Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buy Now or Wait?

• Total voters

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Really? Why does it keep showing 349 on their website??
B&H has some great sales in the recent weeks but not anymore. I would watch their website. They had $100 off with a $75 gift card and one free extra band. I assume sport or maybe now they add nylon.

Maybe shoot them an email to see when the next sale would be.

Reactions: beaver82

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
I voted "buy" though I'm usually a wait person. I originally got the Stainless Steel at launch, had it for a week, then returned it because I was honestly a little ashamed to have spent $800 (SS and classic leather), which is more than the cost of my iPad, for something that was cool but not vital and felt so first-gen.

But then this past February, I started thinking about the watch again and how cool it would be to have and how ok I'd be with the Sport pricing. The issue was I did not like the aluminum or Space Gray finishes for a watch. But the combination of the release of the gold aluminum plus Best Buy knocking a hundred bucks off the price (plus an extra $50 off an open box one) made it worth it to me to jump in. Picked up the gold Sport and the brown Classic leather band and I love it. If I'd waited for Gen 2, I'd probably be sweating the pricing again, but I spent so little on mine (including gift cards, I probably spent a total of $250 for watch AND band) that I'm happy to have it.

It's a cool device, very cool, but it really isn't a necessity like the phone is or even as fundamentally useful like the iPad. If you do lots of walking, running, etc, I can see it being even more useful (I don't exercise enough) but the reminders to get up and move around are having an effect on me for the better. The notifications are the best. Being able to pause/rewind podcasts while driving from my wrist instead of reaching for the phone is arguably a safety benefit. So since we're probably in mid-latish cycle, with the deals going on, you don't have much to lose by trying it out for the 6-8 months before a Gen 2 could conceivably come out. If Gen 2 is incredible, I can sell my gen 1. If it's just a small bump, I can wait for gen 3.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
I just got back from Target after purchasing my Apple Watch (sport, silver with white band) for $249.99 + tax. I could have bought one on eBay for $25 cheaper but didn't want to wait. Currently charging. Battery was dead from sitting on a shelf for a year. lol

Reasons why I bought an Apple Watch: I drive for a living and where I am texting while driving is illegal so I don't do it. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it...) I use Hey Siri on my iPhone SE to send messages and call while driving so I don't have to touch it, but I like to keep my phone in my pocket. This way I can use Hey Siri while keeping my phone safe. I also really like watches in general but I don't wear a watch while driving because cars have clocks. So I'll get daily use out of my watch. I'm primarily going to use it as a notification device. I hate pulling my phone out just to find out it's a spam/group email.

Reasons why I didn't wait for gen 2: I don't want a bloody camera on my watch. I want semi-decent battery life too. Damn it, why don't they listen to their customers? If I want to take a picture or Facetime someone (I don't video chat, just using it as an example here) I pull out my PHONE.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
If I could snag an Apple Watch Sport 42mm for $299.99 I'd probably return the SBSS I got just a couple days ago and use the Sport until the AW2 comes out. Should've gotten one when they were $100 off a few months back...

I really like the AW but at $500 (found a sale with $100 off) it's hard to justify keeping it for only a few months before a new one is released.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Anyone see any sales on the 42mm sport recently? Been checking Target and Best Buy but so far no dice.

May not be another sale for a few months or until the Watch 2 is released.

There was a sale before Christmas and the last sale seemed to run for a month between Valentine's Day right up until the Apple Event in March.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Brand new sports on Craig's List for $200 is sealed box. Some even have AC+
[doublepost=1460575535][/doublepost]
If I could snag an Apple Watch Sport 42mm for $299.99 I'd probably return the SBSS I got just a couple days ago and use the Sport until the AW2 comes out. Should've gotten one when they were $100 off a few months back...

I really like the AW but at $500 (found a sale with $100 off) it's hard to justify keeping it for only a few months before a new one is released.

I do not think we will see the AW2 till 2017

Reactions: jbachandouris

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Brand new sports on Craig's List for $200 is sealed box. Some even have AC+
[doublepost=1460575535][/doublepost]

I do not think we will see the AW2 till 2017

It's a good thing I'm leaning 80% towards keeping it. I really do enjoy owning/using the  Watch. If I don't return it before 14 days are up I'll be headed towards an Apple Store to get AC+ and a space black link bracelet.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It's a good thing I'm leaning 80% towards keeping it. I really do enjoy owning/using the  Watch. If I don't return it before 14 days are up I'll be headed towards an Apple Store to get AC+ and a space black link bracelet.

I had the space black 42mm with SB link bracelet but returned it for the leather loop. My wrist changes size during the day the the link bracelet was not quickly adjustable. It was good looking but the storm grey loop was is now my favorite.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
May not be another sale for a few months or until the Watch 2 is released.

There was a sale before Christmas and the last sale seemed to run for a month between Valentine's Day right up until the Apple Event in March.
Just last week Target had $100 off and the week (or 2 weeks) before it was Best Buy. I'm sure there will be more sales in the future.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I've been waiting for good sales, checking the MR Marketplace for a decent second hand AW. I'm going to roll the dice and wait 2 more months to see what WWDC brings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.