Burst Mode in iOS7 on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by chadsteruw, Sep 13, 2013.

1. chadsteruw macrumors member

I found out yesterday that Burst Mode (when you hold down the shutter, it keeps taking photos) works on the GM version with an iPhone 5. This is touted as a feature for the 5S, but works just fine on a 5. Just thought I'd mention since I found out yesterday.:)

2. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Yup. I can confirm it works. It does it a lot slower than the 5S though

3. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Except that technically it's in Alpha stage as the user interface (as shown on the 5s) is missing. It just clutters up your camera roll with dozens of pictures.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It's not the same. The iPhone 5 can take many pictures in rapid suggestion on iOS 7, but it's not the same as the burst mode feature for the iPhone 5S. With the iPhone 5S, the phone will select the best of all of these photos, and show you that one. If you select it, you will get the option to view the others as well.

With the 5, they all show in your camera roll, there is no intelligent feature that automatically examines the photos and selects the best.

I know there are some other differences as well, but that's the major one.

So in short - the iPhone 5 gets "burst mode lite," the feature is only fully realized on the 5S.

5. that be me macrumors 6502

6. antoniogra7 macrumors member

It doesn't work the way iPhone 5s' do. iPhone 4 has it too. What it does is just takes photos continuously since when you press the button until you release your finger. It does it as fast as the phone can. iPhone 4 takes them quite slowly for example. The difference from iPhone 5s' is the UI, that they are not grouped in the camera roll and that the phone doesn't select automatically the "best", it just takes a lot of photos.

7. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Reason for this, being the A7 chip is what handles those algorithms and heavy lifting. A6 likely doesn't have the oomph.

8. GreyOS macrumors 68030

I also argued the difference here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1633668

Everyone else was happy with the 'lite' feature as it exists in non-5S devices. But me, if I need to take lots of photos like that I can take them twice as fast tapping manually, so meh.

----------

Sadly, not true on iPhone 5. Holding = up to 3 per second. Tapping = up to 7 per second (YMMV)

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

This is the same as burst mode on my 5D....which is exactly how I like it. Let me review the pics and chose the best. But the 5s way of doing it may be better since it's on a phone and not a DSLR. But just pointing out that it's not exactly "burst mode lite".

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I get what you're saying - but, compared to the full-fledged feature that will be present with the 5S - it is burst mode lite. Doesn't mean worse, just that it's not the complete feature.

11. GreyOS macrumors 68030

That's exactly what the 5S lets you do, in a smarter and more manageable way the on the 5. You can choose multiple favourites from one burst.

12. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

It's not burst mode on the 5, the camera is just faster on iOS 7 than 6!
    Check out YouTube hands on videos to see the real burst mode, it's a LOT faster with a photo counter whilst you use it. Very different, but if it makes you feel better to think you have it, so be it. In saying that, there are some good burst apps (and slo mo apps) available.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's not Burst Mode that exists for iPhone 5S, it's just a change to the Camera app in iOS 7 where it will continue taking shots (at a particular interval, that isn't as fast as it would be for actual Burst Mode) as long as the shutter button is pressed down. That's it (there won't be any analysis of those pictures taken to offer you the best ones or anything like that, which the Burst Mode seems to have as well). I guess you can call it Burst Mode "lite" or something like that, just to give the change some name, but it's not really related to the actual Burst Mode in most senses.

14. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I definitely noticed this change w/ the GM! I usually hold the button down & when I'm ready to actually take the picture I let go.

Now when I do that it just takes a bunch of pictures. :rolleyes:

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, used to be that. Not sure which one is better really as I found/find uses to both of those functionalities now.

16. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

Wonder if it's an option somewhere. I'm not sure what's better either; maybe I'll get used to this and like it more.

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

All the replies on this thread make me think that these people have never seen burst mode before and think it's some new feature invented by Apple or something. :confused:

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Just tested by snapping pictures of a youtube video. Instead of 1 clean shot I got 10 blurry shots LOL.

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Apple could've sold a lot more iPhone 5S models had this been marketed as "Camera with Beast Mode."

20. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Even my iPad 2 has "burst mode," even though it is left out of airdrop and the blur effect. Does anyone have an iphone 4 they can see if this works on?

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not sure who might think that. I think most are just interested that something like it was just recently added to the stock iOS Camera app. That's more or less it.

----------

One doesn't have anything to do with the other. Apple just added this kind of ability to in iOS 7 GM.

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I think you read that wrong. The point I'm trying to make is everyone keeps saying "it's not burst mode" when that's exactly what it is.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Ah. I think it's more like it's no "Burst Mode" as the specifically advertised and named one for 5S, but in a sense it is a type of burst mode (in the general sense of a burst mode).

24. GreyOS macrumors 68030

No some are just saying that it's not exactly the same as what Apple are marketting on their iPhone 5S feature page:

"Continuous burst mode.
    Burst mode lets you capture multiple shots of the action by snapping 10 photos per second. And real-time analysis suggests individual shots or a sequence of photos that you might like best."

OK, sure, you're right. On non-5S devices it is still (in informal, natural, non-marketting speak) burst mode - but it is not the sort demo'd at the announcement. That's all some of us wanted to make clear to people.

But infact I go one step further and say it's actually a pretty pathetic burst mode because it's actually slower than doing it manually... but anyway... I'll drop it now... not sure why I care so much :D

25. matttye macrumors 601

Of course it has the oomph. Apple usually always artificially restricts at least a couple of features to the latest phone.