Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sOwL

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Nerd Cave
so actually this makes it easy enough to just use a pirated dvd to install mac os x. is it my just opinion or this is just a ridicullus perspective of security?

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
so actually this makes it easy enough to just use a pirated dvd to install mac os x. is it my just opinion or this is just a ridicullus perspective of security?

It's not ridiculous. Consider that if you are trying to install Mac OS X at all, you've already bought their computer.

sOwL

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Nerd Cave
no, not at all. it could be a hackintosh or whatever. But still, even if it is their hardware, that could mean that a user wouldnt have to pay for ANY new version of software. I wouldnt like a variety of users to pirate macosx, as like it as it is and i rly dunno what will be the measures if apple tries to fight it... But having a serial number is just the way such things should be..

bohemka

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
This is more of a language/OS/functionality issue in regard to region of purchase, but this seems like the right place to ask.

My hard drive on my G4 15" alu PB just crapped out and I'm about to replace it at the Apple certified tech down the street... in Germany. I was running 10.3.9, so I thought this would be a good time to clean install Leopard on the new drive, and maybe even include iLife and iWork (the mac box set... which is about 25% off here until the 31st... is it also at a discount now in the states?).

Am I going to run into problems installing an OS and apps purchased in Germany? Should I be ordering this from the states?

Thanks for the help.

Grfelix

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2007
Will Apple know if I violate the terms of the license?
Probably not. In the case of Tiger, there are no serial numbers that need to be entered, and the software does not contact Apple to verify licensing.

Is this the case for Leopard and every OS by Apple?

Thanks! 

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
Hey everyone,

One of my friends got a tiger, then when she went to one of her friend's house, it occurs that her friend has got a leopard installation dvd and thus she upgraded without knowing anything.

Then a few days later, she's just realised that she hasn't register her mac and she's just realised that she will need to upgrade the leopard (to 10.5.7).

In this case of her misbehave, would Apple caught her if she upgrade or register her mac?

P.S. I myself, own an original leopard that comes with my macbook aluminum =)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Hey everyone -

Just wanted to pass along some information, the official Leopard retail DVDs were finally updated to 10.5.6... of course, Apple had to do this just BEFORE 10.5.7 came out.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Hey everyone,

One of my friends got a tiger, then when she went to one of her friend's house, it occurs that her friend has got a leopard installation dvd and thus she upgraded without knowing anything.

Then a few days later, she's just realised that she hasn't register her mac and she's just realised that she will need to upgrade the leopard (to 10.5.7).

In this case of her misbehave, would Apple caught her if she upgrade or register her mac?

P.S. I myself, own an original leopard that comes with my macbook aluminum =)

You do not need to register anything to update OSX. Apple has no idea that the version that you are running is pirated or not. Mac OS X does not "phone home" like Windows does.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
You do not need to register anything to update OSX. Apple has no idea that the version that you are running is pirated or not. Mac OS X does not "phone home" like Windows does.

Not at all? I remember I had a "send registration" link from my home folder once when I first start using my Mac. But no problem, I trust you, I also got the same impression from reading this thread.

lcloon

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
You will have to buy the Family Pack, as the single version is only meant for one computer.

Hi there, If I have a MB which only have Tiger in it, and I install a retail version of Leopard in, then later I un-install it to use back Tiger. Can I use the retail version of Leopard in another MB or MBP which don't have Leopard in it?

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
Hi there, If I have a MB which only have Tiger in it, and I install a retail version of Leopard in, then later I un-install it to use back Tiger. Can I use the retail version of Leopard in another MB or MBP which don't have Leopard in it?

Yeap, if you're moving it form one to another, that is, you remove the old version - you're simply doing a licence transfer from one computer to another which is perfectly ok :)

enoves24

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
Greenville, SC
Newbie question here which I hope I'm posting in the right spot:

I just purchased an old ibook G4 that has OS 9 running on it. I know I have to install updates, but would I still be able to go straight to Leopard 10.5.6 if purchased?

xxSpudxx

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
I just called apple. They said the $29 disk is for upgrading only. It will not allow you to wipe the drive and install.

he further said that if you want to wipe your drive in the future, you will have to use the Leapord disk that came with your mac, then use the upgrade disk again.

If you want the full install and wipe capability, you will need to buy the box set.

Straight from their mouth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.