Buyers Remorse S3/SS/LTE?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Cnasty, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Cnasty macrumors 68040

Cnasty

I purchased the 42mm SBSS w/black Milanese and it is an absolutely beautiful watch but I spent a lot on it as we all know.

Almost $900

It is my first AW since series 1.

I have been wearing it since the weekend and the only real world use I am utilizing is my runs and notifications.

I feel like settling for an S3 non-LTE model would do the same for me and save me like $500 or so.

Let alone if I went down to an S2.

Anyone else return theirs?

I am being kind of ridiculous huh? :)

2. predation macrumors 65816

3. Ffosse macrumors 68000

It's a nice piece and I would hold onto it despite your buyer's remorse.

In a few months you would probably regret going cheaper.

4. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68040

Cnasty

I do but it feels like I could get the same satisfaction from a sport model Series 3 and figure out the "dress it up" thing later on.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    I thought about this but also I am a consistent tech upgrader and I have read how big of a hit the SS models get for resale values when new variants come up.

5. Ffosse macrumors 68000

Can you return it then for a refund?

Do that and go for an S3.

6. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

SBSS is very nice. I would personally never use the aluminum versions but that is just me. So, in reality, if you wanted to get SBSS with sport band, you can go from $800 to $649. LTE is up to you to save more but as apps rollout support, you may miss it, but that is the only change I would make to save money.

7. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68040

Cnasty

It is definitely a stunning piece. Feels great, nice gloss to it and blends nicely.

Maybe I just need to hear from the MacRumors fanatics like me to keep it and not downgrade. :)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    Yes I got it on launch day.

8. dL. macrumors 6502

I 100% feel ya and I was in the exact same shoes.

Before, I got a S0 version at launch (SS with Milanese) and shortly regretted as I only used it for notifications and occasional workout. I really didn't see the value of dropping 1k on it. What made it worse was how bloody slow it was, so I sold it for a significant loss and since then I've never felt comfortable getting another watch again knowing how much money I've lost.

This time, seeing how much more faster and matured this product has become, I decided to give it another chance, but with a different strategy. This time around, I got the base model non-LTE Sport with AppleCare+ instead, and the way I see it is:

- It works exactly the same as the more expensive units, functionality wise and speed wise. (Storage is less at 8GB vs 16GB)
    - The price of a SS + Milanese is almost the equivalent of 2 Sport models. In that case, I rather buy a S3 now, and a S4 next year and have the latest and greatest
    - If you're concerned about keeping the watch in mint condition, that's why I got AppleCare+ so if the watch do get destroyed, I can just pay to get it replaced (because cases look really tacky on it and I've tried). And if it doesn't, then it's easier to sell to the future owner

dL

9. Ffosse macrumors 68000

I'm just upgrading my S2 to an S3 (probably for minimal benefit) but I want one, anyway.

10. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68040

Cnasty

Those are all of the things I have said to myself for your reasons for the lower model as well.

The sticking point to me is they look much...cheaper and toyish? But I love the functionality which holds more weight imo.

11. Ffosse macrumors 68000

I've never thought the AW looked toyish, but I suppose the bands one uses make a great difference.

12. redavis41 macrumors member

redavis41

Don't do it. I did that for Series 2. Here's what ended up happening... I sold my sport for a slight loss and bought a SS a few months later. Minus Ebay fees, shipping fees, etc. I paid more vs just getting the SS. I went for Hermes this time because I don't see myself doing Series 4 as I love the design of this Apple Watch and will be upset if they go circular watch on next version, plus LTE is the only thing missing from the lineup that I wanted. Which I now get with the Hermes, plus I can dress it up and still workout with it. Plus no need for Applecare since Hermes comes with 2 years included.

13. cforster macrumors 6502

My opinion, for business dress, the sport model just does not look appropriate. I'm not trying to look like a pretentious ***hole when I say that, so please don't take it the wrong way. It's not like I judge others who disagree. However, for my personal taste, if you wear business attire frequently, I highly recommend the stainless steel models.

As far as the use case for cellular and paying more for it, I get that. I'm in a similar mindset, although I'll likely keep using mine on LTE. I do agree that for me, the use case is limited as I almost always have my phone on me. However, your only other options is to go with a series 2 that you can find somewhere that still has stock (which is pretty easy right now). Apple already knew this was a decision point and planned their Watch lineup appropriately to make you upgrade to the LTE model and pay additional $$ if you wanted SS.

