California robber holds up 11 people, gets $6

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DaveSW, Mar 10, 2010.

1. DaveSW macrumors 6502

2. iOrlando macrumors 68000

well yeah and plus people just dont carry cash?

i often have 0 dollars on me. I rarely use cash anymore. I always hating wasting money on change..etc.

i will use debit card for pack of gum. it doesnt matter.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I'm also like that. Only if I know I am going somewhere where it is cash-only will I go to the bank and get change out.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I always carry cash in case their card reader is broken or something. Ive also had my card not work in certain card readers (probably old).

5. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Cash

The only time I conscientiously carry cash is when I'm heading to the bars. Having to go back to a bar in the morning because you left your card with the tender is a waste of time!

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I usually carry cash with me, but I do use my debit card a lot.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Every shop, cinema etc I go all take debit cards so I just use them now. At most I'll carry £5 for the bus if need be. So this guy wouldn't have got much off me ;).

9. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I carry about $20 in cash along with my debit card. That's it

10. DaveSW thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah but you'd think the robber would take their phones, watches, jewelry, etc. :D but no... $6.

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You are the type of person who holds me up at the register. Card transactions take a lot longer and I can understand using them for a large purchase but gum? really?

:)

12. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I really never have cash anymore. Been like that for years now..

Take iOrlando's gum example. If I buy gum or a bottle of water, it will be when I'm filling up for petrol, which is regularly. But I never think, oh, I'll go and buy 2 or 3 pounds worth of stuff. Everything's so expensive now. Couple of beers is nearly 10 pounds, couple of coffees around 6 or 7..

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I usually find that card transactions go a lot quicker than cash, since the cashier has to count what you give them and then count your change. It's just easier to swipe your card. Doing away with requiring signatures on credit card purchases could speed it up even more. They serve no security purpose anymore, no one ever checks signatures. Or we could move to a chip-and-pin system like Europe.

I typically don't have more than 20 bucks in cash on me at one time.The rare times I do, it's usually for a specific reason. Most of the time, I have no cash on me whatsoever.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have my signature on my credit or debit card checked quite often by store employees.

15. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This never happens to me but at the mall and a few restaurants and shops here etc.. they check IDs. I have never seen anyone even flip the card to check if a signature is there, let alone compare it to the one on the receipt.

16. eldy macrumors 6502

i feel weird if i don't have at least $500 on me, a little more emergency cash in the car and of course even more in a safe at the house.

17. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

the security is, for both parties, if there are questions about the legitimacy of the charge afterwards

18. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Not surprised since credit/debit cards offer rewards programs so people are less likely to carry cash. I only carry enough for a subway return trip($2 USD) if I'm not in the mood to refill with a credit card. If somebody were to rob me, all they'd get is $2 USD and 3 loonies.

Years ago in camp somebody ransacked my backpack, they took all my US money except one $2 USD bill and three $2 Canadian bills. Seems like robbers believe $2 bills are worthless :D :D

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Many large retailers here don't require a signature for purchases under $25. Otherwise, no one ever checks signatures. Only the Apple store asks for ID.

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

We have a "swipe and enter PIN" system over here. Takes 5-15 seconds depending on the age of the machine (you're looking at 20-year-old machines for 15 seconds).

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We have that here for our debit cards. However, many people earn points for using their debit cards. The catch is that you only earn points when you use it like a credit card (signature) and not when using it as a debit card (PIN). Of course, the banks earn higher fees on signature transactions.

22. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Never carry cash, mainly because I'm lazy and because I spend money waaaaaaaaaaay faster when I can see it.

23. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm guessing the robber went the ol' "put your wallet and purses in the bag" route. In that case sure, maybe he only got $6 in cash but think of the hassle he caused everybody. Having to call banks to cancel credit cards and visit the DMV to have their licenses replaced is almost just as bad.

But I'm like most in that I rarely carry cash. My debit card works faster and saves me from losing change in my car seats/couch/La-z-boy. I may have to change that soon because my dry cleaners is telling me the card transactions "cost them too much" and they want cash for anything under $10.

24. Xavier macrumors 68020

You just can't rob people like you could in the old days anymore.....

25. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I walked into BestBuy last week to pay for a MBP with $1500 in cash and put the rest on my debit card. Someone could have got really lucky there...