Can I have router in one room and time capsule in another?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by felixen, Dec 19, 2018.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone. I have my router and time capsule in the living room. The TC is connected to the router with Ethernet, and I then have multiple devices connected to the TC with Ethernet.

Problem is that it’s a mess of wires and I need to add even more. So I’d like to move the router into the home office but keep the TC in the living room. The router would then have some devices connected to it (Hue bridge, smart thermostat and such), and the TC would have other devices connected to it (PS4, soundbar, TV etc).

Just to be clear, both the router and the TC needs certain devices connected with Ethernet - but the two units themselves would connect with each other over WiFi since they’d be in different rooms.

Does anyone know if such a setup is possible? I gave it a try but couldn’t get it working, but maybe I just did something wrong.

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

AFAIK it's entirely possible, but there's no real point to connecting to the TC with ethernet, if it itself has to go over wi-fi anyway.

3. techwarrior macrumors 65816

techwarrior

It can be done, but you need to consider WiFi implications.

First off, TC should be connected via ethernet to the router. It can "extend" the wireless network by connecting wireless to the router and accepting wireless connections from clients, but that cuts WiFi bandwidth in half. Two wireless access points too close to each other and they interfere causing all kinds of issues.

If the router WiFi is adequate, use it alone and leave Wireless off on the TC. if it is connected as a bridge, the ethernet ports on the TC will simply forward to the router over the WAN port connection to the router.

4. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies.

The reason I want to connect TV, soundbar and PS4 with Ethernet is that each of those devices have bad WiFi hardware / no 5ghz. So the PS4 and the TV gets super slow connection, and the Beam soundbar requires the 2.4ghz to control it, meaning I’d have to be on that network on my iPhone - which I refuse :)

Furthermore, my living room and my house entrance are in opposite corners of my home, and connection is bad near the entrance due to the distance. The home office is in the middle, so if I could have the router in there but still keep TC in living room to connect TV, PS4 and Beam with Ethernet, I think that would solve it - but it doesn’t sound quite ideal with the interference it’ll cause?