Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does this happen on your Mac? (make sure to try please)

• Total voters

eca123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2018
:apple: How to recreate:
-fullscreen safari
-fullscreen a youtube video
-un-fullscreen the video

I'm hoping the video doesn't glitch to the desktop and then jump to the safari.app on a separate space. If it does do this please please make a quick report (use feedback.app I think?) so they can know.

I've used 10.6/7/10/11/12/13 and recently sold my mac - so don't have one to test it on :(. It was present on .10 onwards and I have been hoping for a fix! It's sooo ugly in an otherwise beautiful OS...

Here is a video of the glitch:

I've always hated it and I think it would be so easy for apple to fix if they knew about it (its quite obscure) :mad::mad::mad:

Reactions: TimothyR734

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Well...... I can't exactly tell you that it's fixed.... But I also can't say that I can reproduce it, because as per the current beta of macOS, if I try and full screen a YouTube video with a full screen Safari window, well, I can't full screen the YouTube video at all. At makes a full screen black window, with the YouTube player remaining inside the Safari window.

eca123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2018
Well...... I can't exactly tell you that it's fixed.... But I also can't say that I can reproduce it, because as per the current beta of macOS, if I try and full screen a YouTube video with a full screen Safari window, well, I can't full screen the YouTube video at all. At makes a full screen black window, with the YouTube player remaining inside the Safari window.
Oh, thats odd. Thanks for trying, thats prob a beta thing, maybe it means they're working on it? Who knows

no issue here on iMac 9.1 10.13.6
Argh, The last version I used was 10.13.3 I think ahah....

EDIT: oh the guy below says he still has it... Oh well, maybe its hardware dependent or something? Or, no offense at all, you might have been maximized and not full screen?

Reactions: TimothyR734

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Oh, thats odd. Thanks for trying, thats prob a beta thing, maybe it means they're working on it? Who knows

Sure - I'm sure it won't be like that for the final release, or even a few betas from now. I'm genuinely surprised at how stable it is for a developer preview 1 though. This is the second bug I've found so far. Maybe third, but that's still not many at this point.

EDIT: oh the guy below says he still has it... Oh well, maybe its hardware dependent or something? Or, no offense at all, you might have been maximized and not full screen?

I was thinking it may only happen on Retina displays, since the 9.1 isn't a Retina machine - was your Mac retina?

I've also had this happen when Safari wasn't in full screen though, but it just flipped to a different space, and then back to the right space with Safari.
I guess it could be that we both have multiple spaces?

Reactions: eca123

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I have the "separate space" glitch on my 10.12.6 desktop (non-Retina), and get the same behaviour as casperes1996 (where it just gives a black screen) on my 10.14 Retina laptop, a 2015 MBP.

eca123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2018
I was thinking it may only happen on Retina displays, since the 9.1 isn't a Retina machine - was your Mac retina?
Yeah it was a 12 inch retina
but
I have the "separate space" glitch on my 10.12.6 desktop (non-Retina), and get the same behaviour as casperes1996 (where it just gives a black screen) on my 10.14 Retina laptop, a 2015 MBP.
Thanks for this info, I guess it's just an obscure bug with spaces and two fullscreen instances from the same app? I'm not sure how it all works, but if any of you could add this as a note if/when you next send a report through feedback assistant, I'd very much appreciate it!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thanks for this info, I guess it's just an obscure bug with spaces and two fullscreen instances from the same app? I'm not sure how it all works, but if any of you could add this as a note if/when you next send a report through feedback assistant, I'd very much appreciate it!

Sure, I'll write a bug report.

But just so you know, even if you aren't in the beta program, you can still tell Apple about stuff like this for the public OS via the feedback page
https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Reactions: eca123

nikon3312000

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
Ever since the 10.14.2 update im seeing similar graphical glitches/lines on right side of screen only. My 2013 Mac Pro (Trash Can Dual 500's) I thought it was hardware maybe my monitor LG 38uc99w but the issue only happens in Mac not in Windows 10 Bootcamp. Mostly during scrolling through pages in Safari but also just in other tasks. The faster I move windows around of scroll the more frequent the lines appear. Very strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.