Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Still all SS.

You seem slow, so let me help you. In nearly every instance in this forum, saying "SS" or "Stainless" or otherwise referring to stainless steel without qualifying it as space black in some way (SB SS, Space Black, etc.) refers to the regular, non-DLC stainless steel case and/or link bracelet.

Call it colloquial convention, or whatever. You're not going to change this, only suffer from failure to communicate. Best to adapt.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
You seem slow, so let me help you. In nearly every instance in this forum, saying "SS" or "Stainless" or otherwise referring to stainless steel without qualifying it as space black in some way (SB SS, Space Black, etc.) refers to the regular, non-DLC stainless steel case and/or link bracelet.

Call it colloquial convention, or whatever. You're not going to change this, only suffer from failure to communicate. Best to adapt.

They're still both stainless :p

:cool:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Good move, it doesn't look good. It's not as black or shiny as in the pics.

The Sports bands look and felt great! I was surprised. They also looked very classy with the SS. White and black are my faves.

I tried on a black watch and thought it was black enough. Silver just looks better to me and I dont like the whole "tech geek coming through" look of an all black watch.

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
I ordered the SS SB and a SS classic leather this morning and then went to the store., after seeing them both on real life and having them both on my arm, I gotta admit, the space black looked better in the pics than for real, while with the regular SS, it was exactly the opposite. It looks so elegant and stylish on reality.. Especially with the leather, it felt like the natural organic material was sort of towned down the techy vibe of the watch.. I really liked that. While the SS SB felt like a gadget from the future, it was just too spacey for me somehow. So I canceled it and am gonna go with the silver one :)

Funny. This is the exact reason I DID buy the Space Black SS. I wasn't convinced until I saw it at my local Apple Store. It's definitely more "gunmetal" in appearance than what's represented online...and that's right up my alley.

herb666

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
Funny. This is the exact reason I DID buy the Space Black SS. I wasn't convinced until I saw it at my local Apple Store. It's definitely more "gunmetal" in appearance than what's represented online...and that's right up my alley.

Have you try it on or did you see the it in the table?

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: maleficent86

specik

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I tried on a black watch and thought it was black enough. Silver just looks better to me and I dont like the whole "tech geek coming through" look of an all black watch.

A lot of people have made references to the "tech geek" thing. We're forgetting that at the end of the day this is an Apple Watch. It's literally a computer strapped to your wrist. Choosing a color simply because you don't want other people seeing you as a "tech geek" seems silly.

With all the advertising Apple will be pouring into this thing once the 24th rolls around, nearly everyone will know you're wearing an Apple Watch. It doesn't matter which collection, color or band. It will unapologetically and unforgivingly scream "TECH GEEK COMING THROUGH!"

KGWVU

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I struggled with choosing between the classic SS with link bracelet and the space black. I chose the classic as it is more versatile and was very happy I did so when I saw the space black in person.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I cancelled it anyway because it was the 3rd on my order. Didn't want to take a chance at my wife's being cancelled, or the whole order.

herb666

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014

The one in the presentation table looks like gunmetal, the watch that they give you for try on looks dark black (the picture with watch on the wrist). I´ve seen this at my appointment

Attachments

• Apple-Watch-dans-vitrine-4.jpg
    Apple-Watch-dans-vitrine-4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 228
  • Unbenannt.jpg
    Unbenannt.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
A lot of people have made references to the "tech geek" thing. We're forgetting that at the end of the day this is an Apple Watch. It's literally a computer strapped to your wrist. Choosing a color simply because you don't want other people seeing you as a "tech geek" seems silly.

With all the advertising Apple will be pouring into this thing once the 24th rolls around, nearly everyone will know you're wearing an Apple Watch. It doesn't matter which collection, color or band. It will unapologetically and unforgivingly scream "TECH GEEK COMING THROUGH!"

I will gladly wear the "Tech geek" label as a badge of honor. If the the space black screams "tech geek", that just makes me want it more. Man that would make a great license plate. Hmm....

----------

The one in the presentation table looks like gunmetal, the watch that they give you for try on looks dark black like on these pictures. I´ve seen this at my appointment

Wow, even the one in the display table looks inky black compared to the one they had at my store. They must have had some early prototype version in the case. This is very encouraging. :) thanks for posting those pics. Plus, you're right, they are like 2 totally different versions.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
I actually think the black looks better, but I've had bad luck with black watches, and the scratches look like hell :( Ordered silver SS, and will be getting a 3rd party link band or 2 or three, if history is any measure.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

Maybe but I think silver is more stylish and less of that "tech geek coming through" look IMO. I

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
The Space Black SS in the presentation table looks like gunmetal, the watch for try on is really deep black like in the store

Exactly! What was with that? I found the same to be true. Must've been the lighting

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Exactly! What was with that? I found the same to be true. Must've been the lighting

It certainly wasn't the lighting in my store. I was shocked at what a light color it was. It looked like a different watch from all of the pics and videos I've seen. I'm going to checkout some other stores in my area and see if any have one to try on. Fortunately I live in an area where I have 4 Apple stores within a 25 mile radius.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I agree with the poster who said the color is more gunmetal, but I think it looks nice. It's a bit heavy, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.