Buyer's remorse. **UPDATE**

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fel10, Mar 3, 2011.

1. fel10, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

So, I recently purchased the new MBP, even though I already had a late 2009 that was working perfectly fine. But after seeing the Geekbench scores, I was like, "wow, gotta have this baby". Yeah I know, stupid me.

For what I do, I don't really see that much of a difference in performance. At least not 2000+ dollars worth. And I can use the money to get the new iPad, and a SSD with more space, cause my 120GB is not enough for me anymore.

So my question is, if I take it back to the Apple store, and say that I'm not satisfied with the product, will they give me my money back, no questions asked???

UPDATE: So, after all this drama, I decided I'm going to keep it. I talked to my brother about my little drama, and I told him I was going to return my new MBP and keep my old one, and I that I rather sell my 2009 and buy the 2011 later, and get the iPad 2 instead. To my surprise, not only he told me he would buy the 2009 from me, but he would also pay for my iPad 2. I did not even think twice about it. So, to sum up, I'm keeping this awesome machine, and getting the iPad 2 next week. :D

2. Mik3F macrumors 6502

3. sydenham macrumors regular

4. murdercitydevil, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  5. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

You can tell them exactly what you just told us, and they'll gladly refund your money.

Edit: You won't be charged a restocking fee.

6. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

They'll ask you if anything is wrong with it. Let a genius look over the machine (mine took like 2-3 minutes) and then ask if you want anything else. Refund took 3 business days to show back up in my debit account. No restocking fee. Just have your receipt printed if you did the online email receipt originally.

7. 482214 macrumors 6502

If its out of the 14 day period then stick it on ebay quickly. Be honest in your description as to why your selling it.

You should get a figure reasonably close to what you paid. Think of the money you lost as an expensive learning curve/lesson.

Some people prefer to buy electronics off ebay, etc so they dont have to have their own details attached to that particular unit. i.e: Name, address, bank details attached to a laptops serial number and all the shops stored customer background data.

8. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

Awesome, thanks for the info bud.

9. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

I thought about that, but now that I think about it, I really don't see a reason to buy a whole new MBP unless:

1. I didn't already have one
    2. A complete redesign
    3. Mine breaks

So I rather get the money back, and spend it on stuff I actually need. I guess I just got sucked into the Geekbench score hype.

10. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you bought it at an apple store, but if you bought it from the online store, you can do it all online. Log in, go to the order details, RMA it. Ship it in and wait for your refund.

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

For everyday tasks, the new processors are definitely not the be all end all of things. You should just return it and get the SSD.

12. brianscotch macrumors newbie

even if it's outside the 14 day return policy take it back as long as youre within a reasonable amount of time a manager can easily do an override.

13. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

14. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

Lol tell me about it.

15. dime21 macrumors 6502

when i was 7 years old, my parents had a surprise birthday party for me at chuck-e-cheese and invited all my friends. there was games, fun, and tons of huge cheese pizzas. i was so excited, i gobbled up like 5 slices of this greasy pizza..... and immediately puked all over the floor. i guess some of us learn earlier than others not to get excited by all the hype. lol. btw i'm typing this on my late 2006 mbp. works just fine for me.

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I have buyers remorse too.

I just bought a Ferrari and I don't know how to drive it faster than 20 MPH. :rolleyes:

17. sydenham macrumors regular

Keep it and sell the 2009 while you can still get something out of it. You have a killer screaming machine. This should keep you good for another few years. The more I think about it the better these new Macbook Pros sound. Almost twice the speed of the last generation. 1 gig Video memory. Sata bus is twice as fast, and especially Thunderbolt. I know what you mean about not seeing any major differences in day to day tasks, but just wait till Lion comes out. Or better yet when these new Sata 3 SSDs hit the market. Your new machine will scccrrreeeeeaaaaaammmm. I am now contemplating selling my 2010 15 i7 266. Do I need more speed? No not really, however the idea of getting one of these new SSDs and the possibilities of Thunderbolt are too tempting. One cable to some kind of dock or hub that can carry Audio and Video, house super fast hard drives, and who knows what else they can think of. This is definitely a good upgrade to your 2009.

18. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I dont know what has been said in this thread but you should just sell the 09' and buy a maxed out 15/17inch MBP and I don't think you'll be disappointed!:D:apple:

19. sydenham macrumors regular

You respond to a thread you didn't even read? Brilliant.

20. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

Ok, but do I really need all the power that the 2011 MBP has, when all I'm going to be using the MBP for is Pixelmator, iTunes, iPhoto, Safari, iMovie, Trillian, Hrandbrake and non graphic intensive games like "Angry Birds"?

21. TheHoff macrumors 6502

No you don't. Not at all. Handbrake will be significantly faster, but that is about it. iMovie and iPhoto will feel faster when you're doing rendering tasks but probably not in everyday use.

22. sydenham macrumors regular

It really is a tough call. I noticed you have a Vertex 2, and the only problem with the 2009s is the Sata 2 doesn't seem to work with many hard drives, so you have to roll back to Sata 1. Did it work with yours? If it was the middle of the cycle and you still had the 2009 I might say keep your old one. But you have a new one at the beginning of the cycle so thats pretty cool. Again, I know what you mean with it being a bit overkill, but put the Vertex 3 hard drive in when it comes out and wait 6 months for an external Thunderbolt HD, and you will be pretty good for a few years. You probably really don't need the speed, but it is sure nice to have. On the other hand, the 2009 has the amazing battery life going for it. I still think you might be able to get a surprisingly good price if you sell it now. But if you wait another year you might not, so maybe you should go on ebay and see what the used 2009s are going for. Just my 2 cents.

23. terzinator macrumors 6502

Ew. Um, why? Like, because they plan to do bad stuff?

So, if I was the person who bought it at the store, would I want the machine with my details on it to go to a person who didn't want their details on it?

24. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I'd sell the 2009.

25. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

The people that are telling to sell my old 2009, I already promised my brother I would give it to him in case I get a new model.