Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ushika

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2017
I live in an apartment with a lot of walls in between me and the router so my imac and even my iphone are constantly disconnecting from the wifi. I just got an AirPort Express to extend it but now that I'm trying to figure out how to set it up I'm seeing a lot of posts saying that you have to have either a time capsule or AirPort Extreme as well as the express. No one even seems to give a straight answer on if i can even use this thing for a computer since all the advice is for speakers or airplay. I have a router from xfinity, can someone just tell me if this will even work for what i need or if i should just return it and look for something else?

Thanks in advance!

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
I live in an apartment with a lot of walls in between me and the router so my imac and even my iphone are constantly disconnecting from the wifi. I just got an AirPort Express to extend it but now that I'm trying to figure out how to set it up I'm seeing a lot of posts saying that you have to have either a time capsule or AirPort Extreme as well as the express. No one even seems to give a straight answer on if i can even use this thing for a computer since all the advice is for speakers or airplay. I have a router from xfinity, can someone just tell me if this will even work for what i need or if i should just return it and look for something else?

Thanks in advance!
I tried it a few years ago & slowly lost the will to live with drop outs etc, power line / home plug adapters with wireless point might be your best bet, short of being fully wired.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Best bet is to connect the Express to the Comcast router via Ethernet. If direct cable is a challenge, Powerline adapters are pretty decent ways of getting Ethernet to other rooms (but don't go cheap, older, cheaper models have limited bandwidth).

The next question is WiFi itself. Your options are to use the same net name (SSID) and password, or separate. To ensure you connect to one over the other, different network names might be a better solution. Many devices can "remember" multiple networks (Macs, iOS, PC), but some may only be capable of storing one network. If the device is stationary, pick which network is best in that location. If mobile, program them both into the device and it should connect to whichever network is stronger.

Connecting Express wirelessly is likely to be problematic. It should work, but you lose a lot of capacity. Ethernet is pretty foolproof provided the Express is not attempting to be a router (more below).

On the Express Network tab, set the Router Mode to "Off (Bridge Mode)". This ensures any client connecting to the express simply gets traffic passed to\from the router without using NAT, and avoids duplicate DHCP servers on your network. Failing to do this will result in very wonky results.

On the Wireless tab, use "Create a Wireless Network" for Network Mode.

I am aware of certain ISP routers that don't play well with other Access Points (or Routers in Bridge Mode). I don't think Comcast routers are guilty of this, they tend to be Linksys or Netgear based as I recall.

Finally, two networks can create contention for access in areas where both signals are present. If you manually set the channels on both 2.4 and 5Ghz to be different on the router and Express, your speeds will tend to be better. In 2.4 frequencies, use channel 1 and 11 (6 tends to be where neighbors and other signals like microwave operate). On 5Ghz, you have a few more options. Consult the comcast support site for how to set channels manually on their router. On the Airport utility. click the Wireless Options button near the bottom of the Wireless tab and set the channels. Also, radio mode can be set here, use the default (Automatic) for best results.

ushika

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2017
Best bet is to connect the Express to the Comcast router via Ethernet. If direct cable is a challenge, Powerline adapters are pretty decent ways of getting Ethernet to other rooms (but don't go cheap, older, cheaper models have limited bandwidth).

The next question is WiFi itself. Your options are to use the same net name (SSID) and password, or separate. To ensure you connect to one over the other, different network names might be a better solution. Many devices can "remember" multiple networks (Macs, iOS, PC), but some may only be capable of storing one network. If the device is stationary, pick which network is best in that location. If mobile, program them both into the device and it should connect to whichever network is stronger.

Connecting Express wirelessly is likely to be problematic. It should work, but you lose a lot of capacity. Ethernet is pretty foolproof provided the Express is not attempting to be a router (more below).

On the Express Network tab, set the Router Mode to "Off (Bridge Mode)". This ensures any client connecting to the express simply gets traffic passed to\from the router without using NAT, and avoids duplicate DHCP servers on your network. Failing to do this will result in very wonky results.

On the Wireless tab, use "Create a Wireless Network" for Network Mode.

I am aware of certain ISP routers that don't play well with other Access Points (or Routers in Bridge Mode). I don't think Comcast routers are guilty of this, they tend to be Linksys or Netgear based as I recall.

Finally, two networks can create contention for access in areas where both signals are present. If you manually set the channels on both 2.4 and 5Ghz to be different on the router and Express, your speeds will tend to be better. In 2.4 frequencies, use channel 1 and 11 (6 tends to be where neighbors and other signals like microwave operate). On 5Ghz, you have a few more options. Consult the comcast support site for how to set channels manually on their router. On the Airport utility. click the Wireless Options button near the bottom of the Wireless tab and set the channels. Also, radio mode can be set here, use the default (Automatic) for best results.

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions! I'm going to see if i can manage to get an ethernet cable where i need it and continue from there. Hopefully I can set it up without too many issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.