Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rachelcenter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2019
I have these old DVD-R discs. (I know, doesn't this subject make you wanna roll your eyes already?) They have quicktime/.mov files burned to them. They're not playable dvds with menus on them. They're data dvds. My 2017 iMac obviously doesn't have a disc drive so I'm connecting my external Lacie Blu Ray burner to the computer in order to access the files, pull them off the dvd-r and onto an external hard drive (Formatted as mac osx extended journal, NOT FAT32!).

I've been successful at pulling some of the files off of the multiple Dvd-R's that I have.

But as I go down the list of files on that given DVD-R, as I get towards the bottom of the list, the file will either start to transfer and cancel after so many megabytes, or it'll just sit there and never transfer. The error I get says: The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "interview" can't be read or written. (Error code -36).

It's weird because some days I'll get an error -36 on a particular file that refuses to transfer all day. Then I'll walk away for several days and try that same file again and then it'll transfer days later. But I've been trying some of these files for days now, and no luck. It feels like there's no rhyme or reason as to whether the file will choose to transfer that day or not. Sometimes I'll try the same file over and over again day after day with no luck. These file sizes are not over 2gb. They're usually small like 19 mb or 200 mb. I don't think the disc is scratched either. I've kept these plastic bumpers on them over the years just to preserve them. And I remove the plastic bumper thing when I put them in the blu ray burner / disc reader.

I've tried a few things to fix this:
  • I tried using a different cable. Got very limited success.
  • I read about the dot clean command in terminal, which seems to work for clearing permissions on usb sticks, but on a burned disc, you can't fix the permissions for that.
  • A youtube video suggested trying to make a disc image of the DVD using Disk Utility. But all I got was "operation cancellation".
  • I've tried to drag the file straight from the DVD-R into premiere, but because there is no file extension at the end of the file, Premiere says "File Format Not Supported"
  • I've tried to drag the file straight into Quicktime, in hopes that I can hit export and save a new version to the desktop. But Quicktime won't open it. I suspect its because there is no file extension at the end of the file
Any idea how to get past this Error Code -36? I know this is old technology but any help would be appreciated.

I'm running macOS Catalina 10.15.6 on an iMac with 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7. Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Attachments

• -36.png
    -36.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My guess:
Some of the files have corrupted data due to fading dyes on the DVD media.
A common problem with optical media (CDs and DVDs) that use dye-based recording.

About the only other possibility might be to try a DIFFERENT DRIVE.
You can get USB DVD/CD readers these days for around $20.

Then again, if the data is badly corrupted, a newer drive won't help.

RE
"I've tried to drag the file straight from the DVD-R into premiere, but because there is no file extension at the end of the file, Premiere says "File Format Not Supported""

Have you tried manually ADDING the extension, to see if that makes a difference?

Last edited:

rachelcenter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2019
You cant add an extension to a burned dvd. The data is burned and set. theres nothing you can do to modify the data written to it (the files on it) once its burned because the disc is locked. You can change an extension with files on an external hard drive, but not a burned data dvd

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"You can change an extension with files on an external hard drive, but not a burned data dvd"

Yes. (I knew that)

Can you COPY the files (with no extension) to the internal drive, and THEN add the extension?
Or... will they not copy at all?

rachelcenter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2019
I've gotten a ton to copy off of the disc, but the ones at the bottom of the list (on the dvd-r) wont copy :(

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Try a different drive.
Either a different Mac (that has a DVD drive)
or
A different external drive.

If you have file corruption due to fading dyes, it may not be possible to get the files at all.

rachelcenter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2019
Weeks ago, I tried plugging the external blu ray burner into my laptop instead of the iMac desktop. It's a 2019 iMac and I dont think it could handle it. It didn't go well. :( I dont know of any macs that have a DVD drive.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Are there PC repair shops where you are?
You might be able to take the DVD to them, and have them read it in their drive.
Then copy the files in question to a USB flash drive.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you are anywhere near a good-sized city, there probably is at least one "data company" or computer shop that specializes in transferring files from one media format to another.

A small shop might even transfer the files for free, if there aren't many of them.
Particularly if you bought a USB flash drive from them to receive the files.

Last edited:

jrferrermn

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
I upgraded to Big Sur and now the computer will not copy the DVD files, this happened on my previous iMac after an upgrade, it had to do with particular brand of DVD now incompatible with upgraded iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.