Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BGN

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
"cannot connect to youtube" problem - my solution

Hi.

I seem to solve the problem. Actually this was a solution to the wireless connection problem of my PS3, but it worked for iphone too.

Steps:

1. Go to "Settings"

2. Select "Wi-Fi"

3. Edit your own wireless connection on the list.

4. Choose "Static" for IP Address
(I choose that to prevent interference with other wireless devices at home. You can choose it even if you do not have any other wireless device than iphone; no problem.)

5. Choose "Automatic" for HTTP Proxy (Actually "Off" works too)

6. Below are my settings. What is the trick here is the number I enter for "DNS". I dont know how but it solves the problem (both for my iphone and for my PS3):

IP Address: ***.***.*.82
(The number 82 here can be anything as long as it is different from those assigned for other wireless devices at home. Choose something bigger than 20 in order to make sure that it wont interfere with other devices. Note: Do not change the previous numbers)

Subnet Mask: Do not change this entry

Router: Do not change this entry

DNS: 208.67.222.222

(This is important. Enter exactly these numbers for "DNS". I dont know how it works but it works.)

Now I have no problem with youtube on my iphone. I hope this works for you too.

aldorande

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2009
Same issue here on my iPhone 3G newly restored(iTunes9)+jailbroken(blackra1n)+unlocked(sn0w). The firmware version is 3.1.2.

YouTube used to work perfectly before the restore. Nothing should have changed since I loaded my backup iphone config from my computer.

That fails with Wifi AND 3G.
sync with iTunes 9.1
give the device a fix ip address
fails from safari

Most of the steps of this topic are very inaccurate: it seems that some of you fixed it with just luck. :D

So that can't be the network
that's not youtube :p
that should be something on the phone : I might try a new restore with 3.1.2 soon to see if that fixes it.

tltuolliac

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2009
My father purchased an iTouch of his own recently, and he can use the YouTube application. This is definitely device-side.

None of these new suggestions involving fiddling with the network settings are doing anything for me, though.

Let me also reiterate that my iTouch is not Jailbroken, and I will not do so for the sake of fixing this.

I also had him try bringing up YouTube in Safari, and to clarify what that allows you to do exactly, is just to link to the video within the native player within the OS. It won't play in Safari.

tltuolliac

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2009
Well, I may never know what exactly caused the problem, but the iOS 4.0 update fixed it. That seems to be the final option, short of taking it to a Genius Bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.