Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutie_katie_4595

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
(I have no way of testing this right now so please excuse the inquiry.)

(1) By using Finder (or pre-Catalina iTunes), can I use the File Sharing feature to move files from my iOS Files app to my Mac and vice versa?

(2) If yes, can it be any file type, or are there any restrictions? (for example, it could be that FLAC files cannot be transferred)

(3) Can it be an entire file directory (i.e., a folder with several files and sub-folders in it) or is it restricted to only one file at a time?

(Example) A Christmas_Project folder exists in Downloads inside my iOS Files app. In that folder exist several subfolders with JPG, PNG, PSD (Photoshop), RTF files etc. Can I use Finder/iTunes to transfer that entire folder to my Mac, edit a few of the files (like the Photoshop one), and after I'm done move the entire folder back to my iPhone?

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I don't know if this helps . . .

Have you tried iCloud drive on the mac and drag / or / copy files to a folder in "iCloud Drive" ie "transfers" you can move most file types this way to an iOS device - iPad / iPhone and flac files will play on the iOS devices

(3) Can it be an entire file directory (i.e., a folder with several files and sub-folders in it) or is it restricted to only one file at a time?
yes you can move (or Copy) a complete folder and it's contents on to iCloud drive and view it and it's contents on iOS devices.

Can I use Finder/iTunes to transfer that entire folder to my Mac, edit a few of the files (like the Photoshop one), and after I'm done move the entire folder back to my iPhone?

You cannot use iTunes or the music app to transfer any music back to the mac - it is a one way street by design -Apple does this to prevent music sharing - but if you leave the MP3 / Flac file in a separate folder you can move it both ways

hope that helps

Reactions: NickYoung

cutie_katie_4595

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020

Thank you for your response.

I don't use iCloud (which is why I never mentioned it in OP)

Why is iCloud relevant in this example, anyway? I was referring to using iTunes/Finder for the sake of local transferring of files.

Again thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.