Buying with intent to return...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiltrip, Feb 28, 2011.

1. skiltrip, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

skiltrip macrumors 68030

Update: Resolved. Moral crisis averted.

Thanks eveyone for your feedback, even those that spit at my feet as they walked by mumbling "criminal" under their breath.

I called Apple, and for 18 bucks, I'm upped to next day shipping. So there's a MUCH greater chance of it showing up by Friday. Perhaps even earlier.

Seriously. Thanks folks.
    ......--------------------------------------------------

Ok. Totally not my style. But unfortunate timing has put me in a tough spot. Sold my 2010 MBP to get max value a couple weeks back. Just ordered a 2011 last night. But it's a CTO with 7200 drive. No sure when it'll come.

I had nothing booked so the downtime was no biggie. (audio scoring work) Turns out changes were made and now this big scoring project hit this week with a deadline of this weekend. And I have no computer.

I considered for a sec to just pick up a base 13" tomorrow from the Apple store to record what I need to for these sessions, then return it next week after my 15" shows up.

Is this Terrible of me? *What would you do?

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

3. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

I knew this would get ya going. Lol

4. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

I'd do it. I was going to do this except with a base 15" just to try it and then upgrade if I felt I needed more or return it if I didn't like it (I'm a PC?). More or less the same thing. Do what you gotta go, I mean.

5. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

do it. ain't hurting anyone. and if it is, it's just apple. They charge up the ass anyway so whatever lulz.

seriously though, DO IT! I enjoy pissing off apple apologists even though I love apple products.

6. ClintMacwood macrumors member

That is so immoral. Apple has to earn mon....

No - just joking.

Do it.

7. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

it's an ******* thing to do, not because I care about Apple, but people like you are ruining it for everybody who honestly need to return something.

8. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Since you sold your 2010 "early," in order to maximize profits (not a bad choice), then I'd say you should figure out another way to cover the gap. I'm really happy that Apple have officially waived their restocking fees - it makes me more likely to try out a computer that I'm pretty sure I want, but not 100% sure. That's a nice option to have.

But you are talking about buying knowing you will return it, and to cover a gap that you knowingly chose in order to make more money on your 2010. I mean, it's not because something unforseen broke or etc.

So, to me it seems kind of lame. I wouldn't do it - and it's not that I'm some goody-two-shoes either.

Why are you asking? (I'm genuinely curious.)

9. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Do it. As long as you don't mess the computer up, it's fine. Plus, it'll allow Apple to build up a stock of the refurbs, thus you'll be helping out the Apple fans with slightly more limiting funds. :D

10. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

What the hell are you going on about? So now he's not allowed to purchase a product to use it for awhile? It's eventually going to end up back on the shelf, and doing a return takes all of 5 minutes for an employee. I missed something.

11. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    This.

:rolleyes:

12. ClintMacwood macrumors member

How is he ruining it for you? I really do not get your point.

13. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

14. PuckDaddy macrumors regular

PuckDaddy

if you're going to do it, you might as well pick up the high end 15" (mc723ll).... it'll show up eventually in the refurb store, where someone will pick it up on the cheap ;)

15. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Apple is going to have to spend time and money to refurbish the machine, and then they will have to sell it as a refurb unit which is at least 100-200 less than retail. Apple definitely loses some money on each used return. However, given Apple's margins, and the OPs need for the machine due to an unexpected circumstance, I'd say just go for it. Apple has huge profit margins anyway, and OP is still giving Apple a good chunk of change with the other MBP he is definitely going to pay for.

16. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

I guess you missed the fact that Apple doesn't sell used computers as new. Personally, that makes me happy, as if I want a used computer, I will buy a used one - not a new one. Would you like my used computer for full new price? (Rhetorical question, as even if you don't care, people as a whole do; that's why new and used are two different categories.)

17. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

18. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

you know why even Costco has to set a limit on returning electronics?
    because *******s like him abuses the system.

19. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You're the type of person who keeps the prices high..

20. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

If Apple has to set a limit on returns, they obviously have much worse problems than this one guy, or even a handful of people, who buy them only to return them. Also, I don't think Costco is exactly a good comparison marker. Costco and Apple have two largely different customer bases and profit margins.

Please, people have been doing this crap for ages, since mass-market computers were introduced. ESPECIALLY Apple buyers (on returning products), and I don't see them changing their return policy or you getting hurt by it.

Abusing the system is returning 3 laptops in a row because they have a microscopic piece of damn debris that is UNNOTICEABLE somewhere on the laptop, even on the bottom! Perhaps Apple should stop catering to every single picky bastard who buys one of their products.

21. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I think what the naysayers are forgetting is that he's actually still buying a machine. Apple is still making money off of him.

Right now I'm in a situation where I bought a 15" standard res MBP in-store and changed my mind. I went online and ordered a CTO 15" with the high-res screen. I'm keeping this mac until my new 15" gets here on the 2nd. Apple is still getting my money. I just can't be without a computer.

22. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

Even AFTER they factor in the BOM and refurb costs, they're making quite a bit.

23. trip1ex macrumors 68000

This behavior drives prices up for the rest of us and puts a few grains of sand in the stricter-return-policy hourglass.

And yes this is totally your style.

24. Catholic13 macrumors newbie

Isn't there a restocking fee anyways?
    I hope there is.

25. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Not as of January 11