Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mivara

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2015
Denmark
For the last six years, finding and buying a new cellphone has been the easiest task for me. I've just ended up buying the newest iPhone everytime. No questions asked. 3GS, 4S and now 5S. I'm not so sure when it comes to my next phone though. iPhone 6S Plus? Nah.

The arguments for buying an iPhone have been the same over the years:

- It's so pretty
- I've bought so many apps that would go to waste
- It works well with my Mac, iPad and Apple TV
- I know how to use it

Now, though, I'm finally questioning this habit. My robot-like behaviour. First and foremost: I miss the thrill about buying a new phone. Secondly, it's so friggin' expensive nowadays. In Denmark, the 6S with 64 GB is going to cost around 7000 DKK (= $1050). I know it's gonna be a great phone and all but come on ... even if I had that kind of money lying around it's a lot in a market that's filled with nice and much cheaper phones.

Sooooo: Have you made the shift from iOS to, lets say, Android? I'm really considering the Oneplustwo. I'll still have my iPad Mini and Mac so I don't fell that I need a phone from Apple all that much.

Last edited:

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I switched from an iPhone 5s to a Galaxy s5 about 6 months ago, due to a job change and available phones they would provide to me. My choice was an 8GB iPhone 5c or a 16G Galaxy s5. I've never used an Android phone so thought I'd jump in. Keep in mind that in the early days of smartphones I used Blackberries, Palm, Symbian, Windows Mobile and did a bit of hacking, so not afraid to try something new.

After 6 months with the s5, I can safely say I can't wait to get back to an iPhone. My company is switching to BYOD now and as soon as my number comes up I'm buying an iPhone 6s Plus. iPhones certainly aren't perfect, but there are so many things on the s5 that are quirky and don't consistently behave the same way. Its also quite a bit more sluggish than my experience even with older iPhones. The biggest pain is that all my friends and family have iPhones and so messaging them is more awkward, especially in multi-person threads. Ever since heartbleed hit, I've had auto-download of images turned off which is also a pain. I have no idea if or when I'll ever get an fix for that virus. With Apple, you get quick attention to vulnerabilities.

I would rather go back to my iPhone 5s than continue with Android.

lique831

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2011
I originally started out with Android (HTC Evo) and then switched to an iPhone. I switched to a Galaxy Note 2 a few years back. After a couple of months, I couldn't wait to come back to the iPhone. I originally liked being able to customize everything on the Android, but after a while I just wanted my phone to work reliably and it seemed like on Android that was always an issue. It seemed like when I really needed to do something, whether it was making a call, take a pic, somehow the phone would fail me. I still like Android and have the Dell Venue 8 that came out recently, but for something as essential as my phone, I'm sticking with my iPhone. If my tablet fails me, it's ok.

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
I've made the jump a couple of times but always seem to come back to iOS. My most recent switch was when the Galaxy S6 came out. It was as close to iphone design wise Samsung has ever made and the reviews were really good so I gave it a shot. I did love it at first, the camera was awesome, the screen was unbelievable and Touchwiz was trimmed down from previous versions. But after 3-4 months it started to lag, battery life (which wasnt that good to begin with) started getting worse. I spent more time tinkering, making adjustments, turning features off, downloading battery tweaks, and monitoring rogue apps than I did actually using and enjoying the phone. Thats how I knew it was time to go back to iPhone. iOS may have limited features compared to Android but its so well optimized and fluid due to Apple making both the hardware and software that very little adjustments or tinkering is needed to have a great experience. It works well right out the box. I still have an Android Nexus 7 tablet when I want my android fix.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I switched from an iPhone 5s to a Galaxy s5 about 6 months ago, due to a job change and available phones they would provide to me. My choice was an 8GB iPhone 5c or a 16G Galaxy s5. I've never used an Android phone so thought I'd jump in. Keep in mind that in the early days of smartphones I used Blackberries, Palm, Symbian, Windows Mobile and did a bit of hacking, so not afraid to try something new.

After 6 months with the s5, I can safely say I can't wait to get back to an iPhone. My company is switching to BYOD now and as soon as my number comes up I'm buying an iPhone 6s Plus. iPhones certainly aren't perfect, but there are so many things on the s5 that are quirky and don't consistently behave the same way. Its also quite a bit more sluggish than my experience even with older iPhones. The biggest pain is that all my friends and family have iPhones and so messaging them is more awkward, especially in multi-person threads. Ever since heartbleed hit, I've had auto-download of images turned off which is also a pain. I have no idea if or when I'll ever get an fix for that virus. With Apple, you get quick attention to vulnerabilities.

I would rather go back to my iPhone 5s than continue with Android.

I did the same thing back in November. Switched from an iPhone 5 to a Samsung S5. There was some nice features to the S5, but frankly, Android and it's world seems flakey. Apps crashing, and apps not working consistently (including ones that worked just fine in iOS). Even Samsung's "TouchWiz" shell would crash on a regular basis. Weird/annoying slow-downs.

I was so ready to give up my S5 that about 2 weeks ago, I switched back to an iPhone 4 with a really bad battery. Shelved the S5 and got it ready to sell. Picked up my 6s 2 days ago, and couldn't be happier.

