Cancelled my iMac and iPod Touch for Zune and Dell

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stetwin, Sep 28, 2007.

  1. Stetwin macrumors 6502


    Jul 8, 2007
    England - Co-Durham
    After wanting a Mac for a long time, firstly a MacBook but then when the new iMac came out I fell in love with it, I finally placed an order on September 13th for a 20” 2.4GHz iMac and also an iPod Touch (£85 off with BtS rebate). This morning I checked my order status and it was still on “not yet shipped” I phoned apple and got some story about that it has to come from china and it is normal to take a month from order to delivery dates, so I decided that I should cancel my order because I was sick of waiting and the apple support was no help,

    After I had cancelled my order I placed an order for a Dell XPS210 and a Zune, at the time I thought it was the right decision and since both could be ready and delivered next week I was more then happy enough to order knowing I would finally have my own computer again, but when I arrived home from work this evening my 1GB stick of iMac RAM had arrived from crucial, this has now caused me to have a dilemma, I really want the iMac and iPod touch but I’m sick of waiting and having a substandard service from apple,

    Also just to help with the situation my 250GB My Book Pro arrived this afternoon, which was obviously bought to match my Alu iMac and to be ready for leopard

    So my options are:

    Cancel the Dell and Zune and place another order with Apple for the iMac and iPod Touch?


    Keep the order I have placed for the Dell and Zune and return the RAM to crucial and the 250GB My Book Pro to Amazon?


    [Mod note: Merged threads, please read up on the rules and do not post multiple threads again.]
  2. nateco macrumors regular

    Sep 5, 2006
    are you being sarcastic?
  3. simongrahamuk macrumors newbie

    Sep 28, 2007
    Durham, UK
    Cancel the Dell.

    You know that the Mac will look soooo much better! :D
  4. TheSpaz macrumors 604


    Jun 20, 2005

    Booo hooo. I would wait until the end of the world for a Mac before I would ever even THINK about buying a Dell or a Zune. So instead of getting high quality products that happen to take some time to ship... you'd rather get a Dell now and deal with it for the rest of the time you own the thing? What kind of logic is that? The iPod touch JUST came out and if you want one bad enough, you can probably find them at a local Best Buy or something (they sell iMacs at Best Buy too). I have no idea why anyone would cancel an iMac and get a Dell... that's just so backwards. Good luck with your decision... I obviously don't know how it feels.
  5. vga4life macrumors 6502

    Jun 16, 2004
    Send the Apple kit back. Why subject yourself to more suffering from a once-great company that lately seems oblivious to the wants of its customers at best, or at war with its customers at worst?
  6. markfc macrumors 6502a


    Sep 18, 2006
    Prestatyn, Wales, UK
  7. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000


    Sep 13, 2007
    Cedar Park, TX
    the zune and dell have no comparison to a mac and iPod..if i had the money i would've added the iMac to my touch is well worth the wait..if you can't wait, then go to an apple store and get it first
  8. iSwitchd macrumors member

    Aug 21, 2007
    I would definitely cancel the dell/zune order!

    Patience is a virtue my friend, and reading through this forum is quite hilarious.

    Place your order and get it when it gets there. It cracks me up on here about everybody boo-hooing about shipping times. Get over it.
  9. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502


    Jul 8, 2007
    England - Co-Durham
    does the thread come across as sarcastic?
  10. oduinnin macrumors regular

    Aug 3, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Ha, ha, ha ...

    You suffer from Stockholm Syndrome. Go ahead, continue to suffer with Winblows. Oh, and that Zune, are you like the third person to buy one? :eek:
  11. holybatfart macrumors member


    Mar 21, 2007
    i would never settle for a Dell even if it was an XPS. Try Sony or something. And zune! ouch. No stores around you carry Apple products? And why would you have to return an external hdd?
  12. milo macrumors 604

    Sep 23, 2003
    Wow. If you don't cancel, you are really going to hate yourself when that zune and dell show up.
  13. Maxington macrumors 6502

    May 11, 2007
    Oshkosh, WI
    Mate are you OK? You are posting this in a "Mac" forum...

    No comparison. I switched to Mac and have had NO regrets. Mac + Parallels > Dell anything. imo

  14. Hibbsy macrumors member

    Aug 12, 2007
    If delivery times is really your buying criteria then you need to have a serious re-think.

