Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
No, I don’t swap GPU to boot into Windows. That’s why I want a 7750 to have the boot picker. At the moment I’m still on 10.13.6 because of me only having a GT120 and Mojave wasn’t an option thus far. But now I have a RX570 and pulled out my GT120 to do that upgrade.

I think I should install iMacPro boot camp utils and look for some other way to boot into Windows from inside macOS, with manual bless or something else as suggested.
Boot Manager: A Boot Screen Alternative in the status bar of your Mac:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...native-in-the-status-bar-of-your-mac.2145374/

Reactions: orph and h9826790

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Do you have acceleration?
It looks like there are few cards, which "should" have acceleration without web drivers. Somebody needs to confirm:
http://www.macvidcards.com/blog/met...ave-without-driver-quadro-k5000-coming-to-mvc

It's nothing new. The 680 and other Kepler cards have always had drivers built-in to macOS. The main wrinkle with these cards is the Mojave USB installer mistakenly thinks they are not metal-capable and blocks installation. But they work fine to install Mojave from within High Sierra.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
It's nothing new. The 680 and other Kepler cards have always had drivers built-in to macOS. The main wrinkle with these cards is the Mojave USB installer mistakenly thinks they are not metal-capable and blocks installation. But they work fine to install Mojave from within High Sierra.
But do they have acceleration as the guy stated?

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
But do they have acceleration as the guy stated?

Yeah as long as a macOS driver is loaded (and the card is metal-capable) it will have acceleration in macOS Mojave. The Kepler cards are the only Nvidia ones that do.

Any card that has an EFI driver (which is what provides boot screens) will be able to load the macOS GUI using that EFI driver, but that driver provides no acceleration and the UI will be very sluggish and glitchy. That's how the old GT120 and Radeon 5770 can "work" in Mojave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.