Can you text and drive?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MultiMediaWill, Feb 18, 2011.

?

Can you text and drive?

1. Yes

58 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. No

91 vote(s)
    61.1%
  1. MultiMediaWill, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I always get mad when I see people texting and driving so I was wondering if you can text and drive.

2. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I can text and drive better than 90% of people can just drive. Most people shouldn't even have a license.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Anybody who text's while driving is a f##king a$$hole :mad:

Watch the following 10 min documentary Att recently created about the family devastation texting while driving creates : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DebhWD6ljZs

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm sure I could, but nobody including me can do it safely.

6. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I used to be really good at it with a Razr and t9 input. But with an iPhone its impossible to do it safely.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I can multitask: drive, write a text, and attempt to commit suicide...

8. trssho macrumors 6502

Bull!

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I can multitask: drive, write a text, and attempt to commit suicide...

Yeah, I'm doing it on a iPhone, and it's crazy slow and dangerous.

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Exactly as it should be. Texting whilst driving has to be one of the stupidest things you can attempt to do behind the wheel of a car.

11. Nuttydev macrumors 6502

12. newskin macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can I text and drive?, sure. Should I or will I text and drive?, no. I'm glad it's illegal in the uk. Should be illegal worldwide. The accidents caused by dialing or texting while driving happened in a flash. Is it worth it?

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'm just trying to decide what is worse; a falling down drunk charging down the road in a monster 3 ton SUV or an idiot texting while driving the same car; I think both are about the same level of dangerous. Both deserve long jail terms and loss of license.

You have to be very careful even walking through a mall parking lot these days; idiots talking on the phone or texting while trying to navigate parking lots.

14. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I consider myself a smart person, yet I was stupid enough to txt and drive several times.

Granted I always did it in certain situations. At a red light, on the highway in rush hour stopped in bumper to bumper, etc.. Not txting while freely driving 65 or nothing like that. I also set a mental limit. Even while stopped, only type two characters or read two words at a time.

That said after seeing a youtube video about all these kids getting killed txting and driving or killing someone. I just don't txt at all driving anymore. No txt conversation can be remotely important enough to risk your life or the life of someone else over.

15. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It's illegal to text or talk on your phone (handheld) in NY. It will add two points to your license if you are caught. Statistics say it is safer to drive drunk!! :eek:

16. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I'd have to agree.

At least a drunk driver has their eyes on the road (even if their reaction time is impaired) vs an idiot who has their eyes on their cell phone instead of the road.

17. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

This x100

Anyone texting while driving is a total moron and has no business being on a public road, same goes for the a**holes making calls without handsfree.
    This should be an automatic 6 month ban.

Both of these stupid selfish acts are totally illegal in the UK and rightly so.

18. De Rocca macrumors member

I agree completely that texting and driving cannot be combined, but I also think that it's the parents responsability to look after their kids. They are equally responsible if something happens to their kids when running on the street under any kind of car.

19. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

If I need to send out a quick text to my girlfriend or something, I will compose the message while at a red light. I have tried texting while driving a few times, and it was certainly a dumb move on my behalf. So if I have to send a text, I wait until I'm at a red light or until I reach my destination. It's not worth injuring myself or someone else over a text.

20. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

You are an accident waiting to happen and I pray to god I`m never on a road with you.
    I`ve passed a driving examiners test in the UK so I would consider myself a better driver than many and I`m damn sure you`re one of the ones who should NOT have a license, stop risking other peoples lives.

21. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

Can I text and drive with an iphone? No, and it's stupid for anyone to try.

I did however text often with a Nokia phone because I could feel each key and the T9 made it easy. Plus I could do it without looking at the phone except right before I would hit send. Still, probably better to avoid it all together.

Remember, it's not always about how well you drive, it's the other idiots on the road you have to look out for.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

yeah, texting is very dangerous since your eyes have to be off of the road. but making calls without a handsfree device is not any safer than holding the phone and talking both can be dangerous although not as dangerous as texting.

23. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

Anyone can, but shouldn't. Nuff said....

24. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    What a vauge question.

Do you have the ability to text and drive? -yes
    Should you text and drive? - no
    Is it legal to text and drive?- depends on where you live

It's legal here, and unfortunately I admit to doing so. more than I should(not that I should do it at all...). And it's not just texting I check all sorts of stuff on my iphone, weather, sports scores, MacRumors, Twitter, news, email, etc... Seriously I am addicted to using my phone while driving. It hasn't gotten me into any trouble yet. I try to be safe about it (like at red lights), but I know I end up using it in situations that I shouldn't.

Gosh, I really should stop. OK, I'm going to resist looking at my phone at all while driving for the next week (yeah I know I'm starting small)

25. Zcott macrumors 68020

Only when stopped at lights or in traffic. But I prefer a phone call when driving.