cannot restore jailbrokem iphone, even DFU fails.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ifruitfly, Nov 11, 2009.

1. ifruitfly macrumors member

Please help! Complex, cannot restore jailbrokem iphone, even DFU fails. Error message at SAME point each time when itunes is “waiting for phone” half way through restore process

I have been up all night (LITERLY) trying to find a solution, I have read a lot of the SAME stuff over-and-over-and-over again so I will try to make this as concise as possible.

I have a 3GS running 3.1.2. I updated due to the ease of jailbraeking with blackra1n. So I jailbroke the phone a couple days ago, everything went smoothly and I had been having the time of my life, until…

I downloaded NES and the same emulator for saga genesis. I also downloaded the ROMs for both of them. The NES would not open, the saga did open. I played sonic for a few minutes but the sounds were crackling. I decided to uninstall all 4 of the aforementioned packages from cydia to avoid any problems.

While uninstalling NES, the iphone crashed and got stuck in reboot mode. (It is possible, that cydia was trying to give me a delayed error message for the “sinful source” during the uninstall. I don’t remember exactly). I finally figured out how to turn it off, but once turned back on, it goes right back to the reboot loop.

I tried to restore it but itunes will not restore. It comes back saying “an unknown error occurred (9).” I have done nearly EVERYTHING the support page said to do. I have done nearly EVERYTHING the forums said to do, and nothing!

I am running windows XP.
    -- I have used different USB wires and ports, even a hub, rebooted pc etc etc
    -- I have tried it in both reboot mode and DFU mode
    -- I know DFU is being done correctly because windows confirms this, and the log files from the failed restore do as well

Here is what happens:
    -- The SAME thing happens REGARDLESS of how I try to restore, DFU, or not.
    -- itunes begins the restore process. It gets through the “preparing phase” just fine.
    -- Executing software, no problem. Verifying with apple; the screen goes white for about 30 seconds. (Are they bricking me?). Then it “prepares for restore”.
    -- At this point itunes says it is “waiting for the phone”. Now you can see the apple logo and a progress bar. The progress bar does not advance at all, and after five seconds the error message comes up.

Because the exact same thing is happening at the exact same point, I don’t think uninstalling itunes or creating a new account will make a difference, am I wrong?

Additional information and questions:
    I synced and backed-up two or three times after the jailbreak, most recently a few hours before the crash. I copied the backup file to my desktop. If I uninstall itunes, will I be able to restore from last backup?

After jailbreaking, I changed the root and admin passwords via terminal as advised. Could changing these passwords from alpine be the problem? And if so, is there a fix?

I live about an hour and a half from an apple store. I will happily go there if I have to, but would clearly like to avoid it... The phone is ‘still under warrantee’, well.. yah know... sorta… Of course I will not tell them I jailbroke the phone, but will they be able to tell? I wanted to wait for some responses before calling since apple doesn’t care if your phone gets stolen, but jailbreaking, that’s another story. Plus, I’m not exactly sure how to “call” them… Lastly, and most obviously, do any of you know what the problem is and how it can be solved?

ANY advice, help, suggestion, insight, anything will be greatly appreciated!!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If DFU mode won't work try to get into Recovery Mode and see if that makes a difference. Or try to go to another computer and do a DFU restore and setup as new.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Restart the computer

Try turning off iTunes, unplug phone, hold down home button, plug in the phone, keep holding the home key until the iTunes logo with plug appears. Let go off the home button and fire up iTunes and see if the recovery mode works.

Good luck.

4. rlin0997 macrumors newbie

i have and iphone 3gs 16gb. i was running 3.1.2. i used the latest blackra1n and installed cydia and i am having the same issue. the error code that i get is "error code 9"

dfu mode, recovery mode, restarts, two other computers i tried it on, uninstalls/reinstalls, deleting profiles, re-jailbreaking. i have searched the net for 8 hours looking for a solution. is there a non-apple software package that will restore my iphone?

5. ifruitfly thread starter macrumors member

rlin, first, i feel ye man... im beginning to think the phone is dead. i just want to clarify something, when tried it on other computers, did you have any success at all? you mentioned "re-jailbreaking". were you ever able to restore it at all? i have a feeling the answer is no, but i wanted to make sure?
    also, if you have a 3gs, like me, then your also under the warranty time. have you any thoughts on taking it to an apple store. i feel like that is the only hope, yet also the only sure way to get blacklisted, assuming apple didnt brick the phone during the restore... is your error message also happening when it says "waiting for phone"? do you get a progress bar, does it do anything?
    what im curious about is, if we are having the exact same issue, then it may have a common cause... i doubt you were uninstalling a non-responsive NES when it crashed. point being, identical issue brought on by un-identical events rules out the "thing" that caused the crash in the first place. perhaps we can get to the root of the problem and find out where to get the right fix... as in, if i know the NES had nothing to do with it, then perhaps its the blackra1n (the thing in common). did you have any sound issues prior to your crash? lemme know, maybe there is hope yet -- power in numbers...

6. Bakakage macrumors 6502

If you are worried of the backup from uninstalling itunes, then find the folder where the backup is located and movie it to a more secure spot, then reinstal itunes from there. There might be an issue with the the actual 3.1.2 fw you downloaded from itunes, so try redownloading that if you can.

