Call Apple if you JUST ordered and recieved macbook....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by branharrison6, May 15, 2007.

1. branharrison6 macrumors member

I just got my macbook about a week ago and called them today as soon as I saw the new macbooks. They have a policy that allows you to recieve a rebate for the difference of what you payed compared to how much you have to pay now. I just recieved a $150 rebate on my order.

Also I asked if I could pay $200-$300 more to get one of the new macbook models and the guy told me that I would've been able to probably if it wasn't a customized product. Since I got 2GB of RAM instead of the standard 1GB I have to suffer for it. That to me seems kinda weird? Anyone else try this and get same story? But, if you ordered a standard macbook with no upgrades then ask them on the phone if you can dish out a couple hundred more $ to get the newer model and you may just have yourself a new macbook??;)

2. Winterfell macrumors regular

Did the prices actually go up? I was looking at the new models today and it seemed to me they're priced the same as the previous models.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The prices stayed the same, but I'm sure the old machines now have a "lower price" that will be used to clear the remaining stock.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

or end up in the refurb store.

5. fchyan macrumors newbie

I ordered mine on Apr 18, should I call them?

6. branharrison6 thread starter macrumors member

no it's like a 10-14 day window. Your well over the ammount of days given.
    Sorry:(

7. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Man you gota love apple for doing this. What other company would do such a thing as giving you a refund :)

8. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

9. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

If you read post #6. Which says no

10. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I dunno Amazon, MacMall, Wal-Mart and just about every other major retailer if the new product falls within the return period. :rolleyes:

This is not specific to Apple.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

are you kidding?

wait i got mine last july, do i qualify? lol

12. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I guess that really tells you how much I return stuff :D

13. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

Just out of curiosity, I ordered my Macbook Apr. 26, but didn't get it until May 2nd or 3rd. Does that qualify me?

14. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I guess you can tell that I always purchase at the wrong time! Haha :)

15. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

Well, I'm on the phone with Apple Support right now, and even though my Macbook is outside the 10 day policy, the girl is going to give me $50. :) It's definitely better than nothing.

16. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

It's kind of cheap for apple to do that. If you buy something and don't like it you can usually return it within 30 days. Get your refund and then buy the latest of the product. For Apple to give $150 and so "Sorry. It's a custom laptop" is crap. I love Apple but since they have 100% control on their product, I think they take advantage of that.

Of course on the other hand. If you bought a laptop knowing that (had access to the knowledge. in this case being Macrumors member) the previous version had run through it's average life cycle, you kind of deserve it.

17. fchyan macrumors newbie

hey thanks for the information

Apple gave me $100 USD

18. lucasban macrumors newbie

I called yesterday and they are replacing my core2duo high end (which was a replacement in itself) i am going to ship this one out by the end of the week and then they will be sending me a new (retail) one. think they are gonna send the new kind?

19. branharrison6 thread starter macrumors member

GREAT ! ! Glad to help!:D ;)

Why are they replacing it? Also is it one that you customized? Did you add aditional RAM or anything to it to customize it?

20. lucasban macrumors newbie

I had bought one when they first came out, they replaced it about two weeks ago, after about 5-6 major repairs, and the replacement C2D was a dud, stock.

21. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I bought my Macbook on Apr. 26 from an Apple Store - just tried calling Apple Tech Support to get a reimbursement (no luck), and then tried calling the store I bought it from, the girl told me I was out of the 14 day return period, so I guess I'm screwed.

That's pretty lame, I'm 5 days out of the return period and they can't do a damn thing for me...guess I shouldn't have expected any special treatment from Apple, in the end all companies are the same I guess...

22. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I was wondering if anyone tried calling Apple back after they purchased a Refurbished model.. cause it seemed the guy on the phone I spoke with said something about "like for like" so i guess they only cover that policy with new MacBooks? Any imput would be great!

23. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

In the end, for the $150 you can buy a 200 GB harddisk, which is no problem to put into your MacBook, and get your own update. If the MacBook comes with 2x512MB RAM, you could put the original harddisk plus 512 MB on eBay and you might get the money for one 1GB chip. Or spend $150 on a huge external harddisk.

24. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Instead of 14 days period they could have 21 days. Would have been good for you, but anyone who bought 26 days ago would be moaning "I'm 5 days out of the return period and they can't do a damn thing for me...". Or they could have a nine day period and give everyone some money back who isn't more than 5 days out. Would that make you happier?

No, you are not 5 days out. You are nineteen days out. If you were 14 days out, they would have helped you, but not for 19 days.

25. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

I ordered mine the same day (but from the online store), and the girl I spoke to from Apple Sales Support gave $50 even though I was outside the 10 day period.