Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
You won't have any problems simply switching the Sims. I used to do it in the early iPhone days when Apple didn't sell them unlocked and my wife would get the hand me down. At a later date you can even call them and get the imeis straightened out.

I have the Rogers 6 GB $60.00 deal too on 2 lines, so 12 GB of data is shared. It would be great if I could get the subsidized iPhone 6 without having to change plans now.
I've been without a contract for 4 years now and will stay that way unless I can negotiate keeping my plan.
Thanks for confirming.

This is probably a stupid question, but what are the imeis, and what do you mean by having them straightened out?

more fps

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Ottawa
Last time with 5s we canadians got the backorder crap when trying to order at 3am..I hope it doesn't happen this year again.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Last time with 5s we canadians got the backorder crap when trying to order at 3am..I hope it doesn't happen this year again.

This. I checked up order history, and the pre-order for the 5s was Sept.20. My order shipped on the 27th (presumably launch day) and arrived on my doorstep Oct. 2. Definitely do not want that happening again.

I do believe my iPhone 5 had arrived right on launch day but I could be wrong.

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
This. I checked up order history, and the pre-order for the 5s was Sept.20. My order shipped on the 27th (presumably launch day) and arrived on my doorstep Oct. 2. Definitely do not want that happening again.

I do believe my iPhone 5 had arrived right on launch day but I could be wrong.

The reason why was because with the 5s there were no preorders.

more fps

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Ottawa
I'm going be using a prepaid credit card, which has 1,200 dollars in it, enough for iphone 6+. You think apple will place a hold for the amount and then place a charge for it? kind of worried now.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I'm so confused with this new 2-year pricing structure. Not only are the Big 3 charging substantially more, they are offering considerably less. I just don't understand how this is permitted/legal. I understand they need to recoup the cost of the subsidy over a shorter period of time (hence the increase in rate plans), but what allows them to lower the services offered (i.e., data)? I mean, the typical rate plan a few years ago included 5GB or so of data, whereas these news rate plans start at $20-30 more and only have 500MB of data. How on earth is this not gouging?

After crunching the numbers, it just doesn't make sense to upgrade through Telus. Compared to their promotional $70 plan, I would get the following if I purchase the phone outright and continue with my existing plan:
- Over $200 in savings (-10% from base contract with my own device)
- No yearly contract/monthly billing
- Additional 4.5GB of data (!!!)
- Free local calling for 10 numbers

How does this make any sense? Someone please explain this to me before my head explodes.

wulfin

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2014
Calgary, AB
Because they have to recoup their cost because of the 2 year contracts. Before this, everyone paid basically the same amount for the plan - whether you had a subsidized phone or brought your own (I think they gave me $200 credit when I brought my own phone over years ago... and then I paid the same monthly fee as someone who bought a phone on contract)...so.. they are losing money and need to recoup it some way.

People don't care about the minutes anymore - everyone is all about data, so that's what they capitalize on.

Makes me sad I left telus because I had the 6gb plan as well.. now going back I'm going to be paying a lot more for a lot less :(

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
Anyone else excited for pre-orders. Question: When we go to pre-order the iphone, will we be competing against all US and Canadian customers? Or just Canadians, and will the batch of iPhones be for all US and Canadians and we Canadians get a batch for us? Hopefully it makes sense.

Also I called Apple and they told me that the model number for the Factory Unlocked iPhone 6 is: Model A1549 (GSM) and for the Plus:Model A1522 (GSM)

indecision

macrumors regular
May 2, 2014
So pumped, so Im just gonna be able to put my 5S wind mobile sim in to my 6 plus and all should be well?

Hoping we get it on the 19th too. If we choose expedited shipping do we get it before 19th or?

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
So pumped, so Im just gonna be able to put my 5S wind mobile sim in to my 6 plus and all should be well?

Hoping we get it on the 19th too. If we choose expedited shipping do we get it before 19th or?

Yes, you will be able to swap sim over, and IIRC just regular shipping will get you on the 19th.

Rideherhard

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2010
Reading people say its cheaper to go on contract? That's not true it isn't, you need to spend atleast $80 a month to get the iPhone 6.. Rogers has an on contract price of $90 that's equals a non-contract price for $65 which you can get down to $50ish a month but well use the $65.

$90 x 24months = $2160 + $400 upfront fee to to buy iphone = $2560 or $106/month

$65 x 24months = $1560 + $860 for same iphone unlocked = $2420 or 100/month

Sure it's not major savings but when your off contract and have your own phone you can get better deals, like you should be able to shave $15/month off the non-contract deal making it $85/month over the $106/month on contract making it a savings of $500 dollars over the two years then when you sell you unlocked iPhone 6 for the new iPhone with the money you saved over the twos years and the money you get for selling your Iphone 6 it'll be like a free upgrade.

**** contract, but I'm confused if I should go with the 6 or 6+

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
On Wind with unlimited everything (Voice/Txt/US Calling) for $40
so 24x40 + 860 = 1820, thats a 700$ saving over Rogers - true the network sucks but anyone staying in Toronto mostly should consider it. Wind also stopped us activating Facetime/iMessage (through cell number not email) recently which is a bummer.

Rideherhard

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2010
On Wind with unlimited everything (Voice/Txt/US Calling) for $40
so 24x40 + 860 = 1820, thats a 700$ saving over Rogers - true the network sucks but anyone staying in Toronto mostly should consider it. Wind also stopped us activating Facetime/iMessage (through cell number not email) recently which is a bummer.

How you like Wind? I'm in Calgary and they have it setup here but I go to Kelowna a bit and they don't have their own towers there... Love their prices but do you find it gets costly when your on the away?

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
Strange, was in Apple chat, and they told me they have no time set for the pre order starting. Guess they didn't get the memo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.