    Do you want to just have "new stuff" or are you in the market for a machine that will serve your computing needs over the next 2-4 years?

    Obviously shipping delays are a pain but its a very short term loss for a huge long term gain.

    Personally I would wait for Leopard now or at least some assurance that you will get it for free and then buy an imac.

    I have recommended macs to 3 or 4 people and each has thanked me, i never recommended PCs as the risk was always that you would end up debugging and fixing it 2 months later.
  15. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502


    Jul 8, 2007
    England - Co-Durham
    Nearest apple store is over 3 hours drive, and i would return the external hdd because i dont need an external fw800 drive if i dont have the mac, i could settle for something a lot cheaper for the Dell system
  16. PCMacUser macrumors 68000


    Jan 13, 2005
    Well ultimately you have to think about what you want the computers for. If you want a PC, then get the Dell. If you want a Mac... then get the Mac.

    I got a 2.0GHz iMac yesterday for my parents, after waiting more than a month for delivery. It's frickin' gorgeous - quiet, functional, beautiful and excellent value for money. But I'm not sure I'd be prepared to swap my PC (specs in my sig) with it since it doesn't play Bioshock, etc., so well. :)

    As for the iPod Touch vs Zune. All I can say is that you shouldn't have to pull an mp3 player out of your pocket and interact with the screen just to change the volume, or change tracks, or do anything. The Touch is a neat product, but I don't think it's practical as a music player - get a Classic instead :)
  17. moez macrumors regular

    Jun 6, 2007
    and if it was a stock model then how about just walk/drive to the apple store and buy it from there?!?!
  18. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000


    Apr 12, 2005
    This IS a Mac Forum and the answer you're most probably going to get is "Cancel Your DELL / Zune Order". Personally, if you're going to re-order your Mac and Touch from Apple, it's probably going to take yet another month or so or whatever time you've waited for again. Amazon is pretty kind on refunds or exchanges I think...The ultimate question remains, do you really want a computer RIGHT now (somewhat a few days) or you want to continue waiting...As mentioned, you'd probably be better off trying out in stores if you REALLY WANT a Mac / you're tired of waiting...Your best bet would be to keep the MyBook, was it all just to match the iMac or you really needed the extra storage?

    I wouldn't wait till the end of the world for a Mac. If I NEED a computer, I wouldn't mind getting a Dell. They don't look that bad either these days...No offense but to wait for a piece of technology till the end of the world is just plain dumb, IMO.
  19. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502


    Jul 8, 2007
    England - Co-Durham
    I know and that is now what I fear, I cancelled the order after speaking to a very unhelpful member of phone support and since I got home from work at 8:30 and noticed my RAM and external hdd had arrive I’m already having second thoughts

    But to order from apple now would mean I would be looking at some time in November for a delivery date
  20. clevin macrumors G3


    Aug 6, 2006
    dell is fine, especially if you have demand for some apps that just offers no mac version. and its easy to by any peripherals whenever u want without worrying about compatibility issue.

    ZUNE, now its a good question, I would say no, because I can't buy PMP or PDA or whatever you call it, without Wi-Fi. But its just me.

    You should make decision solely based on your needs, rather than other people's argument, which mostly is totally irrelevant to your interests.
  21. Dany M macrumors 6502

    Jun 18, 2007
    I agree with above, if shipping is your only issue, calm down and rethink to see that your getting a dell and a zune because of a shipping delay? For me it would be more then that.
  22. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502


    Jul 8, 2007
    England - Co-Durham
    The reason I bought from apple now was because the UK back to school offer, and after waiting for the best part of a month for my order to ship I phoned support today and got a very unhelpful member of the sales team which just pushed me enough to cancel my order there and then, now I fear that I may have made a mistake by cancelling my order but I don’t know if I can wait until some time in November to get something from Apple,
  23. daemontrader macrumors newbie

    Jul 31, 2007
    You mean you had to pay for the Zune? I thought they were giving them away now :). Is this even a serious question on an Apple forum? All I can say is that I tried to get someone to buy a Mac instead of a Dell two months ago. He didn't listen but has since reinstalled Vista twice and thinks he made a mistake.
  24. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603


    Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    Simply put: Once you get the Zune and Dell you will have a bigger problem than waiting a few extra days for your computer to arrive.
  25. sananda macrumors 68020

    May 24, 2007

Share This Page