Can't Access Target Disk mode after installing SSD (TiBook)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AL1630, Jun 7, 2018.

1. AL1630 macrumors 6502

AL1630

I got myself an mSATA ssd and the Ableconn IDE adapter that people recommend, and I installed it in my TiBook. I made a disk image of the leopard install I had on the old HD, and I was planning to copy it over via target disk mode. The problem is, whenever I hold down 'T' the computer just shuts off. The SSD and adapter work, and I have Tiger installed from a CD. Does anybody know hot to get Target Disk working?

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Try using startup disk in system preferences to reboot to TDM.

3. AL1630 thread starter macrumors 6502

AL1630

I just tried using System Preferences, but it does the same thing where it just shuts off.

4. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

5. AL1630 thread starter macrumors 6502

AL1630

1GHz, DVI. Model Number A1025

6. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

There were no Firmware updates for the 1Ghz TiBook, so that rules that idea out. If you disconnect the SSD and just run TDM with a disc in the optical drive, does it still shut off? If so, it could be a PRAM/PMU issue; Try disconnecting the PRAM battery.

I have the (same) red Lindy and Addonics mSATA adapters in my AlBooks. But I bought cheap $9 adapters (JM20330 chipset) for my TiBook 867, Pismo and two iBooks - no problems.

7. AL1630 thread starter macrumors 6502

AL1630

Ok, I disconnected the SSD and tried to use TD with just a cd, but it just tried to boot the CD and came to the Flashing question/No OS screen. I zapped the PRAM and it still just shuts off.

Then, I put the old spinning drive back in, and Target Disk works fine again.

8. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

Strange. The mSATA adapter must be conflicting with the Firewire TDM somehow. I can’t recall, but are there any jumper settings on the adapter that you can try? Maybe try setting Master instead of Cable Select if that is an option.

I haven’t run the red adapter in my TiBook so I can’t confirm it to be an issue, but I know the cheap adapters work and can drop into TDM on the TiBook without any problems.

Can anybody running a Lindy, Ableconn or Addonics mSATA adapter in a TiBook confirm TDM is working?

9. AL1630 thread starter macrumors 6502

AL1630

I just tried all the jumper settings on the adapter, when holding down 'T' it just boots into the OS. The original drive doesn't have a jumper, but the adapter just booted into the OS without a jumper on it.

10. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

How about setting TDM in System preferences?

11. AL1630 thread starter macrumors 6502

AL1630

That worked. Thanks for the help! Now to clone my previous install...

12. G4fanboy, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018

G4fanboy macrumors regular

Last week I had the same trouble. The lindy adapter by default is on cable select. I put that jumper off to be on máster and TDM came back. On the first 17" PowerBook.
    TDM needs the drives how he likes it. I couldnt call target disk mode even from system preferences/boot disk
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2018 ---
    I also have a PM G4 that cant be booted i. TDM. I guess the drives are in Máster/Slave instead of cable select or viceversa

13. AL1630 thread starter macrumors 6502

AL1630

Yep, IDE is annoyingly picky sometimes.