cancelled my new MBP penryn order

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dsr1205, Feb 27, 2008.

  1. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    #1
    i canceled my orderer after learning about how its just a marginal increase and there is gonna be a better MBP in june. i can wait, i just really wanted a mac. my signature is wrong ill change it later....
     
  2. markrivers macrumors 6502a

    markrivers

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Valencia, California
    #2
    seriously! dude! what happened??
    you know what, come june.. you'll just kill yourself waiting bec probably something new will come nov
     
  3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

    taylorwilsdon

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2006
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #3
    Get over yourself.

    There might be an update in June, (completely speculation at this point), and then there will be an update another 6 months from then. Buy it if you want it, don't waffle if you don't.
     
  4. Stella macrumors 604

    Stella

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2003
    Location:
    Canada
    #4
    When June comes you'll be looking at the Intel mobile processors and platform and be thinking - 'just another six months'.

    Really, there is never a good time to buy, something in the near future always looks better.

    You've got to make that jump sometime.

    The only significant jump you'll see is past... G4 Powerbook to Macbook Pro. That was significant, you'll never see that again for a loooong time.d
     
  5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

    markrivers

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Valencia, California
    #5
    Starbucks 5.6L v8 -hybrid chipset on an MBP is the next major update:D
     
  6. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

    pianoplayer1

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2005
    Location:
    New York
    #6
    Comon! I understand waiting because the MBP was 8 months old, but this is it! Just get it, how could you wait? And the 2.6 is amazing, I'm only getting a 2.4...
     
  7. aforty macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2007
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #8
    Everyone thinks Montevina will be the best thing since sliced bread. Yea it will offer an increase, but it'll be slight at best. A little extra bus speed doesn't make that huge of a difference.
     
  8. BlueScreenX macrumors member

    BlueScreenX

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2008
    Location:
    San Antonio TX
    #9
    lol:D you win! Your gonna wait for ANOTHER marginal increase?:confused:
     
  9. eddy64 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    #10
    I agree with the OP. June is DEFINATELY the time to get a new laptop if you don't really need one right now. I am 100% sure that at WWDC either the MB or the MBP will get a case redesign (probably MBP) and I personally want the latest, especially since I plan on having this laptop for 3 years+. I have a PC at the moment that is more than enough for what I need . Smart move IMHO. :D
     
  10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #11
    Not the worst of ideas if you can wait. That may be the update that gives us a Blu-ray Disc drive option. That update should be much more substantial since I think it will up the bus speed past 1GHz and perhaps include DDR3 RAM. I think Samsung is supposed to have a 500GB laptop hard drive by then, so others should go down. Maybe it'll have 250GB standard.

    I seriously doubt there will be any major case redesigns in the next year or so. I can't see anything wrong with this one right now (aside from maybe the magnetic latch addition). Maybe add one more USB port on each side.
     
  11. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2007
    Location:
    London, UK
    #12
    Get over it! There's no "perfect" combination. You can keep waiting and waiting for the "perfect" one to come, but every time you get an update, there's a even better one coming after it.
     
  12. mac'in'toss'ed macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2008
    #13
    Does intel have plans of a triple dual cores in sometime near future (~2years on a MBP). I am also thinking to buy the same, good you cancelled the buy:rolleyes:. meanwhile i recently bought 2.2 sr mb (4GB RAM);). I am pretty happy for the moment. I can surely wait another 2-3 years for the multi-multicore MBP;).
    Comeon friend, tech upgrades happen and shall happen till comp as fast and logic as human brains dont emerge and god knows after that may be intel knows too;). just decide to buy and go or it.
     
  13. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
  14. scott9s macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    #15
    Funny. I was in the same boat last WWDC. I was thinking there would be a nice update in the Fall, and I've been obsessed about when the next update. Enough so that I'd say I've lowered my productivity.

    so, be wary, you are going to be watching and watching and watching - waiting and waiting for the next thing. My guess it won't come June. it will be July, maybe even August. So, just be warned you will likely become obsessed over rumors and updates. The next 4 weeks are the best time to buy either a new one or a refurbished one. then, it'll be too late.