My advice, if you're going to try the switch... Keep your iPhone handy. Just in case...

C

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California
Sooooo: Have you made the shift from iOS to, lets say, Android? I'm really considering the Oneplustwo. I'll still have my iPad Mini and Mac so I don't fell that I need a phone from Apple all that much.

I'm the other way around. I had to helped coworker add her email account in her samsung. there are two email apps, and multiple copies of same stuff, mainly one from google, and samsung, and verizon's.

I'm like, WTF is this BS?
Good luck getting support if you've got hardware problem.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The new crop of android phones are awesome, but I'm an iphone person.

My son left the iphone fray a year ago and got a MotoG. After I got my 6s I offered my 5s to him (or sell it). He jumped at the chance to get the 5s. Let's see if he stays in apples "pie". o_O

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Now, though, I'm finally questioning this habit. My robot-like behaviour. First and foremost: I miss the thrill about buying a new phone. Secondly, it's so friggin' expensive nowadays. In Denmark, the 6S with 64 GB is going to cost around 7000 DKK (= $1050). I know it's gonna be a great phone and all but come on ... even if I had that kind of money lying around it's a lot in a market that's filled with nice and much cheaper phones.

Why not just keep the phone you have for another year? The 6/Plus are still good, well-supported phones. There's no law that requires you to upgrade to *anything,* every single year.

Android has improved quite a bit, but even after playing with Android phones and looking at how other people use theirs, I would still take last-year's iPhone over this year's Samsung Galaxy S6.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I've been on Android for 6+ years, and decided to see what all the fuss was about with the iPhone so I pre-ordered the 6s 64GB. The phone is designed beautifully and feels great in hand. The display, while small, is fantastic.

My issues are with the OS itself and just some oddities in general.
  • App navigation is horribly inconsistent. I find myself having to swipe down to go back to the previous page, then swipe left to go to the menu. I'm always swiping in different directions as each app seems to have their own preference which way to get back to where you were. Snapchat and Google Play Music are two that I use a lot which cause lots of confusion.
  • Duplicate notifications! When people like my Instagram photos or Snapchat me, my lockscreen and notification shade are filling up with tons of individual notifications like "such and such liked your photo", or "bob is typing". Do I really need to see a notification for when someone was typing to me in snapchat and when they sent it? Instagram is the worst where it lists them all out individually. Android is far better in this regard where it will say for example "Bob liked your photo" with a 25 in the corner letting you know how many people liked it, basically it combines all similar notifications together so you don't have to scroll through them all.
  • Notifications don't go away on their own. If I get a notification, why does it remain if I open the app manually and check it? If I get an email, read/delete it, then open my notification shade it's still there.
  • The camera won't remember my settings. I want HDR to be on all the time, why do I need to enable it manually every single time I open it up? And why can't I set photos to use 16:9 instead of 4:3?
  • You can't save a simple photo. I'm used to Android where you can have a photo in Dropbox, Email, a website, anywhere and just long press and save/download it. On iOS the only way I found to get a photo from a computer to my phone without plugging in is to upload it to the iCloud website and then connect to WiFi so it will sync.
  • No back button kills me. I hate having to figure out which way to swipe to go back, or hit the top left of the screen. So much easier especially when one handed to hit the back button next to home.
  • I can't change Mail to change from archive to delete. I just want to delete emails I don't need dammit!
  • The homescreen layout is so cluttered with useless apps that Apple even has an "extra" folder by default. Either let us hide/disable apps we don't need, or change the way apps are displayed. Also, why can't I simply organize apps on all other pages alphabetically? I hate how it puts them in by default in order of when they were installed, it's so much easier to find apps on Android when everything can be sorted.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
I've gone from Android to iOS, back to Android and now back to IOS. They both have something to offer, and they're both solid setups.

The one nice thing about Android is they have a Google Rewards app. It's like 5 second surveys, and you get them every few days, but you get 10-40 cents per survey in your Google Play account. So you can get a few bucks (I've made like 40 total) to spend on apps.

If you're feeling the need to switch... do it, because you'll win either way.

Either:
A) You're going to like Android, and if you do go to iOS again you'll know that's what you really want to do
B) You wont like it and you'll know your future purchases are the right ones for you.

Either way... you'll get what you want in the long run.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
You'd probably get much more feedback on the iOS alternatives forum than here. I'm pretty sure the exact question was posed there and not long ago.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I left Blackberry when they went into the toilet and never looked back. They just work too good with my iPads and MBPro 15. Am quite happy and see no reason to leave. I buy ever new phone because I am a tech junkie!

Reactions: Sea Bass

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Done. Tried it, liked it and bought it. Note 5 is like a pocketable Surface Pro 3 while iOS feels limited and restrictive like it was originally designed for iPod. Plus, I wanted a bigger screen but not necessarily a jumbo sized pocket unfriendly phone.

