Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
In case anyone is interested, I got the following response in an apple support forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6525990

it seems to be a risky thing to do. So I'm unsure.

You just need to check which LTE bands your provider uses. The persons response is very loose with saying theres a possibility of the phone not accepting those LTE bands.

Get the t-mobile GSM sim only model (A1549) and you'll be fine for UK network providers for sure as they use LTE Bands 3, 7 and 20

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
You're right about that I think. I'll have to consider insurance options. I think if I go through another insurance provider (say protect my bubble or something) it should be ok. Don't believe I can buy AppleCare in the UK with a US phone.

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
You're right about that I think. I'll have to consider insurance options. I think if I go through another insurance provider (say protect my bubble or something) it should be ok. Don't believe I can buy AppleCare in the UK with a US phone.

Doesn't look like it...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 9.32.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 9.32.45 AM.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 97

lukejenks101

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
Im sure i am reading this correctly and i think it should work, i just want to confirm, i have an ee 4G sim which is band 3 or band 7, from looking at the lte compatibility on the apple website it appears both bands appear on the 2 models, so if i buy an unlocked iphone 6 from the us it should work with 4g over here?

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Im sure i am reading this correctly and i think it should work, i just want to confirm, i have an ee 4G sim which is band 3 or band 7, from looking at the lte compatibility on the apple website it appears both bands appear on the 2 models, so if i buy an unlocked iphone 6 from the us it should work with 4g over here?

Absolutely it will work. When I was in the UK on business in January, I took my unlocked AT&T iPad Mini Retina purchased from Apple in NY to an EE store, purchased a pay as you go sim and was on EE LTE all week. Had my 5S been unlocked, it would have worked as well but I needed to be reached on my US number and work pays for roaming. The 5S has UK LTE bands so certainly the 6 will since they are adding bands, not subtracting.

lukejenks101

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
Absolutely it will work. When I was in the UK on business in January, I took my unlocked AT&T iPad Mini Retina purchased from Apple in NY to an EE store, purchased a pay as you go sim and was on EE LTE all week. Had my 5S been unlocked, it would have worked as well but I needed to be reached on my US number and work pays for roaming. The 5S has UK LTE bands so certainly the 6 will since they are adding bands, not subtracting.

Ok great, thanks for your help!

BingoBlue

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Philly
I've just spoken with an Apple Rep online and been told that;

- The TMobile version is locked to TM in the US but unlocked internationally
- The GSM model WILL work in the UK without issue; including 4G
- I can buy AppleCare in the US and can get full support in the UK

I will however have to go to an Apple Store before Friday and buy a gift card because the online store will not accept a non-us credit card.

The only sticking point that the Apple Rep was unsure on is roaming here in the US with my UK carrier sim-card. They were unsure if it would work - and I would have to contact TMobile in the US to find out.

Have to admin i still feel uncomfortable doing it... what if I buy that gift card then can't get one!!

Last edited:

Rasterico

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
Hey guys, I too am in the same boat, I'm travelling to the states in a few weeks and am considering picking up an iPhone 6 for use back in the UK when I get home, I've been reading every post in every forum going trying to find a definitive answer as to if it will work or not when I get back!

I'm on Vodafone here in the UK and from what I understand will need to pick up the unlocked T-Mobile GSM version for it to work when I come home? I've read through all your posts and have figured that much, the LTE table provided by Apple is quite confusing though, I'm not sure if it means it will work back here or not! Also the post that one of you guys linked to on the apple forums seems to suggest otherwise and he even went on to say that 3G may not work even if 4G does? I'm not going for around 7 weeks anyway so hopefully one of you guys will have bit the bullet and taken the plunge by then and can fill us in on the relevant stuff!

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009

I will however have to go to an Apple Store before Friday and buy a gift card because the online store will not accept a non-us credit card.

The only sticking point that the Apple Rep was unsure on is roaming here in the US with my UK carrier sim-card. They were unsure if it would work - and I would have to contact TMobile in the US to find out.

Have to admin i still feel uncomfortable doing it... what if I buy that gift card then can't get one!!

Since I've gotten conflicting info, I just told my boyfriend not to get me one. Just too confusing and a gamble for me. Then again I'm risk averse. If it we're am ipad for sure would get it but I think here will stick go expensive uk prices....sigh.

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
does anywhere sell apple store gift cards online? I don't have a usa card and apple don't accept uk cards on the us online store AHHHH :(

BingoBlue

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Philly
does anywhere sell apple store gift cards online? I don't have a usa card and apple don't accept uk cards on the us online store AHHHH :(

You will have to go in store to buy the gift card if you don't have an american credit card.

BingoBlue

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Philly
Well...

Woke up this morning feeling brave and ordered two;

iPhone 6 64GB Silver (GSM), T-Mobile
iPhone 6 64GB Space Gray (GSM), T-Mobile

One for me and one for the wife. Strangely it allowed me to use my UK credit card in the US Apple Store - delivery for 9/19. Perhaps they will catch on and cancel the order?

I'll have just over a week from delivery to hear reports on it not working in the UK but suspect I might be one of the first :( Saved £282 in total by doing it this way so I really hope it doesn't turn out to be an expensive mistake :mad:

Rasterico

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
Well...

One for me and one for the wife. Strangely it allowed me to use my UK credit card in the US Apple Store - delivery for 9/19. Perhaps they will catch on and cancel the order?

I'll have just over a week from delivery to hear reports on it not working in the UK but suspect I might be one of the first :( Saved £282 in total by doing it this way so I really hope it doesn't turn out to be an expensive mistake :mad:

How much was a 64gb model please in dollars? Don't worry, I've just found out! £460 before sales tax is an excellent price!

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
Well...

lucky man. I tried the same but got a oct 7th date and decided to try my luck on release day... otherwise I'll just wait until January when I'm in the US permanently. They take uk cards. just give a false zip code and a valid us address ;)

BingoBlue

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Philly
lucky man. I tried the same but got a oct 7th date and decided to try my luck on release day... otherwise I'll just wait until January when I'm in the US permanently. They take uk cards. just give a false zip code and a valid us address ;)

So close.... payment got declined by the credit card (they know I am on holiday) so Apple has placed the order on hold. Tried to contact them today but so is everyone else so little luck reaching them.

All sorted with the card company and Apple automatically retry the payment so should sort its self out tonight. If not i'll call them again.

Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't impact the delivery date... so far it hasn't.

sweetstyle

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013

The fantastic "Feel at Home" on Three network works in the US

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
Hi. I bought a AT&T iphone 6 plus 128gb at full price direct from Apple. It's unlocked. It also read my uk three network sim. Haven't had any problems at all. Arrive back in the uk tomorrow morning. Not expecting any issues as have had my USA fiancé in the uk using her iPhone 5s and everything's been fine.

Letterbomb

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Hi. I bought a AT&T iphone 6 plus 128gb at full price direct from Apple. It's unlocked. It also read my uk three network sim. Haven't had any problems at all. Arrive back in the uk tomorrow morning. Not expecting any issues as have had my USA fiancé in the uk using her iPhone 5s and everything's been fine.
Hey, thanks for the update :) How did you get an unlocked AT&T iPhone 6 instead of a T-Mobile? Please let us know if 4G LTE works fine in the UK.

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
Just this second touched down. Still on the runway and all is working fine. In terms of how I got the phone. They were offering full priced phones on all carriers at Grand Rapids store. Verizone and T-Mobile were sold out. All is well and working though so hope that helps.

BingoBlue

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Philly
My iPhone 6 bought from Apple.com contract free is working perfectly here in the UK. Not reported back as others have but hit the first 4G area today so 100% confirmation. Using Three.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.