Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The line for the iPhone 4 has already started -- a week before its release. Justin Wagoner has set up a tent in front of the Dallas, TX Apple Store and appears to have started the first line nationwide. Wagoner was first spotted on DallasNews.com.

041254-iphone4camper.jpg

The discovery was quickly posted in our forums and spotted by Wagoner who posted a greeting to MacRumors forum readers, explaining his reasons for camping out so early:
Some would say I am crazy, but I say I'm a very determined fan. In fact I just might be one the biggest Apple fans you will actually meet. I have been the first costumer for this store since 2008 when the iPhone 3G was released.

Normally I only camp out over night, but since I do not work due to the fact I am disabled with a seizure disorder and I am not in school at the point, I figure I just make it a fun experience and do it for a week.

Yes I did reserve a phone, but again, I'm doing it for a fun experience. I haven't had a trip or vacation in past 10 years so I figured I make it a full week camping trip.

My setup and location has everything I could need to live for a week, even in the Texas heat. Tent is packed with a sleeping gear, a chair, full ice chest of drinks and food, and the Apple staff have been very nice to me treating me like a king. LOL I also brought a extension power cord for phone charging and things that need power. There is even a portable toilet around the back of the store if needed.

That been said, I'm actually doing really well out here. If anyone gets a chance, come join the fun!
As proof of his idenity, Wagoner posted a photo of himself taking in the Apple Store:

041655-justin.jpg

He also posted photos from his camping setup. Wagoner promises to continue to post updates when he can:
I'll do my best to keep everyone updated when i can. I do not have laptop so I can only operate when the store is open. I will post a pic when the next camper comes and when the line starts to get out of control.
Well wishers can post to the original thread which we kept distinct from this news story. Over the next week as iPhone 4 lines continue to form, feel free to email us photos at tips@macrumors.com. The iPhone 4 will officially launch on June 24th. While the initial allotment of pre-orders are spoken for, there should be a sizable stock available for walk-in purchases.

Article Link: Camping Out for the iPhone 4: The Line Starts Here

Last edited by a moderator:

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
That's pretty sad. It's funny that when you sell your soul to a corporation, you line up to pay them. I worry for today's youth.

SurfSpirit

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2006
World of wrong values

Camping out because of a phone? Geeesh, are people crazy, as if it is the cure for cancer or something! So much important things to do than waiting for a tech gadgets, and they call me a geek! Get a life a people!

bowler357

macrumors member
May 18, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

"I do not work due to the fact I am disabled with a seizure disorder"

I dont mean to sound insensitive, but wow. Too disabled to work, but not so disabled that you can't setup a tent and camp out for a week in the Texas heat in June?

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Nah, he's just eccentric. What will be sad though, is the 50 million other people doing the same thing now trying to get on the media. :rolleyes:

Crazy I understand, but lining up a week before a product is released is nuts.

He did strike me as a bit weird looking at his picture, I just assumed he was some emo kid.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Camping out because of a phone? Geeesh, are people crazy, as if it is the cure for cancer or something! So much important things to do than waiting for a tech gadgets, and they call me a geek! Get a life a people!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I dont mean to sound insensitive, but wow. Too disabled to work, but not so disabled that you can't setup a tent and camp out for a week in the Texas heat in June?

Agreed. As if being disabled is an excuse for something so silly. I can't believe we live in a world where camping out for a phone is supported.

depulse

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Europe
Fanboyism taken to the extreme.

Talk about Nextopia* syndrome....

*What is Nextopia?

"Nextopia is our evolutionary drive to strive for the next thing. The next anything will be the best one, a utopian hope that affects lives today."

"In Nextopia, satisfaction has never been easier, but it’s getting harder to stay happy."

morfeas-dsl-

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
Pathetic.. I would be afraid of meeting anyone who sleeps in a tent for over a week just to buy a mobile some hours or days earlier than we do.. Sad also

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween

Dude, I know guys in wheelchairs that can set up tents.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010

That's not insensitive, that's ignorant. You don't know what he has to deal with, you just assume everyone can handle things, because you don't have empathy. Walk a mile in his shoes, buddy.

Anyway, he has a valid excuse, every else who lines up on the other hand...

Tres

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007

I was thinking exactly the same thing. As an aside, I am disabled so I don't care if I DO sound insensitive.

Someone needs to stop giving these *******s attention, it's seriously the dumbest thing.

gazzrenn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Blackpool, UK

Congratulations on your 17th post in 6 years!

This must of really ticked you off.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Then there are the ones with corporate accounts that bypass this fanboy line on first day of release, talks with the store manager, the side list is checked, they get their iPhone(s) and walk out.

Thus, VIP customers, I suggest you walk out a back door if you can. Most stores jurisdictions have a fire code requiring two exits. Even if the second exit leads into the mall suite back hallways or a smelly ally, go that way. Some of these fanboys can be rabid.

staccato83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
Las Vegas
It should be mentioned in the front page article that it was one of our forum members, Geckotek I believe, that printed out the thread and brought it to our camper friend.

Tres

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
That's not insensitive, that's ignorant. You don't know what he has to deal with, you just assume everyone can handle things, because you don't have empathy. Walk a mile in his shoes, buddy.

Anyway, he has a valid excuse, every else who lines up on the other hand...

Oh look, it's the political correctness crowd.

Think logically about this for a second, how the hell can someone be so disabled that they physically can't work, yet they can manage to camp outside for a week in a city, in the heat, with the danger of all sorts of potentially dangerous people walking around outside at night?

I have a physical disability, I drag my ass around on crutches and yeah it's hard, but I don't use it as an excuse. In his case I can't think that it's anything but one.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
That's pretty sad. It's funny that when you sell your soul to a corporation, you line up to pay them. I worry for today's youth.

As if waiting for Beatles concert tickets on their first American tour is any different?

valkata

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
I am really sorry for this guy and all others who spend hours in lines for some gadgets... and then they are going to spend days and weeks playing with those gadgets instead of spending time with their families.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I don't see where nutjob suggested that was any better...

Woohoo! We are off and running! Waiting in line overnight is nothing new for a hot release. Movies (Star Wars movies were interesting) and concerts have been going on for over fifty years.

Hell this type of marketing goes back to P.T. Barnum. There is nothing new under the sun again.

wbham

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
New Zealand
Not something I would ever consider, but best of luck in whatever you try to achieve.
;)

ps try and get heaps of free stuff!

exigentsky

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
I'm sure the iPhone 4 will be great but come on... :confused: I hope people won't think all Apple fans are this insane.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.