Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NitroZip, Dec 31, 2010.

  1. NitroZip macrumors member

    NitroZip

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2010
    #1
    I'm looking at my first Mac a Macbook Pro 13"
    Should I buy now or wait for the new models?
     
  2. SandboxGeneral, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010

    SandboxGeneral Moderator

    SandboxGeneral

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    Location:
    Orbiting a G-type Main Sequence Star
    #2
    If you need it now, buy now. If not, wait a few months for the new ones. Otherwise check out the brownie thread in my signature. ;)
     
  3. docal97 macrumors 6502a

    docal97

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2006
    Location:
    Southampton
    #3
    same question that is asked here about 10x/day. Answer is always the same. Buy now if you need it, otherwise wait.

    If you do a search of the forums, you will see many threads devoted to this very topic......
     
  4. Jakedono macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2010
    #4
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    Yeh mate. I've decided to wait. No one knows when it is coming out. We hope sometime in late January. But it's most likely to be around march/April/may. At latest June.
     
  5. NickZac macrumors 68000

    NickZac

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
  6. Jakedono macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2010
    #6
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    If u need it for a specific reason buy it. But if u want it because of the specks u should wait because it will get better.
     
  7. robvas macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #7
  8. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

    Mr. Chewbacca

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2010
    Location:
    Dallas TX
  9. Jakedono macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2010
    #10
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    Well he obviously wants it. It is more of a matter of how important it is 4 him to buy it
     
  10. nippyjun macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2007
    #11
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Buy now and enjoy now.
     
  11. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

    AlphaDogg

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Location:
    Boulder, CO
    #12
    I think I will just post the obvious.

    If you need it now, buy it now and enjoy it now.

    If you don't need it and can wait, wait and buy it then, and enjoy it then.

    The thing that you have to ask yourself is whether you actually need it now, or if you can wait. I got my 13" MBP right after they released it. I actually got it 11 days after they released it, to be exact. I got it April 24, 2010. They released it April 13, 2010 (IIRC).
     
  12. NitroZip thread starter macrumors member

    NitroZip

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2010
    #13

    Wow, glad to see Mac people are just like PC people, thanks for the welcome to possibly
    the world of Mac users, maybe I'll save some money and just get another PC.
     
  13. freddy-b macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2009
    Location:
    Lisbon Portugal
    #14
    i bought mine on tues.. and i am very happy with it.
     
  14. JKK photography macrumors regular

    JKK photography

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2009
    #15
    People are people, regardless of what they type on.

    Anyways, a new release isn't going to make the current product any slower. There will just be something better. Didn't stop me, though; I'm typing this on a new 13" MBP, which I love wholeheartedly.

    Anyways, buy when you need it: technology is an Infinite Loop. ;)
     
  15. NitroZip thread starter macrumors member

    NitroZip

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2010
    #16
    I have always been a PC guy. Now I'm getting away from messing with them and just want it to work.
    Tried a MAcbook Pro the other day and it just seemed very intuitive loved the look, speed and flow.
     
  16. size100, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010

    size100 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2010
    #17
    This is kind of a rare case. When the MBP is using a CPU many years old and we should have more information on the 6th, it would be kind of stupid not to wait at least a little bit. Who knows they may announce that the new 13" MBP will only use C2D or a downgrade in gpu. That is not out of the question. That will make the decision much easier and you may or may not want to wait a few months till they come out.
     
  17. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

    Mr. Chewbacca

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2010
    Location:
    Dallas TX
    #18
    If you easly have the money and want it I would just go ahead and buy it, the mac store has some great referb deals. The new ones will be faster for sure but you have to be doing some serious programs to need it.

    If youre planning on financing it then you may consder saving up some cash and waiting till the end of Feb to buy. I'm sure by then we will know more.
     
  18. NitroZip thread starter macrumors member

    NitroZip

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2010
    #19
    As of right now Lightroom 3 will be the most resource intensive software that will be on it. I guess I'm in that, want it now but will the next Gen. be a big improvement mode.
     
  19. samk8000 macrumors regular

    samk8000

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    Location:
    toronto, ontario
    #20
    I got mine for $150 off and I think that that is a good deal. I bought mine 5 days ago because I've been waiting for a mac for a while now (I'm 13) and I really did not want to wait 3 months. I also got $50 off the warranty so I saved $300 in total and that sounded like a good deal
     
  20. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #21
    True and noobs never search

    this question has been asked a bazillion times

    Bottom line, if you can wait then wait. If nee one now buy one now. It's possible that we will not see new MBPs until Q2 of 2011
     
  21. nateo200 macrumors 68030

    nateo200

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2009
    Location:
    Northern District NY
    #22
    Lmao I just read that entire thread in your sig...hilarious.
     
  22. NitroZip thread starter macrumors member

    NitroZip

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2010
    #23


    Bottom line is when someone shows interest in something that I am interested in, I try to welcome them and help them, not slam them and call them a noob.

    Looking down and talking down to people doesn't help anyone.
     
  23. Kyffin macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    #24
    Hey NitroZip, how much have you played with a Mac? This is my first and not having used one before I really can see why people rave about them- its pretty amazing a machine (got the 13"), and just for what its worth I think the difference between PC and Mac will be massively more impressive than what the refresh will bring (That said I was on ancient Thinkpads before).

    I mean, I've been using Aperture3, ripping a DVD, downloading vast swathes of data, running iTunes with a large library and a bunch of other stuff all at the same time. I guess I am showing off, but the point is I'm amazed at how much my MBP can handle (and its the lowest spec one too).

    Although there may be a change in the processor/GPU I haven't heard that it'll come with lightpeak or anything radically different than the one available now (like more cores &c.)- so really we're probably looking at a bump in speed that'll not be as noticeable as things you can do yourself (like getting a faster hard drive). Disclaimer- then again nobody knows exactly what it'll be.

    TL/DR: if you bought one now it's a great machine, and, assuming you don't want it to predict the weather, it'll cope with the next few years too (and probably as well as the next one):)
     
  24. squaredonut macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2011
    #25
    Hi, if you want a switch to OS X now for work, or if your PC broke (like me ;)), I suggest that you should just go buy a new 13" from the Apple store (again, like I did). However, if you want to switch to OSX but you think you can bear with your PC for another 5-6 months, and possibly want the better specs in the new models then I suggest that you just wait. :)
     

Share This Page