Cancelled space black SS after seeing it

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chfilm, Apr 10, 2015.

1. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I ordered the SS SB and a SS classic leather this morning and then went to the store., after seeing them both on real life and having them both on my arm, I gotta admit, the space black looked better in the pics than for real, while with the regular SS, it was exactly the opposite. It looks so elegant and stylish on reality.. Especially with the leather, it felt like the natural organic material was sort of towned down the techy vibe of the watch.. I really liked that. While the SS SB felt like a gadget from the future, it was just too spacey for me somehow. So I canceled it and am gonna go with the silver one :)

2. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You mean after you had the SS link on your arm and looked at the Space Black in the case. They didn't have any Space Black for try ons.

3. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

Yes they did...

4. FoxD macrumors 6502

Good move, it doesn't look good. It's not as black or shiny as in the pics.

The Sports bands look and felt great! I was surprised. They also looked very classy with the SS. White and black are my faves.

5. mizzourah macrumors regular

Agreed..they did. I tried one on at my store.

6. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Wow, you guys were lucky. All the stores I've heard of and the one I went to didn't even have any for try ons. I guess I'll have to call some of the other stores around me to see if they have one.

By the way, I ordered one this morning and saw it in the case. I will agree that it's not as dark as I was hoping, but I still think it looks great. I bought the black sport band as well.

7. mizzourah macrumors regular

I agree 100% - I preordered the Black SS and when I put it on in the store, it wasn't as dark as the pictures. I still liked it, but.....wondered if I made a mistake. I did also order the black sports band..which what's the difference between the regular black and the black with stainless steal pin (I ordered the one with the SS pin and it looks more like a case)..but the black sports band for when I work out makes me feel a bit better about its overall lack of 'darkness'.

8. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

It's just not as versatile. The black SS doesn't go with other bands like the SS does.

9. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Thank you. I'm changing my mind from SS to black SS now the chance I will get it soon is just bigger. :)

10. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

I had my order confirmation for this at 8:01am, so will definitely be getting it on release day.

Went to Apple shop on my lunch break, and I agree, it doesn't look nearly as good as in the pics :(

Thinking of selling it unopened and maybe if I get extra cash for it, it might cover the cost of the SS. Although I'm going to be waiting AGES for them to come back into stock :(

11. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

I was all aboard the Space Black Link Bracelet before seeing it in person.. just doesn't seem as elegant as the normal SS LB. Ordered a Milanese loop instead, and may look into some third party bands eventually.

12. NTurner42 macrumors regular

NTurner42

My local Apple Store had only one Space Black SS for try on, with a bouncer that brought it from customer to customer per request. lol also noticed that there were three guards standing next to the Apple Watch try on displays.

13. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

The all black look is a special case that can be really hard to get used to and one will generally fall in and out of love for it. I don't think it's good for being your only choice which makes it rough in the case of the Apple Watch since the only practical way to switch up your look is to either not wear AW at all or switch bands. If you're sporting a very large wrist and 42mm works for you, some of the leather loop bands in lighter colors might be okay looking, maybe the white sport or something... but it's all a stretch.

Fact is, the plain SS is just more versatile. One can go all metal and when they want something earthier, the leather bands work with less color conflict. Plus, that SS finish is never going to look like plastic in the way an all black watch sometimes does.

It would be an easier call if it was more stylistically versatile so you could do something else on those random days it just looks awful to you.

Source: long time wearer of all black SS watch.

14. vito macrumors 6502a

Same here, store didn't have any Space Black to try-on

15. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Had a brief think about it.

Going to keep the SG42S, not going to pay nearly double for something else and wait 2 extra months when it's something I could be using and training with. Will wait for gen 2 for that.

Would probably get scammed anyway :eek::D

Roll on 24th :apple:

(Would cost nearly double as would go for SS Classic Buckle)

16. herb666 macrumors newbie

The Space Black SS in the presentation table looks like gunmetal, the watch for try on is really deep black like in the store

17. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

After seeing some other pics from real try-on sessions, I kinda feel like the SG + Black Loop actually looks better than the Space Black SS anyway. I think it's the textures involved.

18. urda, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2015

urda Suspended

urda

Space Black looked terrible in person. I will be keeping my Stainless Steel order, and well not sure what to do with my Space Black. It is the earliest ship date, hm.

19. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Space Black is Stainless Steel?

20. urda Suspended

urda

21. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Yes. Stainless Steel with DLC coating which is basically carbon bonded to the steel. Makes it really hard. Like... ridiculous hard to scratch. You have to dig out a substantial layer of metal to see below the black. But the look of polished DLC Stainless is... often mistaken for cheap plastic :(

I think the band looks nice but the case looks like plastic to me. As far as very dark watches go, I actually think the Space Gray Sport + Black Leather Loop looks nicer, but, I'm a 38 so it's not even an option. Good thing I felt like going with a brighter look on this next watch.

22. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Did the same.

The official photos of the links look much thicker (depth). In person I found both links underwhelming, thin and sharp. Hopefully they bring out a chunky version.. The quality just wasn't there this time around. $650 just for the band here in Australia - ridiculous.

Milanese looked and felt much better.

23. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Just you put you didn't like the Space black but was keeping the SS, which is the same thing.

Definitely keeping mine now and getting this strap :D

24. urda Suspended

urda

... No it's not. It's not the same thing at all. There's the Stainless Steel (SS) and the Space Black Stainless Steel. Two completely different watches.

Attached Files:

• asdf.png
      asdf.png
      File size:
      362.8 KB
      Views: