? Apparently not.

So in order for people to be fit, we must not sell unhealthy food because some idiots eat until they are 300 lbs? You can overdose on multivitamins; should we not sell them anymore either? It's obvious some people refuse to take responsibility for their own actions. I'm tired of people acting like helpless children, hoping that some authoritative body will make decisions for them. It's just silly and irresponsible.

It's also funny how people only seem to rant about big companies that sell unhealthy food. Nobody mentions Joe's Hot Dog Stand on the corner of Main St. that sells equally unhealthy products.

Also, McDonalds has stopped selling SuperSize options for their menu. Why? The same people who specified SuperSize, now just order two of everything.

Where is the logic?

It's called self control people. You don't want to be fat? Then don't eat crap.

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
Good for them!

Why do people get so disgusted in Burger King over this? I say More power too them if it works and gets customers. No one makes anybody else buy this stuff. When McDonald's came out with their new salads, I saw obese people come and buy them, thinking they were trying to lose weight or whatever, and still buy a double-quarter-pounder. It's up the the individual. I won't be buying them, so it does not affect me. But there's no reason to look down on it for them. I don't look down on HP for making computers. They make money off it, good for them. I think they are some of the worst computers ever, but who cares, I'm not buying one.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
KD7IWP said:
Why do people get so disgusted in Burger King over this? I say More power too them if it works and gets customers. No one makes anybody else buy this stuff. When McDonald's came out with their new salads, I saw obese people come and buy them, thinking they were trying to lose weight or whatever, and still buy a double-quarter-pounder. It's up the the individual. I won't be buying them, so it does not affect me. But there's no reason to look down on it for them. I don't look down on HP for making computers. They make money off it, good for them. I think they are some of the worst computers ever, but who cares, I'm not buying one.

Agreed. I cannot believe some of your attitudes. I am fat... it's my fault! No one else's. America is supposed to be a capatalist country... yet you rebuke any company for trying to make money. If you don't want one, you don't have to buy one. When I saw Supersize me over here.. I literally went out at 11:30 PM to the 24 Hours McDo round the corner... (Drive through.) And had a veggie burger + McFlurry :D .. and I would have had their chips if they weren't cooked in animal fats. I enjoyed it so much.

What right do people have to take choice away from me.

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
vixapphire said:
don't laugh; some guy got charged with manslaughter or some such in Florida a month or so ago for holding "Pump Parties" where he'd inject his "clients" with silicone to shape their buttocks, boobs and the like. Sort of like a tupperware party for plastic surgery. Unfortunately for his clients, he was using industrial silicone (like the stuff you get to caulk your tub with, i reckon), and after getting some in the pooper, one of the boys went into toxic shock and died.

I remember this, along with people injecting chicken fat into their boobs.
puke2.gif

P.S.
What is with the shock and surprise from Super Size Me? A guy ate a solid diet of McD's and turned into pile of pickled lard. Did people not expect this? Did people need documentary to show them this? :rolleyes:

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
SpaceMagic said:
Agreed. I cannot believe some of your attitudes. I am fat... it's my fault! No one else's. America is supposed to be a capatalist country... yet you rebuke any company for trying to make money. If you don't want one, you don't have to buy one. When I saw Supersize me over here.. I literally went out at 11:30 PM to the 24 Hours McDo round the corner... (Drive through.) And had a veggie burger + McFlurry :D .. and I would have had their chips if they weren't cooked in animal fats. I enjoyed it so much.

What right do people have to take choice away from me.
exactly. it's like people complaining about the filth on tv and it's' being shoved down our throats. that's what the ratings are for, and people can make conscious decisions. i can watch south park or the hollow men if i want to, and people who think that'll be the downfall of society can shut their tv off. sorry for the rant. anyway, yeah, i did the whole "watch super size me and then go to mcdonalds" thing too.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
mcadam said:
And I don't really see why this can be considered healthy just because it's veggie - It's still served in crap bread and with lots of mayo...

Weird, in Canada this burger is made from a soy pattie... And nobody forces you to put mayo on it (I always take mine with mustard+ketchup only).

jesse_james

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2004
Hmm, thanks but no thanks. I'll stick with Hardee's Monster Thickburger for my hearty breakfast.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
If you actually look at it, it really isn;t all that much for what you get. Remove the egg, and it is 600 calories. I wouldn't eat the egg. If you eat 600 cals for breakfast, 700 for lunch, and 700 for dinner, you have your daily supply of calories. Excercise and show a bit of self control and you'll be fine...

