Buying in USA

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Hi,

I'll be in USA for several weeks and I was thinking about buying an apple watch there (because it's way cheaper). Now it seems you just can't go pickup one without a reservation.

So I was planning doing this but you need a USA base phone number (for online reservation)...and I don't have one.

As you might know, there are a lot of apps that give the possibility to have a US phone number. Problem is, for this reservation, you need to send a text to a phone number that is not a 10 digits number like "83372".

Unfortunately, all apps I tried refuse to send text messages if it's not a 10 digits number...

Do you know any apps that can send message to theses special phone numbers ?

Or is it possible for me to go directly to a Apple store in USA and take a reservation without doing this online process ?

Thanks

3under2

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden
How about myphonedesktop? It costs 5.00 but maybe that would work? Says you can send and receive but I haven't tried it or checked the reviews.

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks everyone!

I'll try to make a reservation with the alternatives above and if it doesn't work, I'll just walk in and try!!

and just for testing purpose, I tried to make a reservation with my canadian phone and the process worked all the way... But I didn't do the last step. Maybe it will work... Or I'll have a error message when I confirm...

dthmtlgod

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Thanks everyone!

I'll try to make a reservation with the alternatives above and if it doesn't work, I'll just walk in and try!!

and just for testing purpose, I tried to make a reservation with my canadian phone and the process worked all the way... But I didn't do the last step. Maybe it will work... Or I'll have a error message when I confirm...
The other day i made a reservation and got one, but then bought a second one for my wife without a reservation.

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
I tried with a lot of apps and I never gets the answer back from Apple. The only way I have a answer is when I use the real Message app from my iphone...

I'll just walk in and see what happens

Anya B

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Can't you buy a cheap throw away mobile/cell in the US? In the UK you can buy a Pay as you Go mobile for £4.99.

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
FYI, I went to an apple store here in Canada and they wanted to sell me all the apple watches I wanted right away without reservation. I supposed it's the same thing in the US.

Reactions: PirateP and 3under2

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Do you know if buy applecare+ for apple watch in USA, is it valid in Canada?

The guy at apple store told me that's it's only valid in the country I buy it. So I would have to buy it in canada...