Buying PowerPC Macs In 2012

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Goftrey, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I think Tom has hit the nail in the head with this video, it's sad but I have to be honest, unfortunately, it's true.

2. Xandros macrumors regular

I can't get over how pale that guy is. He looks like if sun shone on him he'd spontaneously combust. Plus he needs a hair cut. But yea he isn't really saying anything anyone with half a brain doesn't already know...

3. ashio83 macrumors newbie

Dont be so ignorant. He suffers from Photophobia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photophobia Tom is a great guy and he makes great videos.

4. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

Even among us PowerPC enthusiasts, I don't really see folks advocating for the use of a PowerPC as the primary machine in a modern production environment. For individual use, most folks already know on their own when their computer no longer meets their needs, either as a primary or secondary machine.

More importantly, though, what is that on the wall behind him? A lazer generated meteor shower? That's pretty cool.

5. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

It's a Laserpod, I've been on the lookout for one for ages :)

----------

Completely agree, the number of people who have posted things like that in his videos is countless.

6. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

PowerPC = media center.
    That's the most I could get out of any PPC (G5 PM not included).

7. Nova77 Guest

I still don't understand how a 17 years old dude NEEDS the latest Mac Pro. I don't think the average computer user needs to be that much up to date. Who the heck can't live with CS4, definitely needs google chrome and wants the latest Lion OS.

90% people just use facebook/youtube/itunes/firefox/watch movies. All of them can use a PPC as a main machine in 2012.

For the others.... I understand the lack of support for new apps is a problem. If your work depends on having no compatibility issues with software..... well get an intel FAST, before Apple switches to ARM or god knows what else....

8. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I do agree with this. An average user can do a lot with a PowerPC Mac. Of course though a lot of people need the laest version of Photoshop, Final Cut etc.

And I was shocked when he got a Mac Pro (before the Pro he had a dual 2.5 G5). I think he wanted expandability more than anything. He said he likes the Mini's but they're just too restricting (as to hard drives, graphics cards etc.) I understand that. He sold his c2d MacBook and his G5 to get the Pro too. Aswell as working overtime so I think even if maybe he doesn't need all of that power, hell he saved up for it and worked hard for it so surely he can do what he wants with his money?

9. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

I agree with what he's saying... but his hair irritates me.

10. Nova77 Guest

True! But there is a difference between buyin what you want with your money AND showing others what to do. Hes the one saying he needed a Mac Pro to do his work, which I don't believe at all. And now he says how people should totally avoid PPC macs. To me this sounds totally biased. Of course I must be biased towards PPC, but that guy isn't fair.

This guy isn't even aware of Tenfourfox. That guys knows nothing on what to use in 2012 for modern PPC experience. You can't use outdated or not optimized PPC softs and compare them to the latest Intel softs. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

If someone is gonna make a fair video on Intel VS PPC, he/she should at least compare a modern PPC (with the right software) to an Intel, and then tell what you can't do on a PPC. It is obvious that PPC has several disadvantages, no one should deny this. But at least make a fair comparison. I still believe that on a budget, a good G4 tower is the best computer money can buy. It's almost free, built like a tank, and can be used as a main machine for the average user.

11. Xandros macrumors regular

Oh so I'm right then, sunlight is lethal to him. He still needs a haircut.

12. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

Word. BTW, I finally got around to getting CorePlayer. 1080p on my obsolete machine! Woot!

13. Goftrey, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Again, I agree. I just think he wanted to express his opinions though.

I was annoyed when I first watched the video, because I subscribed to him AGES ago when he was still using his Quicksilvers & MDD's. And I thought to myself, 'you completely kicked PowerPC in the bollucks by doing this video'.

I disagree with the fact of having to use an Intel machine as your main machine. Hell, I'm buying a G5 in a month to use as my main machine.

If you watch his video from 2011 on the same subject it's almost likes he's in a different world. (His main portable was a 15" 1.5 PowerBook).

...On a side note, the amount of discrimination to this dude is unbelievable. Who gives a crap if his hair ''annoys'' you. No need to publicly lt everyone know.

14. Liquinn Suspended

You can't do Photoshop CS5 and xCode development on a PPC Mac can you?

15. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Well at 7min of video all the conversation was a mix of "video for noob mac guys or pc to mac guys" + "I switch to Intel now, powerpc is kinda useless"...
    And I guess that this video is only for those guys...

You are right, but most of the people who will see this video just want the thing done no matter the money they have to spend.
    And believe me, I have seen a guy willing to spend 500eur on 8Gb ram because facebook ran slow (it only needed to update flash, but when I told that the man just got offended).
    The conversation is "you will need 3-4Tb of space" "you will buy upgrades" "you NEED TO BUY Intel"...
    I guess in all areas you can almost do anything with older/cheaper means, it is a matter of effort/patience.

16. goMac macrumors 603

Yeah, but there are a lot of if/ands/buts here, which is exactly this guys point.