    I will be ordering one very soon. I will probably kicking myself if they totally do a redesigned case this summer / fall, but sooner or later, you have to take a plunge and I am sick of my current 3 year old laptop.
     
  15. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

    Hls811

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #16
    One other ting to consider is the re-sale value...

    I just sold my 2.4 Santa Rosa and got a 2.5 Penryn just because my SR will never be worth enough in June to offset the cost. If something drastic comes out in June my Penryn will get me more money to put towards another upgrade.

    And, if a new MBP comes out in June and it does have a redesign and I don't like it (ie: black MB style keyboard) then I won't feel like I spent 4 months waiting for nothing.
     
  16. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
    #17
    I'm approaching the one year point of waiting. I would have bought a SR refresh if this powerbook wasn't dropped into my hands for free and it happens to do almost everything i need it to. I'm patient enough to make good choices with my investments....even though someone stole my debit card and tried to by a macbook air last week haha.

    It's taken care of.

    Good job waiting. Don't buy unless you need it for certain. Like I said I've been waiting for a year and I check macrumors every day.
     
  17. akadmon macrumors 68010

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Location:
    New England
    #18
    You're new to the Apple world, and so I can understand how you could so easily fall for the promise of a June update. Personally I think that's a lot of rubbish. Apple will at best bump up the speeds of the Penryn MBPs (2.4-->2.5, 2.5-->2.6, 2.6-->2.8) in June. August is the absolute earliest that we will see totally redesigned MBPs, and I really believe Apple will wait until after the back to school period here in the northern hemisphere.

    Don't know about the 2.6GHz penryn vs. 2.6Ghz Merom, but the current base model is a very good buy in comparison with the previous Merom based one. The performance is as good or better than the previous 2.4GHz Merom for $500 less, not to mention you get a bigger hard drive and (if that sort of things moves you) the multitouch trackpad. So why not save yourself some serious $$ (we're talking at least $650) and order the base model tricked out with a 7200 rpm hdd and 4GB RAM instead of the overpriced 2.6GHz you ordered originally?

    EDIT: Of course get the RAM from some place other than Apple.
     
  18. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

    Philberttheduck

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2006
    Location:
    HB, CA
    #19
    I'm not going to side with the OP, but June is a pretty good time to buy. Yeah, rumor of a speed bump is one thing, but there will also be that free iPod nano deal going around then, plus probably a free printer.

    that's a free 250 bucks, worst case scenario.
     
  19. Collin973 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2006
    #20
    haha I remember when "Merom" was the hottest thing since sliced bread. That's when I was waiting to buy: when apple updated from yonah (?) to merom. I've never regretted it, but now, a year and a half later, those new mbp's sure are tempting. No, no i won't. I can't. soooo pretty
     
  20. akadmon macrumors 68010

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Location:
    New England
    #21
    It's just the lowly mini Apple gives away, and, besides, most people already have iPods (yeah, I know what you're gonna say -- sell it. Sorry, I don't hustle). You get $100 off a printer any time you buy a Mac. I just got a decent Cannon multipurpose inkjet for $30 (after rebate) with my MBP order.
     
  21. PAUL BRIAN macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    #22
    they should have at least made the trackpad bigger if they were going to add multitouch... i agree with Macrumors that this revision was "rushed". Luckily for me I can afford to wait for the next revision since my Core Duo Macbook is still going strong
     
  22. ntrigue macrumors 68040

    ntrigue

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2007
    #23

    I concur that the smaller cache is a concern. I would suggest a refurb 2.4/2.6 and plan to sell for a negligible loss in July.
     
  23. ckeck macrumors 6502a

    ckeck

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    Location:
    Texas
    #24
    Bad move IMHO...I highly doubt Apple will push out an update in June...it will more likely be August at the next big Mac event.
     
  24. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

    Viper2005

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #25
    I would bet on August for the next MBP update. Montevina will still use Penryn processors, albeit with an upgrade to 1066Mhz FSB. I wouldn't bet on any change to the GPU, as the next logical upgrade the 9600M GT hasn't been announced yet.
    My recommendation would be to buy the newly released Penryns, take advantage of the larger HD and VRAM, then wait until 2009 to upgrade to the new Nehalem processors. If there is a case redesign I think it will happen when Nehalem is released.
     

Share This Page