"Buy a case for it" & "Update next month" - Apple Supervisor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thatsmyaibo, Jun 27, 2010.

1. thatsmyaibo macrumors regular

I have been using apple products for 20 years and never in my life have I heard a customer service supervisor tell me to go buy a product to make another product work as it should.

After calling an Apple technical support tech to get more info on this reception problem, I was given to a supervisor who told me to go buy a case and that HOPEFULLY there will be an update next month.

I explained that I am a pilot and need to hold my phone in my left hand to use the controls with mynright (which is all true). I use my iPhone to get frequencies that I need and runway information for my flights. It is insulting after spending 700$ to be told to go buy a 20-30$ cases to my 700$ product would work properly. I didn't even ask for a free bumper but suggested I get a discount on one, no compassion.

Those hoping to get an update tomorrow, a free case or good customer support...don't hold your breath.

2. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Well, I see that "distracted driving" isn't limited to those on the ground :(

3. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Um, you hold your iphone in your left hand while you control the plane with your right hand? Uh, what airline do you fly for?

Skeerd. :eek:

4. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

5. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

I hope the FAA doesn't read this...

Seriously just buy a piece of tape if you are having such huge problems.

6. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

IF Apple don't announce a fix or recall by Tuesday, then my phone is going back

7. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Supervisors don't know jack. They will hear about the update when we do. So much mis-information, guessing etc.

I don't believe a word of it until something official is released. They would NOT wait a month, no way. I believe tomorrow something will come, latest Tuesday.

Oh and put down the phone and fly the plane, thanks.

8. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

if someone reports this and its true you could be in a little spot of bother.......

hope to god i never have you as a pilot!

9. thatsmyaibo thread starter macrumors regular

For those that don't understand aviation, there are 2 pilots in most commercial planes and even without and iPhone, pilots usually have their handful with charts, approach plates and a variety of other paperwork or technology. This is nothing new and not dangerous. We are not talking about making phone calls and being distracted, we are talking about pulling up important information in a more efficient way than flipping through pages in a book.

If anything, it is safer.

10. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

My dad has his pilot's license, and what the OP is saying is true. If he wasn't checking his iPhone piloting app(s), he'd have to check paper charts and whatnot instead, which would take longer and be more distracting. Checking those things is part of his responsibility as a pilot, and getting "reported" for it would not result in anything.

11. thatsmyaibo thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you.

Like I had mentioned, this increase efficiency and safety in the air by letting you get the same information quicker and with less of a mess. It's the reason apps like ForeFlight were created.

And for those of you that may want to know, these are things that are typically done at cruising altitude where you have 1 heading at 1 altitude. Take off and landing would be a different story.

12. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

You're looking for compassion? That's a hoot. Should you have to buy a case (a $26 iFrogz Luxe Lean works just fine)? No, but then, how important is your flight information?

13. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Just giving you a hard time here but...

Do you get cell service at that altitude? And, if you do, why do we all have to turn off our phones? :D

If you don't get cell service, than the "holding the phone in your left hand" thing wouldn't be an issue.

14. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

You have the choice to keep it and stop complaining until their is a fix or you can take back the phone and get a different one and stop complaining. Regardless of which route you choose, we look forward to you no longer complaining.

15. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Seriously guys, some people need to look things up. Why do you think pilots use iPads - to play games? They have flight charts, aircraft manuals and just as important, airport information and advisories. Using an iPad/iPhone is just quicker than trawling through an index and finding a page, which has been eaten by paper-mites.

16. DaftDrunk macrumors regular

Through the desert on a horse with no name
    What the hell does that mean? Do you know what the FAA is? Jesus, some people just love blurting out random fragmented words that they think sounds good.

17. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

What harm would it do if someone at the FAA reads this?

18. thatsmyaibo thread starter macrumors regular

I usually do get service in the plane. For the most part I download the information to the phone before the flight just in case. Also, to be completely honest, I don't know why phones are to remain off during the flight nor electronics during take off and landing. There is the possibility of some slight static in the radio equipment but it is rare with newer technology. I think for the most part now it is to prevent people from being rude on the plane as it is not against FAR/AIM regulations (FAA published rules)

19. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

It's that small chance.

20. thatsmyaibo thread starter macrumors regular

I rarely complain but when I have a $700 phone that can't make calls better than the $30 Go Phone I had last week (to bridge the gap between my 3GS and iPhone 4), I think I have a right to complain.

Gizmodo found the phone quite a while ago which means it was being field tested. If the Apple QA couldn't pick up on a problem that took consumers 1 day to figure out, then there is a huge problem. This phone was released faulty and extreme fanboyism isn't going to make it better.

21. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Wait what? You are holding the device as you are in flight? Really? Please tell me that you are only flying your family around and not mine.

22. thatsmyaibo thread starter macrumors regular

Read through the thread and don't make useless comments unless you know what you're talking about.

23. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

regardless if it interferes with the plane or not, cell phones should stay banned on flights. It would really suck to be sitting next to someone yapping on their phone for hours on end...

24. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

Yeah--imagine if all the self-important businessmen who yell their conversations into their phones so everyone can hear what high-powered businessmen they are took that crap to the plane. It's bad enough in the terminal!

25. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Agreed. I was just teasing the original poster. It would be cool to maybe one day use 3G on my iPad while in flight though.

I've left my iPhone cell service on during a couple of flights before. Shhh...don't tell the FAA on me!