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Bring it on

I'm gonna eat that thing. First thing tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on my progress. I have a feeling its going to hurt my work productivity but I'm going to force myself to do it so I can let everyone else know how it goes. I ate two veggie patties for dinner and I'm frickin starvin. I hate going to bed hungry. I hope I dream of the king.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I'm too lazy to read the entire thread, but anyone heard of the Ultimate Whopper at BK?

2 patties 'o beef, 4 slices of cheese, 8 strips of bacon.

...god. Whenever I go to a fast food place I try to get just a basic 1 pattie hamburger.

I have to admit though, on the way home from class last Thursday I stopped by KFC and got three of those little snackers for the ride home...

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
feakbeak said:
I would say there is a high probability she is bulemic. Look at her arm in that picture - very good chance she's a cutter. Cutting and eating disorders often go hand-in-hand. Obviously, I don't know the girl but there are many indicators present.

Couldn't it also be that she just has high metabolism? I mean look at that Asian dude (150#?) who always wins the hot dog eating contest over a bunch of 300# dudes...

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
Ham_man said:
Couldn't it also be that she just has high metabolism? I mean look at that Asian dude (150#?) who always wins the hot dog eating contest over a bunch of 300# dudes...
Certainly, that is a possibility. In my original post I indicated that I could be wrong, but there are strong indicators.

She is 37, usually our metabolism slows down as we get older. She has three cuts on her arm and not all of them are going in the same direction, which makes it unlikely that they were caused by accident. As I said before, cutting and eating disorders often occur together. Based on these points, I find it fairly probable that she is bulemic - just an educated guess, nothing more.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
apple2991 and mcadam, I have found your discussion interesting.

As many in this thread have said what one eats is their choice and their responsibility. I fully agree with that sentiment and that it is not the fast food industries responsibility to serve healthy food. It is a business - it works on the principle of supply and demand. They keep selling this junk because people want it. Some of that junk is tasty and I indulge in it from time to time - but when I do, I am not in some delusion that what I am eating is good for me.

As you two have touched on, the problem goes much deeper than personal responsibility for one's eating habits. It is a cultural problem that stems from ignorance and apathy. Even in this thread, many people seem to think the only problem with this new breakfast sandwich is the calories. "Oh, you can eat this sandwich and just be sure to burn off the calories." Nutrition is more complicated than that. This sandwich is filled with saturated fat that clogs your arteries and high in sodium that raises your blood pressure. It has crap bread with no fiber. The large amount of calories is only one problem with the sandwich - of equal or greater concern is that there is little or no nutrients in this sandwich.

Most Americans are ignorant about nutrition. I would say that most realize that fast food is unhealthy but I doubt they fully comprehend why it is unhealthy. Most children are ignorant of how to lead a healthy lifestyle because their parents do not teach them because they themselves are ignorant.

I am not trying to be judgmental here. I grew up in a poor suburb of Detroit where ignorance runs rampant. I was fortunate enough to have a mother who valued education and raised me to have a little more sense. However, many children aren't so lucky - so there ends up being a self-perpetuating cycle that produces good, little, ignorant consumers who just keep consuming and large corporations like it that way. It is not the corporations fault, but they certainly won't get an "integrity award" from me for how they exploit the system.

So yeah, this is a problem deeply rooted in American culture. How do we fix it? I'm not sure, I would start with education - but that's not enough because too many of these factors start in the home. We could create the best educational system and it won't matter unless education is valued and reinforced in the home. I think Americans could benefit from politicians having enough spine to condemn the amount of piss-poor parenting going on in our country - but it wouldn't help their popularity polls, so that's out of the question.

I don't know... if I had answers I would be a politician or writing a book or doing something more productive than posting cynical insights on an internet forum. ;)

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Yvan256 said:
Weird, in Canada this burger is made from a soy pattie... And nobody forces you to put mayo on it (I always take mine with mustard+ketchup only).

Ok, but it still doesn't make it healthy or nutritious. I think feakbeak sums it up very nicely:
feakbeak said:
Even in this thread, many people seem to think the only problem with this new breakfast sandwich is the calories. "Oh, you can eat this sandwich and just be sure to burn off the calories." Nutrition is more complicated than that. (...) The large amount of calories is only one problem with the sandwich - of equal or greater concern is that there is little or no nutrients in this sandwich.

Btw - Had a nice greasy and salty meal at McDonalds yesterday. For me, it's one of the best remedies to get through a nasty hangover.

A

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I'd love to try one of these sammiches, but I'd have to bring a friend or two with me so I could split it up between us. lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.