Buying a Mac Pro - will ask for discount

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by paulcristo, Jan 2, 2017.

1. paulcristo macrumors newbie

Howdy, everybody.

I'm in the market for a new Mac Pro and since the damned things are over three years old now, I thought I'd ask for a discount.

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what would be a reasonable discount to request. I was thinking 25%. Also, I'm wondering where I might have the best chances in obtaining a discount: a retail Apple Store or calling in.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

2. Wiltonian macrumors member

Wiltonian

Good luck! My understanding is that retailers' margins are much less than 25%, though the Mac Pro might be an exception.

3. G4DPII macrumors regular

G4DPII

10% is the normal margin, especially for the samller resellers. You can alwayd ask, the wrost they could do would be to just laugh at you.

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Discounts from Apple? hahahahaha!

But, there's no harm in asking. I doubt anybody will really laugh at you (other than some of the folks here :D )
    You never know for sure, until you ask. Just don't go in expecting that Apple will discount anything.

One option would be refurbished MacPros. Refurbished (which are previously sold units, returned for whatever reason, then refurbished as new for sale) MacPro has a max discount of 15%, if there is a discount at all. And, your only choice for different configurations is whatever Apple may have in stock for refurbished.

5. fastlanephil macrumors 65816

fastlanephil

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Reseller making 10% on :apple:? Lol.
    Op let us know how you get on. Look for an open box or refurb. Failing that can you (or someone you know) qualify for an educational discount?

7. MacStu09 macrumors regular

Seeing as similar spec'd computers (used) are now in the $400-500 range, I wouldn't accept any less than a 75-80% discount. (Obviously, I'm half-joking. The main point is, please, do not waste your hard earned money. Even $600 is over-paying for the current Mac Pro. You're permanently stuck in 2013 the moment you buy it, and already behind every decent modern desktop.)

8. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

CapnDavey

a discount on a so called new mac pro good luck Apple only shaves a few hundred bucks off prices on older stuff

9. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

Get a bigger discount by building a Hackintosh, or a PC with the same specs.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

11. Chicane-UK macrumors 6502

If you can befriend someone who works in education, they can net you a 5-10% discount on Apple hardware.

12. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

13. Hank Carter macrumors 6502

Buy a Win10 workstation or keep waiting. Actually just buy a Win10 workstation.

The Mac Pro is so outdated that you may as well just set your money on fire.

14. Porco, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017

Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Good luck with that OP! If you're going to try for a discount I would try everywhere you'd be happy to buy from. You could even try to see if anywhere would beat any other discounts you manage to be offered. Are you opposed to buying used/refurbished though? I don't envy anyone who needs to buy one right now.

Well not really, you could only actually get one in the second half of December 2013. Not that three years and fifteen days old is all that much better, but I don't think it's 'almost four years' unless you count that as anything at all over three.

If we get to July without anything happening it'll be nearer four than three.

15. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

if you bend the rules like that, is the AppleCare in the name of the educator or in your name?

16. Chicane-UK macrumors 6502

If you can chaperone the person to login to your campus network (via VPN or whatever) they can place the order as themselves. Just being on a campus network is (or at least used to be) enough (as access to the academic store was restricted to certain college / university address ranges!).

17. kennyisalive macrumors regular

You should get AT LEAST 25% off... less than that is highway robbery for hardware that is 4 years old...