Buyer's Remorse?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iBilal, May 12, 2015.

1. iBilal macrumors regular

iBilal

how many of you got the rMB?

anyone with buyer's remorse?

2. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I bought the base model. Selling my 15" Macbook Pro. No regrets at all. Love this computer. I use my iMac if I need something more capable. Sold my iPad as well.

3. 11fajado macrumors newbie

Got the 1.2 Ghz and I'm honestly finding it a little bit laggy.

Am considering returning it for a refund and just ordering the maxed out 1.3 Ghz online.

4. David58117 macrumors 65816

Laggy when doing what?

5. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

U know laggy. When doing things like opening 8 desktops and just swiping between them. Opening a bunch of programs and swiping between those, then using launch pad and mission control. All those real world use cases.

6. holycat macrumors member

I have just returned my 1.3. It is still quite laggy compared to my 2013 maxed up MBA.

7. bibyfok macrumors 6502

bibyfok

Wow... Such sarcastic. You know, before making fun on someone you should think about it. I have the same problem: it just feel laggy.

And I'm doing REAL WORLD WORK.
    Here is the programs loaded:
    Dropbox, Mailbox, Outlook 2016, Chrome, MS Lync, Reeder, Fantastical 2, Wunderlist, Word 2016 and Excel 2016.
    Don't tell me I run too much program at once. If there is a limit of program to run to be able to WORK, Apple should not be selling these. I'm not doind anything intensive, my CPU is barely at 5% when i'm writing, but the UI just lags.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I love when people say this and have no idea what people mean. Swiping through desktops is a very "real world" use scenario. Just b.c you do not do that does not mean others do not. Is that real world enough for you?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ia3l0oWbY

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

OMG not the lag!

It's a laptop for daily use not a Call of Duty tournament where FPS = more kills.

----------

So it fails to swipe between desktops? No. Just drops a couple of frames with all the eye candy on.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

That is far from a few frames. That is unusable to me and many others. A few frames is how I would describe the normal UI lag people experience with Yosemite.

11. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Good. I had lag on the 15.4 base model and the 13.3. So then should apple not be selling these? I just don't get it. I'll take lag and retina MacBook as opposed to no lag and no retina MacBook. My ui lags on occasion yes. I'm not gonna take it back because of that. In other words I don't sit there and try to see how much it is lagging, I use it, if it were too much I would get rid of it. I would Not spend another $300 for an upgraded model that others have complained lags as well.

----------

I do understand this. I experienced this on a 2013 13.3 pro and occasionally a 15.4. I got rid of those so I could enjoy the same great feature on a smaller laptop.

12. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Stop being dramatic. It's slow if you don't use Expose, not unusable.

Yeah it's slower than my rMBP, then you are comparing a quad core machine with more RAM and a dGPU to an ultraportable running a 5W chip with integrated graphics. That it runs it that well is impressive in my opinion.

13. bibyfok macrumors 6502

bibyfok

I had a 15.4 rMBP 2012, and I still have a rMBP 13.3. I had lags at the begening because the OS was not optimized to retina resolutions, but now I don't have this on those computers anymore and I think it's normal: when you pay 1500-2500€ for a computer you should not have any lag on OS level !!!
    The case with the rMB is different as retina resolution is used for years now and OS should be enough optimized to support those graphics. If a NEW computer have lags on OS UI level, it is not normal at all, and I'm one of those who are thinking to get a refund and use my rMBP13 back because of those lags. It is not acceptable to sell a 1799€ (in my case) computer that lags on desktop. And if you accept that, you are not only sarcastic but also completly idiot.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

nothing dramatic about that video. That is not normal.

15. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Right because pondering these situations over and over when one has already made a choice is completely genius. I accept the lag because i paid $1200 and it is not much worse than the 13.3 I had not because I'm an idiot. And as I said I don't sit there and look for UI lag as it appears many people on here do. I actually try to use the machine. To be honest i don't experience much of the LAG ghost so i am quite pleased.

16. gekkonaut macrumors newbie

I would wait until 10.10.4 before you worry too much about the lag.

17. burgman, May 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015

burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Of course it is, a product that doesn't perform magic for an owner with attention deficit personality that would want to flip through screens like that doesn't make the product defective. It is not made for that user. It was however made for me, and many others. If some posters want to call that real world usage then ok, you are welcome to spend your money on a product that fulfills your needs. Having sold a 2014 13 inch rMBP 256gb to purchase my rMB I can assure you that machine lags the same way. Welcome to Yosemite.

----------

I get it Apple is forgiven for initial UI lag on one machine fixed by updates, (not really) but just because this new machine has a retina screen it's not ok? The fact the chipset is brand new makes no difference to you? My old car won't do 200 miles per hour, that Bentley over there will, they both have four tires so something must be wrong with my car.

18. mattopotamus, May 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015

mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

ok, here is the other video (a rMB) with no lag like the first one. Stop tricking yourself into thinking that first video is normal UI lag.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJnjg-H9euc

19. bibyfok macrumors 6502

bibyfok

What kind of sorcery is this?

20. melb00m macrumors regular

No buyers remorse at all. I love it. Very portable, amazing display, and near perfect build quality.

Just don't expect it to be as powerful as a MBP, which it isn't.

21. Barna Biro, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015

Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

@mattopotamus: I agree that the behavior presented in the first video is not normal. The thing is, we can't just guess the reason behind it. As far as we know, something CPU intensive might have been executing in the background... these seemingly random freezes / delays are something that can happen on any computer ( PC / Windows included; I've experienced similar in the past ).

Sometimes, it might indeed be a hardware issue, but it's not a guarantee. Is it persistent? ( have you left the computer on for a few hours - in case it is indeed executing something heavy in the background, it might eventually finish and the issue might go away ) Have you tried re-installing Yosemite ( clean install )? What are the specs of the rMB in the first video and what are the specs of the one shown in the second video? Where both machines using the same screen resolution during the test? Having more details might be very useful...

EDIT: Ok, so the first video has a comment saying it's the base 1.1/256/8 model. What about the rMB in the second video? Also, just because FV was off and indexing didn't show as running, it doesn't mean something else wasn't running in the background. Did you check the Activity Monitor? Any screenshots of the two?

22. cdarlington1 macrumors regular

cdarlington1

No Remorse

No remorse. Bought the base model. Does exactly what I wanted from it. I have 5 other macs in various sizes, shapes and speeds. Each does what I need it to do.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

With that particular macbook is was a problem no matter what. I tried 3 factory resets and the problem was the same a few days later. I returned it for a new one that is flawless and does not lag, outside of the occasional yosemite problems.

I was trying to point out that issues like that could easily cause someone to exchange the rMB. I personally owned two units that had the same behavior. Fortunately, I was willing to try a third time and got a good one.

They were all base 1.1/256/8, all indexing was completed.

24. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

It might have indeed been some hardware issue. Good to hear that you got a good one in the end ( some might not even notice / care / be bothered enough ). Just another proof that nothing is perfect and something being expensive is by no means a guarantee of quality / flawlessness... thankfully, we have the option to send it back and get a new one without any additional costs ( excluding your own time / effort / nerves of course ). :cool:

25. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

agreed. I am glad I gave it another shot b.c it is easily the best laptop I have owned. Powerful enough to be my daily driver and the portability is unmatched.