7. darkrom macrumors newbie

The exact same thing has happened to me. Mine started the rebooting in the middle of a text message. I've been without a phone for over 24 hours. I took it to apple and tried restoring it in the store and still got error 9. That was in BOTH recovery mode and DFU mode.

This was a 3.1.2 3GS that I've had for a while and I'm positive it's not the new tethered jailbreak ones. It had 3.0.1 on it when I got it and it was working fine normally until now.

I need my phone :( Any ideas?

8. DeLoMan macrumors regular

Darkrom, how did you jailbreak yours? Blackra1n?

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The only thing you might also try is to use iRecover.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

They can't get out of the reboot loop. They can't get into DFU or recovery mode.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I sorta skimed what they read. Apparently it's the infamous Error 9. Constant reboot and no chance of DFU/Restore.

Many people give up and end up going to the Apple Store and get a new one. (They don't mention jailbreaking obviously)

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Small update....

try updating to the latest iTunes and restarting your computer. After try again turning on and hooking to iTunes. Hit Restore when possible.

Apparently, Error 9 is due to a missing file.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, I forgot to mention that error. First I've heard of it. Anyway, learned something new tonight. Thanks. At least, they can stop wasting their time. However, I thought you couldn't brick an iPhone.

Regarding your update, I believe some of the posters tried on another computer, but I could be mixing up threads at this late hour.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's not bricked per say (hence it starts and reboots). It simply is missing a file. I have seen very rare instances of recovery from Error 9, but that was back in my hackit0sh.org days, I don't recall the thread or procedure. Mind you I do remember it required fast skills.

Edit - More info... OP, it's best you take it to Apple. Recent attempts are not successful and the constant reboot won't let the Genius even examine your iPhone for jailbreaks. Thus, they have no other option but to declare hardware failure (although it's not).

BTW, there was a fix for this, but the fix is back from the 1.0.x days (1st Gen iPhones) and will not work on current ones. Sorry, but Apple is your only hope at the moment.

16. ifruitfly thread starter macrumors member

darkroom, i would also like to know if you used Blackra1n to JB, perhaps we are getting onto something; a lead which is better than a brick...
    but i would also like to know: when you went to the apple store, did you attempt the restores, or did "they" attempt to do it? i dont spend much time at the orchard so i dont know if you can "self-serve". however, if you talked to any of the "pickers" (employees), how did that go?
    i feel like they should have either determined that it was JBed or fix/replace it... but your still without a phone which leads me to believe you can pick your own apples at the orchard.

ps thank you to everyone for the suggestions thus far -- still not working though. please keep the ideas coming!!

i find it hard to believe that the device can just die like that with no recourse. yet the shiny dead screen informs otherwise... i mean, everyone (windows users at least) have had to reformat at some point or another. i never heard of a dell that would not reformat...eventually... if we were talking about pc's, i would be screaming hardware! hardware! but we're not. is there that close a nexus between the software and hardware such that the former could alter the ladder?

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Blackra1n will not fix this. Please read my posts.

18. ifruitfly thread starter macrumors member

jav, THANK YOU SO MUCH!! great info! i was writing my reply and didnt see your posts.

i can get it out of reboot mode, by holding down the sleep and home button for about 10 seconds until it powers off. during the restore, the error generates a log file that they ask me to send them. i dont of course. but i did copy and save one. i will post it below. from this in-between state of being prepped for restore, but not restored, can they tell that it was jailbroken? if they cant, problem solved!

i'm afraid that they have a special cider that they can dip the phone in to check for prison jumpsuit residue?? is it safe to take it to the store??

on second thought, i can post the log file (if that would be helpful), but it probably contains my phone's ID which i dont want to advertise... i just want to know if they will be able to tell it was JBed from the log file?

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

A Genius won't spend much time trying to check throughly if your iPhone was or wasn't jailroken. Remember, they have other customers waiting for support as well and must get to them also.

So, if they try, they'll try twice, but like I said before, they'll fail. See: Error 9. That will just make them think, "Oh hardware problem", swap it and off you go.

I won't guarantee 100% this, because this what others have done and worked.

20. ifruitfly thread starter macrumors member

sorry if my metaphors are a little kookie, ive been up for well over 36 hours... my head's a little kookie -- night

21. ifruitfly thread starter macrumors member

jav, you da man! (i think lol)

prob a good idea to go when they are very busy

22. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Taking it back to Apple should work fine.

The fact that this happened at all in the first place makes me fear for my iPhone though!

23. rlin0997 macrumors newbie

sorry guys i slept in. i have been worried sick about this phone thing. yes i did have some roms on it but i wasnt playing it at the time of the crash. i have an apt with apple today. i was wondering if they can tell if the phone was jail broken? it does generate a report with some info on it. i cant tell if this will tell them that i tampered with it.

i am broke right now and the last thing i wanna do is buy another phone.

why hasn't any programmers, or developers come up with a utility to restore the iphone without itunes (or is this bricking thing pretty rare?)

24. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

It's unlikely Apple will be able to tell, and even less likely that the genius will suspect anything and care enough to even try finding out.

Yes a iPhone getting fully bricked like this is VERY rare, and it sounds like one of the emulator programs or the repo distributing ROMs has a huge bug, or a worm in the code.

25. rlin0997 macrumors newbie

Good news i went to the Apple store and they replaced my iphone with out even asking a question. i think it will be a while before i hack this thing again