Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
If you want good weather and bright pictures, buy a Pixel. I'm sorry that my gloominess affect our products so much.

Tim 🤓

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
That's all fine and well, I too take family pictures, but not a single one has been put on my wall. They are all for my "digital life" aka Facebook and Instagram and for those, I don't really care that my pictures have been taken with a 48mp, 5x optical zoom. It's overkill. If I'm taking "family photos" that I want to put on my wall or landscapes, or what have you I'm using my "Camera," not a phone. My point is I think people put too much hype into the camera of a smartphone as a deciding factor.

You're an extreme case, but I agree with your overall point from your first post. A friend of mine took some very scenic panorama shots with his IPHONE 7, and then had them printed on a special metal material and hung on a wall in a decorative way. Guess what, nobody knows the difference and they look very cool.

The fact of the matter is most photos are taken relatively quickly just to capture a memory and most people aren't pixel-peeping those photos if the photo accomplishes that goal - capturing the memory.

That said, I'm still a sucker for a good phone camera comparison... ;)

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
by

I also have an A7rV and a bunch of GM glass but the phone matters to me for two reasons. Even with high end photography equipment I use my phone for the vast majority of my family photos. I’m not lugging that gear to an amusement park or birthday party. I’m not using it for a family hike, day trip, dinner, or even many vacations. These scenarios are much better done with a smartphone despite the compromises. I also use my iPhone for video and it does very well especially compared to mirrorless cameras that have not been optimized for video.
Man, do I agree with you on that! I used to lug around my a900 with primes when I would visit my GF in Italy. It was brutal. 🥵

Last edited:

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
I'm enjoying the overall improvement over the years, but I've also been disappointed in just how much post-processing occurs by default. It leads too often to zoomed-in images having a watercolor look. I see that in the 15 Pro Max. I'm sure I'll see it in the 8 Pro.
Ugh, yeah. I've found that foliage shots on an iPhone often has a weird posterized, artificial, over-sharpened look. And I wish the engineers weren't afraid of a little image noise. I'd rather have texture, even if it meant more noise, rather than the smeared look. Sometimes fine color details are obliterated—like blue eyes becoming gray as the color is smeared. Though with the way that smartphone cameras combine multiple exposures, maybe "just leave more noise in the image" is not as straightforward as it seems.

rukia

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2021
The fact of the matter is most photos are taken relatively quickly just to capture a memory and most people aren't pixel-peeping those photos if the photo accomplishes that goal - capturing the memory.

This is what I was trying to say about my family photos. For me it’s about capturing the moment and technical perfection is not only irrelevant but gets in the way. Many precious moments are unplanned and the camera you have in your pocket is the only choice you have. Also, pointing a large camera and lens at people completely changes their look compared to something done casually with a phone. The prints I make for family photo albums are perfectly fine from a phone and I don’t believe a high end mirrorless camera and lens will add more value for this use case. In fact some of my most precious family photos are from decades ago where the quality from the film SLR camera that produced them pales in comparison to modern phones. I also do landscape photography and for that use case a high end camera works much better.

kjvmartin

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
What kind of "test" is this? Do people primarily use their cell phone cameras for pictures of random buildings and taxi-cabs?

Try taking a picture of a toddler (or dog) in a living room at night playing with a stuffed animal.

Movement, life, detail, low lighting. Actual stuff people want to look good. What does it matter if a car can go 300mph if it doesn't have a steering wheel. Sure, the iPhone can take a decent picture of a car outside zoomed away 500 feet. Great. Why is that the flagship feature of the flagship phone? It's because Pixel wins that segment and Apple knows it.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Both are comparable. I prefer the Pixel 8 on some and the 15 Pro on others. Overall, the 15 Pro appears to produce more natural looking photos but it's still close enough that either is fine.

1. Pixel but the iPhone one could be edited to look like the Pixel one.
2. iPhone
3. iPhone/Pixel
4. iPhone
5. iPhone
6. Pixel
7. Pixel (but the iPhone photo is likely more accurate)
8. iPhone clearly
9. Pixel/iPhone (maybe iPhone first but the Pixel one appears a little less saturated)

Last edited:
Reactions: PwmMen and boswald

wyarp

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
The Pixel wins it for me I have to say.

NOT because of the telephoto lenses or ai nonsense, neither of which I care for. I also don't care for the slightly warmer/yellow tones of the Pixel (though something that's easily changeable). The one thing that the Pixel wins HANDS DOWN, is it actually seems to take pictures that are more true to life, and not overly contrasted, with crushed blacks and too much sharpening that the iPhone has.

That's been my (and anyone that has any interest in photography) absolute HATRED of iPhones in the past 4 or 5 years!

Reactions: foliovision

wyarp

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Don't know if it's the settings, but the black point seems elevated on all the Pixel shots, leaving them looking washed out from a lack of contrast. It's hard to believe it would look like that by default. And the iPhone shots look a little too dark and contrasty, although I'd prefer that in most cases if I had to choose.
The thing is, you can always up the contrast in your phone settings (or in any app if you want to edit them). You can't really dial it back though once baked in. That's what I hate these days on iPhone photos.

Reactions: foliovision

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
not overly contrasted, with crushed blacks
I’d guess that the contrasted look is closer to what you’d get with a standalone camera that doesn’t do any of the fancy “smart” processing that all modern phones do.
Real life has more contrast than even the brightest of OLED phones, so the range has to be compressed to show it as a photo on a screen—and even more to show it printed. The Pixel phones are more aggressive at evening out the tones in the image.
But your eyes are also constantly readjusting exposure as they look at a real scene, so while the iPhone may be more technically accurate in an absolute sense, the Pixel may be closer to recreating the experience of looking at the real scene.

Also, iPhones have supported true HDR for photos since the iPhone X, and Android is just now adding it. And web support of HDR images is still experimental. So these comparisons aren’t really even fair if you aren’t comparing them on HDR displays.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
The thing is, you can always up the contrast in your phone settings (or in any app if you want to edit them). You can't really dial it back though once baked in. That's what I hate these days on iPhone photos.
Not really. It’s not as simple as adjusting contrast, because tone mapping is localized in the image, and baked into the pixels. You can’t un-tone-map an image.

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
It's funny how much value people put into the cameras on these phones. It's the complete opposite for me. As a creative director and professional photographer, I could care less. I don't use my phone for anything more than quick shots of family. If I am taking anything of value, I'll use my Sony A7R V, not a phone. It's just not a feature to benchmark a "phone" for me. When 90% of the people using these cameras are taking photos of food or dumb stuff, it's makes no difference.
Its not talked about often but I fly around using my iPhone camera a lot for work like documenting things in the construction phase as well as network planning. I mainly take photos and record video with the .5 lens. I capture directly using the OneDrive app so my team can immediately review so capturing that perfect shot the first time is very important to me.

I wish the Lidar system was better as I've tried to do virtual 360 of small areas but it ends up looking like everything is melting.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I think equal is fine. I buy Apple for lots of reasons other than photos - so long as the photos are not appreciably worse.

Yeah fair enough, it’s not a really big issue for me either. It just seems like a strange thing for Apple to make a big deal of. I know they all do, but I’ve never seen anyone take a picture in real life like the ones they show on stage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.