Buying a new car.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by greygray, Aug 30, 2011.

1. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Hey guys, yet another 'help me choose a car' thread.. But I need help with regards to buying a new SUV. I am currently driving a Range Rover Sport 3.0 Tdv6 HSE, and I'm planning to have an upgrade to either a BMW X5, Range Rover, Audi Q7, Escalade or a Mercedes GL. I have a family of 3 kids and I frequently fetch my elderly parents around too. I don't mind SUVs with a sporty edge but they must have enough space for 7 and some groceries..

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Get a Marauder otherwise you're just playing about:

Attached Files:

3. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Please no Escalade! Those things are god-awful, IMO.

As a young male I'd rank them as follows aesthetic wise:

1. BMW X5
    2. Range Rover
    3. Audi Q7 (too many curves)
    4. Mercedes GL (reminds me of a Toyota Highlander)

Have you test driven any of them yet, OP? And I assume you're buying new?

4. greygray thread starter macrumors 68000

greygray

Yes, I've test-driven the RR and the X5 and yes, I'm buying new. Hmm, the X5 is the best handling vehicle of the list above, while the RR offers the best comfort levels, space and practicality for a family SUV so far IMO. I've yet to test the Q7 and GP, though I certainly can't bring the family in a Q7 for off-road stints, as it isn't built for that based on most reviews.. Is the Escalade really that bad? :p I've been reading reviews about it too and I guess I'll give that option a skip...

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Completely agree.

Have you thought about the Lexus SUV yet? I forgot the name, but it looks similar to a highlander (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing), and it has seating room for 7.

I'd also go with the X5, but I don't know if you could fit 7 in there. Maybe 5 comfortably. 6-7 would have to go into the trunk area, and I have no idea if the X5 has 'seats' in the trunk.

6. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

There is a 3rd row option (2 smaller seats) in the X5 for something around $1,700.

7. greygray thread starter macrumors 68000

greygray

The X5 has the 7-seater option, though the trunk would be totally cramped out by then, leaving no space for groceries.. Do you mean the Lexus RX? Or the model that looks like a Toyota Prado Land Cruiser?

8. Surely Guest

Surely

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Escalades are lovely vehicles, but they're terribly expensive (at least for my budget!)

I have a Ford Expedition. Seats seven comfortably and still has room in the back for groceries. I don't know how sporty it is, though. I know it's bigger than most of the models you listed, but I average around 17.5-18.0 mpg overall.

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Oh okay, I didn't know that the X5 had 7-seater capabilities. But again, the X5 isn't exactly the biggest SUV, so it would be an extremely tight fit.

I mean the GX. Or the LX if you can afford that. But I don't know what type of budget you're on.

11. Sankersizzle, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

And also in the opinion of Consumer Reports. They ranked it the worst value for the money.

Yeah, afraid so. Good choice.

Just another stupid criminal story. ;)

Looks isn't everything when it comes to automobiles.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't only mean looks, although I think Escalades are quite beautiful aesthetically. I'm talking about interior comfort, amenities, the comfort of the ride, roominess, utility, etc. The biggest (and only, IMO) drawback to them is that they're VERY expensive. My SUV (in my opinion) comes close to an Escalade in all of these areas, but cost me about half as much.

14. rovex macrumors 65816

15. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Cadillac CTS-V Wagon (Corvette disguised as a family car). Just strap the last two people on the roof. ;)

16. Gregg2, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

Gregg2 macrumors 603

Consumer Reports:
    Lowest overall road test score in its class
    Second worst reliability rating they give out (one notch below average - it's a sliding scale)
    "Lows: Braking, handling, fuel economy, high step-in, tiny third row seat, reliability" (or lack thereof)

CR says "Too unreliable..."
    Patriot - average
    Compass average
    Liberty - 1 below average
    Grand Cherokee not rated in 2011
    Wrangler - 1 below average

17. MacHamster68, Aug 30, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i'd go for something not mentioned here if i had to transport 7-8 people and still need some bootspace leftover and IF it had to be a SUV ...

Chevrolet Suburban

[​IMG]

or a

Lincoln Navigator

[​IMG]

ok if i had to transport lots of people and groceries for them all i would never even choose a SUV and go for MPV like a Volkswagen transporter shuttle , LWB plenty of space for 8 with luggage space to get them all in holiday too , far more practical then a SUV, more economical , and more flexible too when it comes to the inside layout

[​IMG]

and thats how it can look like (thats the SWB model the LWB is longer like pictured above)
    [​IMG]

4 motion optional, that means 4x4 as i know you americans have no tarmac on your roads
    Tarmac is a type of road surface:D

18. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Suburban - average reliability
    Navigator - 1 notch above average

We're getting somewhere.

Best reliability in that class: Ford Flex

Yeah, I know that there's more to the choice than predicted reliability...

19. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Its funny, I think both BMW SUVs are SUPER chickish. I'd put the Audi at the top of the list, its very nice probably has some of he best technology and other amenities of those on your list.

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

International CXT, of course. That way you don't even need to look at the great unwashed as you squish them into pulp. And the height of the cab keeps you out of the stench as well.

[​IMG]

21. GfPQqmcRKUvP, Aug 30, 2011

GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Although I doubt CR took into account the fact that you can get a ridiculous amount of money off of the list price. You could walk in there with three shirt buttons and a rubber band and they'd contemplate the offer. And that's no diss on the Escalade, there just aren't that many people in the market for one right now.

Out of your choices, I'd have to go with the RR. I've always been a fan and the interior is first-rate. The only drawback, and it is a drawback, is the reliability. If you can live with that, and some can, I think it's your best choice by far. If you want something luxurious that can also haul around a lot of stuff, I'd take a look at the Lexus LX. This thing is a beast. My mom had a Land Cruiser (which the LX is based on) a while ago and it was a great car even though the brakes would constantly have to be replaced because of the mass they were trying to slow.

http://www.lexus.com/models/LX/index.html

So, RR or the LX in my book.

22. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Own an Escalade and it is awesome IMO. However I wouldn't suggest it in this case, especially after looking at your list.

After getting back from the local BMW today (taking deliver of a 3 series later this week) I would suggest the X5. If you really want have some fun get the M. I just love the vehicle.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/vehicles/2012/x5/xDrive35iSportActivity/compare/default.aspx

And I was going to add: At ~ $40,000 more than any of the other vehicles I would avoid a Range Rover.

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't care what Consumer Reports thinks, a Flex is NOT in the same class. My wife drives one. It's a great vehicle, but it's a crossover. A Navigator and a Suburban are true SUV's.

24. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

There's not one reliable vehicle on your list. Can you guys fit in an Acura MDX?

25. puma1552 macrumors 601

Escalades are cool if you like to sell drugs.

Escalade=Ghetto wet dream