How long do you think Apple is going to make iTunes for PowerPC? When they discontinue it you won't be able to sync new devices, you won't be able to update the latest versions of iOS, and you won't be able to access new types of content. Would you honestly recommend someone a machine that may not be able to run required versions of iTunes with a year?

Or let's say grandma gets an old refurbished iPad for $300. She set up iCloud on her iPad and now she wants to set it up on... ooops. No iCloud on PowerPC.

Or you want to watch Netflix. You need the Silverlight plugin for that, so you can and download it and nope. Doesn't install on PowerPC. You can hack it on, but is Joe Six Pack Average user going to know how to do that?

My point is there are tons of "normal" tasks that PowerPC doesn't support. Sure, you could tell the average user to use alternative services, or that they're better off without feature X, but at that point you're well past the average user being able to do whatever normal tasks they want to do. And as much as PowerPC users talk about how fast PowerPCs still are, it doesn't at all solve the problem the user not being able to do whatever they want to do.

At least TurboTax still supports Intel.

17. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Thank you! This is exactly what he was getting at, after talking to him after the video was up he said is was aimed at the AVERAGE USER

Some people just don't seem to get it.

18. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

i got a eMac 1GHz this thing really lags MacTubes dont help much for watching youtube do any of you have a reccomendation on how i can use my eMac as a primary machine? heres the stock specs and the updraded specs:

1GHz PowerPC G4 7450 eMac USB 2.0
    HL DataStorage CD-ROM Drive
    40GB Seagate HDD
    256MB DDR PC2700 RAM
    Mac OS X Panther 10.3.9

Upgraded Specs:
    MagicSpin DVD Burner Drive
    Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM HDD
    1GB DDR PC2700 RAM (1.25GB total)
    ZyXel USB 2.0 Wireless N Lite adaptor
    OS X 10.5.8

19. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Congrats on your purchase!

As it's got 1.25gb RAM I'm guessing it's the underclocked education model. Mactubes is great, I'm guessing when you say Mactubes doen't help, you haven't changed the player to Quicktime. You can do this by going in to the preferences & then player. I'd also, as a browser recommend TenFourFox, Stainless or Camino. Get yourself a copy of iLife '06, iWork '09 & you're good to go! And in the future you could always get another 1gb RAM stick to bump it up to 2gb then you'll be flying :)

20. LeoTheLion89, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

the Videos lag in Mactubes QuickTime is blatchy on videos i do use TenFourFox already but it takes over 140MB of RAM running and safari takes about the same any non resource hungry browsers out there? Camino is not to my liking Youtube still lags and it lacks the ability to use addons. TenFourFox i can use firefox addons i already have downloaded a copy of both iLife and iWork. i have no use for office software as i never type any documents. OnyX don't do much to speed the system up. I did buy a stick of 1GB high Density RAM but the eMac wouldnt detect its presence. i am waiting on a AirPort card and will order a new stick of RAM this time Low Density. Yes it is the education model of the 1.25GHz model (1GHz) also had a CD-ROM Drive when the non education model comes with a combo or superdrive but y pay 80 bucks for a SuperDrive when i had a DVD Burner on hand.

EDIT: took you advice set Mactubes to use quicktime and it works great! odd because when i try watching AVI videos with QuickTime its vary poor.

21. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Love watching Tom's videos...

everytime i watch this incredibly talented young man,i learn something!

22. G5 Mac Daddy macrumors member

I think if you are still using a ppc mac in 2012 either you have the software you need or like to use or you are just partial to it. I kinda get tired of people telling me that my ppc mac isn't going to do the job that I need it to do. My wife had an intel macbook pro and she sold it on ebay to get a G4 machine. She had g4 envy... LOL! I have my trusty 12in powerbook and when I have time to sit at my desk I use my G5 tower. I mean they still run ms office and adobe. I get it though... I use to freak out with the dudes that would get those apple 2's on the web...

23. Nova77 Guest

I think we got to make a distinction between average, as in statistics, and average, as in "total ********ing noob".

If his video was aimed at retarded noobs, or people not giving a damn about computers in general (those willing to spend money, no matter what), yeah right don't even think a second and recommend intel!. But I'd recommend a PPC mac to student any day. Reliable, cheap, gets the work done as long as you have a minimum of knowledge and talent...

By the way, Itunes is still supported on PPC. Apple wants people to buy iOS devices no matter what, I don't think support will end so soon.

24. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

In other words, the video was aimed at people who are very unlikely to ever watch such videos. That's why it's so difficult to understand the point.

25. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I had to chime in on this one..

The computer user themselves is what makes or breaks the experience on ANY hardware. If you have no real computer skills beyond the level of a typically ignorant user then you do need more power because you have no ability to finesse the hardware and software.

I personally love to truly understand how all things I use work because it lets me get far more out of my hardware. This is a concept/ideology that 99% of computer users simply don't get.

This video only relates to those that want to be a mindless user and get instant gratification out of everything. You could call it ADD computing.