Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

broly

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
edmonton
hi,

so i have managed to produce a driver that loads and, per hallab, seems to output sound.

unfortunately i do not have any external sound devices that can power themselves, as i have another HDAV1.3 deluxe (lol) in my PC that's rigged up to my marantz amplifier and such.

i tried using a red/white -> female stereo cable, followed by plugging my headphones into this, but i don't think this would work because the card's audio outputs do not deliver power.

everything looks good. the controls are (as you would expect) limited for such a feature-rich card. however the spdif in/out should work via mute, as should the analog out via system controls. i ran it overnight with HALLAB and the stats look great (not just good). the SPDIF output took precedence over the analog out, but even then an 80KHz sampling rate while the SPDIF holds steady at the target is good.
Screen Recording 2023-01-11 at 7.34.00 PM.gif

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 5.16.47 AM.png
the controls can be somewhat laggy if you use a keyboard with a volume wheel (i have a das keyboard) and this is a work in progress.

this is a family of cards supported by Clemens' alsa driver ("oxygen"), which is what i used as the foundation. he's my hero for undertaking the task of writing such a fantastic driver for linux. there is no way i can replicate his feat because the APPUL API is far more limited when it comes to mixers/controls. i am, however, not ruling out the creation of a user client volume control application.

before i formally solicit testers, is a self-signed kext sufficient for others to test? or must i get a developers license so that others can test the binary i build on my machine?

i would really like it if someone else had two macs so they could share the debug out via fwkpfv while running the card. i have, of course, done this on my machine quite a bit.

i want to make sure every card in the family (DG, D2, D2X, DS, STX, STX2, ST, HDAV1.3 DELUXE, HDAV SLIM, claro, meridian, etc) will work.

thanks in advance.

broly

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
edmonton

demonstration of functional headphone jack on the Xonar STX II pci express card.

all around the world
gotta spread the word
tell em whatcha heard
gonna make a better day

broly

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
edmonton
STHPfunctionality.gif

people may need to use HALLab for some of the functionality, in this case to adjust the headphone impedance. IOAudioPorts are just broken.

the nice thing is now we don't have to use hallab for the output selection because i figured out how to use IOAudioSelectorControl.

comin' in outta nowhere
singin' rhapsody
you gotta be
bad enough to wanna be

sit upside a high chair
the devil's refugee
is gonna be blinded by the light
full of me

she fade in-out
she fade in-out
without a doubt

i don't see no shine
today is just a daydream
tomorrow she'll be cast away-y

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.