I just don't think you'll be happy with a sport after buying it and wearing it. Just my 2 cents. I could be completely wrong.

14. ericg301 macrumors 65816

ive seen plenty in "business dress" wearing $20 timex watches with rubber straps. who cares?

for a product that needs to be replaced every 2-3 years, i'm going for the best value. and that's the sport models.

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

The watch model lineup is a mixture of features with fashion. Me? Not really into fashion, but I get that it's important to others. That's a component of the "worth" which really nobody can answer for the OP.

16. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68040

Cnasty

I don't think of you like that at all and I am battling that as well as I wear a suit and tie every single day and battling this as well.

I just think there is ways to dress it up a tad without having to take such a loss on a SS model when I go for next years but I also am telling myself...live in the now! Who cares about next year and depreciation.

17. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

Others offer great reasoning for the aluminum but me personally is all I can speak for. The SBSS looks so damn good and in a suit a tie even better. But it all comes down to you and if saving money is important versus ... as you say... living in the moment. :)

I just love my SS Hermès and many say it is a waste to spend a premium for a longer warranty and extra watch faces. I don’t care. That is your words. Do you care to have the SS or don’t care to have Aluminum.

18. cforster macrumors 6502

As far as depreciation goes, I posted my series 2 SS on CL last week and have minimal inquiries so far. I don't think it's posted at a terrible price @ $350, but I price appropriately to negotiate. My point is, IMO, while the phones hold their value quote well (although that is dropping every year as well) the watch holds its value much less from my observations.

I've just told myself its the price I pay for the cutting edge technology that I prefer to use. While I'm not wealthy, I can afford this in the budget I set for my family and account for it these days. Whereas I feel like I use to be able to sell my old  gear and make out a little better to buy the latest releases.

I'm just keeping my old series 2 SS to swap between my new SBSS. I like them both, so this is the first time I'm not flipping my old hardware.

19. dL. macrumors 6502

I thought they all look toy-ish to me. Maybe that’s why I am okay with the aluminum. At least with the aluminum, I don’t have to feel ocd about smudging the SS part everyday lol.

dL

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

Personally, I just took a DGAF approach. I wore a Garmin 610 as an everyday watch in business environments for years, including full suit&tie at client sites. If anyone cared I never learned of it. Same with a Garmin 920xt for a period of time, and then a Garmin FR235 with similar rubber many-holes band to the AW2 Nike+ which I've been wearing daily for the past year.

Now everyone's work environment is different, and maybe someone has someone higher on the ladder who's going to judge you for the brand and style of watch on your wrist regardless of the rest of your attire or even your ability to get the job done. I'm glad I've never been in that sort of environment.

21. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

SS, sapphire crystal and milanese are luxury on these watches.
    If you can afford it, enjoy it.
    I know i would like to have them too but i cannot afford them.

22. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Except for external cosmetics, the Aluminum version is the same as the Stainless Steel. If you're ok with it and don't need a professional style. Then by all means trade in for the pop can.

How's that for some snarky ridicule :D

Seriously though, get the style you're comfortable with. Don't worry what people think of you. It's all just external cosmetics, all of them function the same. I like the dressy feel of the Stainless Steel and the comfort of Sapphire crystal. But I also don't care what other people feel about what Watch I'm wearing. I see more aluminum :apple:Watches than I do any other version.

23. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I have a SS0 and ordered the sport version this go around ... while I am typically looking for ways to justify the better models, this one I just cant ... the SS was a great watch, and due to poor resale value will likely continue to be a great watch alongside my new sport LTE ... This is one of the few devices I dont feel the need to upgrade every year, but watches should be on a 5 year cycle ... the LTE was enough to bring me down from there ... and it dresses up just fine with the Milanese band or a nice leather band ... looks just as classy as the SS version with just. little less flash ... trust me, your tie, suit and shoes will be judged before your watch ...

24. cforster macrumors 6502

My work environment is fine with me wearing whatever I choose. However, my opinion on my personal appearance is that SS Watches look much better.

I have co-workers that wear the aluminum model and that’s fine, each to their own. (Especially the women that wear the gold or rose gold, I think it looks nice with business attire)

25. parseckadet macrumors 65816

parseckadet

You could compromise and exchange it for a version with the sport band. I think everyone's first band should be the sport, since it's just so versatile.