Buying MBP, AppleCare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matt15f, Mar 19, 2011.

1. matt15f macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

With the high quality of the apple products, what's the point of getting AppleCare?

Most extended warranties on consumer electronics are designed to end before probable failure and are just a revenue stream. There's a reason best buy tries to sell you one on every product in the store.

2. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

The first time I bought AppleCare it saved me ~$1000. Safe to say I'll be buying it again.

3. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Saved me over 400$. Its worth it to me as well.

4. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

For example, if your logic board happens to fail a year out of warranty, you're looking at several hundred dollars to have your computer repaired - in which case AppleCare would pay for itself. The same thing applies for other parts as well.

On a computer that costs over a thousand dollars, it's worth it in my opinion as it gives you peace of mind that you're covered if your computer fails instead of having to worry.

5. wonder-boy macrumors newbie

wonder-boy

I haven't bought apple care for my mbp, yet. I will be buying it before the year goes out unless I sell it for another mac.
    Apple repairs can be very very expensive, motherboard replacements on some macs cost £800+ and that's just the part!

6. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

7. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Look and Ask around, they are price variants over the market.

Buy if you can afford , don't if you cant.

In most cases i would believe the apple care is good for battery replacement as they tend to lose their life after 12 months.

8. NikonD3s macrumors newbie

AppleCare is much cheaper at most big camera stores than the Apple store.

9. matt15f thread starter macrumors member

Yea looks like i'll go ahead and get it. Nice link where its only 179 for 13", thanks.

10. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I may get it. I don't know yet. I've only had the MBP 10 days now, so still plenty time to decide. My only thing is I'm thinking there will be a new design next year. In that case I'll likely sell this one before.

I've had many Mac and never had a problem even after years of use. This is the most expensive Mac I've ever purchased though so if a issue did occur I'd be up to lose a lot more.

11. tcador macrumors regular

Piece of mind for me since i'm planning on keeping this machine for years to come.

12. skier777 macrumors 6502

Statistically you lose money on it, but its simply an insurance, just like car and home.
    I recommend buying it towards the end of the first year:
    I got my MBP in june of 2010, and dropped it in February of 2011. I cant say for certain, but had I had Apple Care they could have simply voided the entire thing because of the drop. But I took the computer in and showed them that it was in working order, and then bought the applecare in store that day. Because I proved it still worked BEFORE i got apple care, im in the clear for any new problems that occur in the next two years. I didn't ask if they would have stripped me of all service if I had bought it before.

13. selvage macrumors member

if u buy applecare near the end of your 1st year of the standard warranty are you protected 3 yrs from the apple care purchase (4yrs of protection) or from the mpb purchase (3yrs of protection)

14. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

AppleCare coverage is 3 years from the original date of purchase of the computer. So it extends the standard warranty by 2 years.

BTW I'm not sure why no has mentioned this but is also includes 3 years of AppleCare telephone support. I found this invaluable when I needed quick answers or was truly stuck on something.

15. NikonD3s macrumors newbie

I heard that Apple Care telephone Support is free to everyone. Also it is better to purchase everything under one receipt, including Apple Care. So if you decide to get a Apple monitor, peripherals etc. later, they would not be covered.

16. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Two year extension. Three years total from the date of MBP purchase.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare telephone support is available for 90 days under the standard warranty. If you want it longer than that, you have to buy AppleCare, which will extend telephone support to 3 years from date of purchase.
    As rkaufmann87 and diamond.g said, this is false. AppleCare extends your 1 year warranty for 2 additional years, for a total of 3 years of coverage.

18. msavwah macrumors 6502

If you are worried about it and you can afford it, buy it. Peace of mind for a price.

APP is a great program, Apple support is second to none.

19. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Best Buy makes more money from the warranty than they do from the computer.

20. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

21. Zeus86 macrumors member

Applecare has saved me a lot of money. I had to get my optical drive replaced twice which was $250 each time. I had to get the hinge replaced which was close to $150 and the housing case replaced numerous amount of times and that is around $110. All of this happened after the 1 year warranty. I believe it's worth it. I used that Blackbook close to 6 years.

22. HBOC macrumors 68020

Having AppleCare caused me to get a brand new Quad i7 2.2GHZ on 2/24, getting a Matte (hi-res AG) screen added next week and a refund of $120 from my unused, prorated AppleCare. No doubt I WILL be buying AppleCare before next February.

BEst $239 I have spent in a long time.

23. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

2 years ... not 3.

24. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Depends on how you look at it. You get the hardware warranty extended for 2 years beyond the included, but you get free apple support online and by phone for 3 years and not the 90 days included with the original sale. Might not seem like much, but if you have no apple store nearby, it is a big deal. Also it helps get enterprise level support if it is for a server (have had no issues, and didn't have ability to take to a store, without apple care it, they won't help without you purchasing a support option).

I buy it as it has paid for itself over and again for me. They had several repairs on my MBP and support calls on my server that cost me nothing. In the end it even got me a brand new MBP swapped out when mine had issues and 7 days left on the Apple Care (went from a 2.4 C2D 2008 to a 2.3 i7 Quad 2011 all for the cost of Apple Care, int bad for the $230 I paid for it).