Buy MacBook Pro 13" Now or Wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacBookPro13", Jan 28, 2011.

  1. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

    MacBookPro13"

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2011
    Location:
    Ireland
    #1
    I am looking to buy the basic 13" model of the MacBook Pro - 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD etc..


    Should I buy it now or do I wait until they update the current line? (Anyone have any idea when that might be?)


    Thanks.
     
  2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #2
    The new ones might be out in a matter of days, or weeks. If not a month or two tops. Just wait.
     
  3. zodqyv macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2010
    #3
    Wait! The update should be anytime between next Tuesday and April, and many signs are pointing towards sooner rather than later.
     
  4. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #4
    NEED NOW = WAIT.

    BUY NOW = NOT NEED.


    As it is up to you, if you need an MBP now and only you know what you gonna use it for, it is up to you.
    The current MBP is quite sufficient for many tasks, and even when updated, the updated MBP will not be that much faster anyway.
     
  5. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

    leftywamumonkey

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #5
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

    Another one?
     
  6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #6
    Need now = wait? Are you kidding?

    Need now then buy. If you can wait, then wait. You could be waiting 3 months though.
     
  7. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #7
    Seems that way, doesn't it, but as the OP didn't tell us what s/he needs the MBP for, I though about a little brain exercise. Might brighten the mood and such.
     
  8. greytmom macrumors 68040

    greytmom

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    #8
    I think you should do whatever you want to do. Seriously, you can decide this one on your own.

    Now, if you are asking what I would do - I'd wait.
     
  9. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

    JoJoCal19

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    Jacksonville, FL
    #9
    I cannot wait for this refresh. I don't NEED one right now but I WANT one badly so I seriously hope Apple refreshes the 13" sooner than later. It's killing me to wait especially since I'm also waiting on iPad 2. At least my wait for the Verizon iPhone is almost over. I've learned with Apple to hurry up and wait :p
     
  10. kopite19 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2010
    #10
    I'm in the market for a new MBP as my '07 MB has a dodgy keyboard (bottom row of keys don't work!) but I'm just dealing with it until the refresh. I'd advise OP to do the same. Spending £1000 on a notebook that could be refreshed in as little as 4 days is not an option for me!
     
  11. Brettla macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    Location:
    Monona,WI
    #11
    A week or two ago I might have thought to go and buy one, but with everything that has come out since then you would have to be crazy to buy one right now if you don't really need it.
     
  12. powerchord macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    Location:
    right where I am
    #12
    mmm... brain exercises. Clever. Me like very much:D

    Just the kind of thing we need here on this forum to counter all the pervading mind-shrill of anticipation/anxiety.
     
  13. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

    MacBookPro13"

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2011
    Location:
    Ireland
    #13

    Pretty much this, as impatient as it sounds. :eek:
     
  14. Cheerwino macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2011
    Location:
    S.C.
    #14
    If I did buy now, I'd go for a refurb from the Apple Store, so at least you could pay a bit less. They have a few, last I checked. But, I'm waiting it out.

    Wonder if anyone has done a study of the frequency of "Buy now or wait" threads just ahead of a refresh?
     
  15. Brettla macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    Location:
    Monona,WI
    #15
    I'm also ready for an update, but I think i've been delaying buying a computer longer than most people on the forum.
     
  16. Cheerwino macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2011
    Location:
    S.C.
    #16
    I was going to jokingly say, 'why you have a Mac Classic?' But, in looking at your list, yeah those are getting kind of vintage (not to be confused with retro).:cool:
     
  17. Ramasjang, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

    Ramasjang macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2009
    #17
    Got my uniMacbook 2GHz stolen....
    So just got a new 2.4GHz upgraded the HD to Momentus XT 500GB and 8GB ram.
    Really pleased with the setup, feels like my old one on speed.
    Did a fresh install and upgraded settings from time machine.
    Boots in under 21 sec, and no problem with HD, updated to firmware SD24 before fresh install of 10.6.4.

    It is bild in november and was shipped 4 hours after my order and delivered next day. I can't go weeks without a laptop therefore I those to buy now. The new nvidia GPU is a nice update from 9400M. Plus this one also carries sound in mini display --> HDMI.

    Only problem I have is boot camp under 10.6.6, I can't burn the driver software, but sounds like there should be a fix for it soon.
     
  18. tigress666 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2010
    Location:
    Washington State
    #18
    Honestly, given that they sound like they are going to update the MBPs sooner than later (and usually they update them in May it seems), I'd wait if you have a computer to rely on for now (even if it was a May update I myself would wait cause I basically could use my 2007 MB if something happened to my current MBP. But unless something happened that I needed to replace it, I'm not really in the market anyways ;) ).

    It sounds like there is a possibility for some major changes. Even if you don't like the changes, it means you can pick up an "older" (or rather the current models right now) for cheaper so you won't lose out either way.
     
  19. Brettla macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    Location:
    Monona,WI
    #19
    The thing that is a supprise to most people is that up to about 6 months ago I wasn't really worried about upgrading, I do have a 3.5 ghz quad core PC with 8 gb ram with Windows 7, but still I only use that about once a week. The powerbook was still doing most things I really needed it to do.
     
  20. Mangos86 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2011
    #20
    At this point I would go to the library if I needed a computer that bad. Just wait.
     
  21. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

    ThaDoggg

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2010
    Location:
    Peterborough, Canada
    #21
    I would wait if I were you unless you need one really bad. Even then I would still wait and see if you like the new models. If you don't like what's offered you can always buy the old model.
     
  22. htc fan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2011
    Location:
    Ottawa
  23. INEEDANOTEBOOK macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2010
    Location:
    Icy City
    #23

    BUYING NOW = MAKING A STATEMENT
    [i.e. I refuse to give in to this pointless tech arms race]

    WAITING = INDULGING IN ONE'S GEEKY NATURE
     
  24. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

    Funkymonk

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2011
  25. baxingo macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2011
    #25
    I just got my macbook pro 13" today, It does everything I want and need perfectly. Only thing I could see waiting for would be if the new 13's have a higher res screen, but thats not much of a problem.
     

Share This Page