Cancel order or ebay?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gusping, Apr 12, 2015.

1. gusping macrumors 6502

I ordered a 42mm SS Classic Buckle but part of me isn't sure so if i was to wish to cancel it or sell it, which would be best? Is it worth risking it on ebay and trying to make money?

2. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

Depends if you want to be moral or an ass.

Be moral and get someone's order time bumped up :)

3. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

Selling it on eBay won't be much of a risk seeing as the watch is already backed up into June. There's basically no way that you won't at least be able to get your investment back if you sell it as soon as you get it (without opening it).

But if you don't want it, you really should just cancel it so someone that does want it can get one. Imagine if it were a product you DID actually want.

What changed your mind anyway?

4. dilap macrumors 6502a

If I were you, I would cancel. It's jot very fair that somebody may get there watch later, so you could make some money. Please cancel, I don't need you too (I have got the earliest possible estimate), but others do.

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Morality has absolutely nothing to do with it. He ordered two watches and he intends to pay for two watches. Therefore, he can do whatever he wants with those watches.

6. taedouni macrumors 65816

I'll give you an honest answer. If I ordered one and changed my mind, I would sell it once I receive it. Now I wouldn't be an ass and try to markup by $500-600. But probably an extra $150-200 to cover taxes and make a little money. But I wouldn't sell it on eBay. No need in giving them an 8% cut when you can easily sell it off craigslist.

7. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

If he intends to sell it for an obscene profit then morally it is wrong. Pure and simple.

8. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Sell it on eBay for sure, at a huge markup. Rare that you'll be in that sort of situation accidentally again to make some free dosh! It's not like you deliberately set out to be a scalper.

9. bms2993 macrumors regular

Don't bother with eBay. Nothing good comes out of that site.

10. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

I don't think you understand the concept of morality.

The item is his. If he chooses to sell it for an obscene profit and someone else chooses to buy it for an obscene price, absolutely nothing immoral has happened.

He is not taking anything from anyone else. The fact that someone else who wants one won't get the one he has is consequential of Apple's lack of inventory, not of OP's choice to sell his.

11. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I don't get this... If I buy a product and decide to sell it, am I not allowed to? If the going price is more than I bought it for, am I supposed to to sell it for less than market value? Market valu for someone wanting to buy these watches, and only wait for shipping will have to pay market value...

I wonder if all of the naysayers would sell their house for less than market value because you made "too much of a profit"...

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Personally, I'd just cancel it. I just wouldn't want to go through the hassle of selling it.

13. gusping thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm super lazy so may just keep it. I tried on the SS in store and it was amazingly nice but a £240 premium over the SG sport is almost impossible to justify.

14. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Sell it on craigslist. There is nothing immoral about selling something you bought through legal means for a profit.

15. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

OP, there's some chance you won't be able to recoup your cost by selling on Ebay / Craigslist. Just ask the people who bought PS3s at launch to scalp.

I think there's a good chance you'll be able to make a few dollars, but there's no guarantee.

16. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I don't think you can compare the two. One is a high demand, low supply tech accessory, and the other is something that can be invested in and can change rapidly with the market.

17. NewbieCanada, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Apple's already selling it for an obscene profit.

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed, you will find pretty much everyone is going utterly two faced, and pretending to occupy some imaginary moral high ground over this.
    When, in reality, they want every cent they can possible get for anything they come to sell.

Do as I say, not as I do :)

19. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Worst case scenario is he returns it to Apple for what he paid for it, so there's no risk for him.

20. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

Right, so buying something with the intention to sell on straight away is the same as buying something, using it then recouping some of the money you paid for it.

Yeah they're the same :rolleyes:

21. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Again, you are confused with the definition of morality. A good is worth as much as a buyer is willing to pay. He got up early, bought the watch, and now will sell it. That is capitalism.

Morality would be if he stole the watch and killed someone in the process.

OP you are doing nothing wrong!

22. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

Again, no I'm not confused. I guess some people have higher morals than others.

23. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

eBay it, nothing wrong with making money on a limited product.

24. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

More often than not, the loudest preachers are the worst abusers.

25. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

"Moral" in this case does not mean what you think it does ;)