20150826_140236_zpsyudnah8i.jpg

Reactions: iNinja08

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
iPhone 3G -> iPhone 4 -> Note II -> Note 4 -> edge+

I'm a display buff and the Note series has been better than the iPhone since the Note 4. Sorry for those who disagree, but it is a proven fact... anyway the operating system functions more like a computer, with a file system and easier way to save and manage files and attachments than the iPhone, on which managing files is wholly app centric as opposed to have the additional option to navigate a user organized file system with different folders. True multitasking is cool. I can be listening to music on YouTube and typing a text message or reading/replying on these forums at the same time.

The 6S Plus is way too bulky of a design for me... Apple has a ways to go to make that design appealing to me, it has too big of bezels and is way too tall for a phone with a 5.5" display. Samsung wins in this category: slimmer, shorter, narrower phones with bigger better displays.

The one place where Apple is clearly better is the Music app. On Android, I don't regularly use the music app at all like I do on the iPhone. The iPhone is the undisputed best music player for a smartphone. That being said, I still have an older iPhone that I use for an iPod in the car since it has a 30 pin connector, so no issues there.

I'm not anti Apple... but I'm being objective when it comes to smartphones these days since I've used both Android and iPhone for multiple consecutive years. Android has come a long way in the past few years. But, I'm open to switching back to an iPhone 7 if they put in better displays, hopefully with an option for curved edges, and slim the bezels down substantially. Although by then Samsung will likely have Ultra HD displays and even more refined curved edge phones which is my favorite feature of my current phone.

Last edited:

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I just went to my one plus one for 2 weeks because I sold my 6 to my son. I couldn't wait to get my new iPhone. I have tried to leave in the past and am never happy. I am loving my iPhone 6s Plus. The one plus was running lollipop if that matters.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I've been on Android for 6+ years, and decided to see what all the fuss was about with the iPhone so I pre-ordered the 6s 64GB. The phone is designed beautifully and feels great in hand. The display, while small, is fantastic.

My issues are with the OS itself and just some oddities in general.
  • App navigation is horribly inconsistent. I find myself having to swipe down to go back to the previous page, then swipe left to go to the menu. I'm always swiping in different directions as each app seems to have their own preference which way to get back to where you were. Snapchat and Google Play Music are two that I use a lot which cause lots of confusion.
  • Duplicate notifications! When people like my Instagram photos or Snapchat me, my lockscreen and notification shade are filling up with tons of individual notifications like "such and such liked your photo", or "bob is typing". Do I really need to see a notification for when someone was typing to me in snapchat and when they sent it? Instagram is the worst where it lists them all out individually. Android is far better in this regard where it will say for example "Bob liked your photo" with a 25 in the corner letting you know how many people liked it, basically it combines all similar notifications together so you don't have to scroll through them all.
  • Notifications don't go away on their own. If I get a notification, why does it remain if I open the app manually and check it? If I get an email, read/delete it, then open my notification shade it's still there.
  • The camera won't remember my settings. I want HDR to be on all the time, why do I need to enable it manually every single time I open it up? And why can't I set photos to use 16:9 instead of 4:3?
  • You can't save a simple photo. I'm used to Android where you can have a photo in Dropbox, Email, a website, anywhere and just long press and save/download it. On iOS the only way I found to get a photo from a computer to my phone without plugging in is to upload it to the iCloud website and then connect to WiFi so it will sync.
This doesn't make sense? First part your saying you can't save it on your phone (which you can) and then in the second part you say "on iOS the only way to get a photo from a computer to my phone"?? What are you trying to do because you can do everything without issue.
  • No back button kills me. I hate having to figure out which way to swipe to go back, or hit the top left of the screen. So much easier especially when one handed to hit the back button next to home.
  • I can't change Mail to change from archive to delete. I just want to delete emails I don't need dammit!
Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Your Email Account -> Tap on Account -> Advanced -> MOVE DISCADED MESSAGES INTO: Deleted :)
  • The homescreen layout is so cluttered with useless apps that Apple even has an "extra" folder by default. Either let us hide/disable apps we don't need, or change the way apps are displayed. Also, why can't I simply organize apps on all other pages alphabetically? I hate how it puts them in by default in order of when they were installed, it's so much easier to find apps on Android when everything can be sorted.

See changes in the quoted text.

Reactions: linuslh1996

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I have iPhone and android I am now s full time. iPhone users no more android for me

Sarah Jones 799

Suspended
Sep 11, 2015
i left apple after iphone 5 but i'm back after having note 3,4 and S6 edge..too laggy for me
Same here I tried Samsung Galaxy s6 sim free this year it was very laggy after one week.
So I returned it for a refund
The best thing is nothing beat Apple iCloud amazing for all my games saves from device to other devices.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
For the last six years, finding and buying a new cellphone has been the easiest task for me. I've just ended up buying the newest iPhone everytime. No questions asked. 3GS, 4S and now 5S. I'm not so sure when it comes to my next phone though. iPhone 6S Plus? Nah.

The arguments for being an iPhone have been the same over the years:

- It's so pretty
- I've bought so many apps that would go to waste
- It works well with my Mac, iPad and Apple TV
- I know how to use it

From Apple to OnePlus ? Good luck mate ...

Worst manufacturer in the world (former OnePlus One owner here)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.