Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheTom9

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2015
London, UK
A little strange question.

4 months ago i bought my dream iMac, the most expensive version they sell on the online store, it had a huge spot where colour was bleeding, by huge i mean a size of 2 apples, i just wanted to have an iMac so i didn't care much about it.

Then some of the letters on my keyboard stopped working so apple sent me a new one, in a foreign (Russian) language, i called them, they send me another one. Russian again so i just ended up buying my own English version.

Now my iMac can't even start up, it just restarts before it'd turn on so i chatted to apple customer s. for about 2 hours, tried every possible thing but it just won't work so i have a Genius app. for tomorrow. Now I'm extremely concerned because i've had my MacBook Pro repaired twice and once it came back with actual dents on the case but i've noticed it in the store when they gave it to me so they swapped the casing but i just can't go trough that with my expensive iMac again so i want to ask them to wipe the OS in front of me in the store or swap the whole iMac, i know some of you will moan that it's stupid but for a student who spent thousands of GBP on a computer it's just not OK to risk getting it scratched again. So i just wanted to ask if anybody had a similar issue when they had to ask for a swap and succeeded.

It'd also be very, very helpful if anyone who had the same issue could advise me of possible solutions.

Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can ask, as it won't hurt anything to request a replacement.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Likely a failed boot drive.
They will swap out the drive (it's under warranty)
No harm in asking, but I don't think you have a chance to get the iMac swapped out (if it is just the drive), particularly on the first service.

If you are concerned about service shop damage - take photos of the iMac at the time you drop it off.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
You can ask, not sure if they will comply this being your first time needing repairs. I don't think you need to worry about damage from the Apple technicians, but you can take pictures as mentioned above.

roadkill401

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2015
No chance. I have one of those top end iMac's and it won't boot with any USB device plugged in, and have a slew of issues with OS level apps not working that they can't pinpoint what is causing the issues, and can't replicate on any other machine but Apple refuses to even replace anything under my AppleCare+ warranty. that is just asking to fix it. you are asking for a whole new machine.

briloronmacrumo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2008
USA
...it had a huge spot where colour was bleeding, by huge i mean a size of 2 apples, i just wanted to have an iMac so i didn't care much about it.
Returning a machine within the first 14 days ( presumably when you saw this issue ) would have saved you multiple trips and frustration because you would have been able to request and receive a replacement machine.

The OP's experience is unfortunate but hopefully others will take note if a similar situation occurs.

TheTom9

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2015
London, UK
Returning a machine within the first 14 days ( presumably when you saw this issue ) would have saved you multiple trips and frustration because you would have been able to request and receive a replacement machine.

The OP's experience is unfortunate but hopefully others will take note if a similar situation occurs.

Sadly, it isn't that new, i bought it in Dec. the one that i was having was actually the 4th iMac because i had to return and replace the others, funny enough they all seemed to have issues with the their screen.

I did take the iMac to an Apple store the other day, they promised that the will swap it in case it comes back with scratches so i'm less worried now. But still, don't think a computer that expensive should break down after only few months.
[doublepost=1461743966][/doublepost]
I can confirm this, the 5th time I brought mine in (again for image persistence on the display) they offered a brand new replacement under AppleCare.

Thanks, that's good to know, my other macbook pro has been in for major repairs twice now so i'll keep that in mind next time i'm in ha!

About the iMac, the genius actually told me that it can be harder to repair iMac, they actually need to take down the huge screen to get other components out which is cool but could go wrong too so i'll see how it comes out and see if it has scratches or any other issues like the colour bleeding thing.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
You need multiple servicing record, then it's possible to ask for a replacement.

I don't have an iMac, but the 24" Cinema Display (no 27" at that moment), it has all sorts of different problem. And after 7 on site maintenance. They offer me a new 27" Cinema Display to replace my original 24" model.

Reactions: TheTom9
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.