Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple shipped 22.6 million PCs in 2020, an increase of 16 percent over 2019's 19.4 million, but the company remains well behind rivals, according to a new report by Canalys.

mac-mini-macbook-pro-macbook-air-m1.jpg

The report, which excludes tablet computers, shows that worldwide PC market growth accelerated significantly in the final quarter of 2020. Shipments of desktops, notebooks, and workstations increased by 25 percent year-on-year to reach a record 90.3 million units. The fourth quarter of 2020 was the third consecutive quarter of sequential growth, bolstered by strong holiday season demand.

canalys-2016-2020-pc-vendor-shipments.jpg

For the whole of 2020, PC shipments grew 11 percent to reach 297 million units, which is the highest full-year growth since 2010 and the highest shipment volume since 2014. Canalys notes that PC market growth in 2020 was "singlehandedly driven" by notebooks and mobile workstations, with these devices increasing in shipments by 44 percent to reach 235.1 million units. Desktop and workstation shipments fell 20 percent from 2019 to reach 61.9 million units.

canalys-vendor-pc-shipments-2020.jpg

Apple placed fourth for PC shipments over the course of 2020 with 22.6 million devices. HP and Dell shipped over twice as many PCs as Apple, and Lenovo led the market with 72.6 million units. Nevertheless, Apple shipped 16 percent more devices than it did in 2019.

Looking toward 2021, Canalys predicts that the PC market will become even more competitive. The industry as a whole is reportedly reorienting toward a broader range of customers with "new behaviors and use cases," though it is expected to be constrained to some extent by supply shortages for the first half of the year.

In an effort to capitalize on increased demand from 2020, vendors are expected to put chipset innovations and operating systems at the forefront. A particular trend that Canalys expects to emerge is a fierce rivalry between Apple and Microsoft in the domain of custom silicon, but there may also be attention on updates to Chrome and Windows in an effort to lure users away from rival platforms.

Article Link: Canalys: Apple Shipped 16% More PCs in 2020, but Still Lags Behind Dell, HP, and Lenovo

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Intel's pathetic performance for many years as not only spurred Apple to respond with its M1 chip, I'm confident Microsoft and it's hardware platform partners are going to respond with their SOC. I think I even saw rumors of Amazon responding with a SOC and I'm sure Goggle will respond too.

What Apple created in its first laptop/desktop M1 chip is amazing ... Intel should be thoroughly ashamed of what they allowed to happen.

Intel's new tag line should go from "Intel Inside" to "Intel Behind"

mrhansolo

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
I’m often amazed that people still buy Hewlett Packard computers. Is this 2021 or 1998?
I was given an option for a work laptop with the only caveat being it had to be a Windows machine. I found the one that best fit my needs was HP's Spectre line. I'm sure the Pavilion or other low end laptops and desktops are junk, but my x360 is the best Windows based device I have ever owned. The build quality is outstanding.

Reactions: macsound1

heov

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2002
Look how stable Apple’s Mac business has been over the years.

Despite people proclaiming the Mac is dead because of some minor issue, it just keeps chugging along.
I don't think Wall Street has said Mac is dead in the last 5 years. It's stable and inline with expectations. Nothing really note worthy relative to the industry overall.

Reactions: MacLC

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City
I’m often amazed how many people still buy Hewlett Packard computers. Is this 2021 or 1998?
I was going to say the same thing... who the heck is buying these? Assuming it's corporations, but I always thought Dell/Lenovo pretty much dominated the corporate market.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Wonder what caused Lenovo sales to spike and if it's reputation or something more tangible.

Anyhow, looking forward to AMD mobile 5000U announcement tomorrow 1/12/2021. Dell XPS laptops look nice but probably stick with tried and true Lenovo.

Reactions: macsound1 and SWAON

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
I was going to say the same thing... who the heck is buying these? Assuming it's corporations, but I always thought Dell/Lenovo pretty much dominated the corporate market.
HP is sold through many home shopping TV programs. It's also known as one of the cheapest options and while many know the name DELL, some know Lenovo but HP has a bigger name to the most technically challenged.

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
I think there reality is that you will never be able to compare Mac computer sales volumes to the PC world. First, there are many manufacturers so that changes the competitiveness, but moreover that is the standard at so many businesses, especially major corporations. I work at a major finance corp and we have a lot of people on Macs (myself included) but we are still on the fringe.

rp2011

macrumors 68030
Oct 12, 2010
Apple’s 49% growth for the quarter is due to the M1. We should expect the same for next quarter and for Apple to slowly keep closing in on some of the PC makers as the M1 Macs continue to roll into the market.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Wait for all the macs to be on arm arhitecture...it will rise a little more
Lets not forget that in 2022 probably the current M1 macbook air will be the SE macbook air with a starting price as 699$

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
Apple’s 49% growth for the quarter is due to the M1. We should expect the same for next quarter and for Apple to slowly keep closing in on some of the PC makers as the M1 Macs continue to roll into the market.
The M1 has only been out for over a month or so. Keep in mind that Apple has millions of customers and many of them are not necessary "tech heads" that keep up with processors or even visit forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.