Can't decide which to buy x or 8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brandonjr36, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys have an s8 currently and looking to change carriers and go back to an iPhone. Just can't decide if I want the X or the 8. X owners that had the 8. Is it worth going to the X? Also have you X owners had any issues?

2. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

I haven’t had the 8, but I can say the biggest thing I’m getting used to is the weight of the phone. Since you have the S8 it isn’t as pronounced, but coming from the 6/7, the weight gain on the X is noticeable.

Beyond that, you will get a bit more useable screen real estate and a higher resolution screen from the X. And a more advanced dual camera setup compared to the single camera setup on the 8. Really depends on you if that is worth the extra money to you.

3. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I dont really use the camera much. But I like how the X has the bigger screen. And not sure if I will like the face id

4. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

5. Jjayf macrumors 6502

Face ID is the best thing since sliced ham. Honestly, once you get the hang of it, it operates like it's not even there. It's so fast that by the time you can swipe up, the phone is unlocked.

6. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

7. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Hmm, that's a little steep...

8. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

Came from a 7+ as well. Love the X. If you’re interested in getting the 8 get the X instead. If you are more interested in the 8+ or just the Plus models in general, I recommend checking a X out in store as you may not like the smaller form factor.

9. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah see that's what i was thinking I just don't no if I like the face id. Over the touch id.

10. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

The 8 is not obsolete in anyway. The only thing it doesn’t have over the X is the camera. Both have biometric abilities so I don’t count Face or Touch as it’s more preference than anything else.

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

That's ultimately the biggest separation between the iPhone 8 and iPhone X. Internally, the iPhone X and iPhone 8 are almost identical. But you have to ask yourself which form of security do you prefer, Face ID your touch ID? I would suggest experimenting with Face ID if you can, that might help you make your decision.

If you like Face ID, then I would suggest the iPhone X, as everything else is very well executed.

At least you would have 14 days to determine which phone you like as well.

12. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Love the X, no issues. If cost is a factor, I would get a 7 Plus in Matte Black.

13. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

The interesting arguments I’ve seen lately are the 8 Plus vs X. It’s kind of funny, the 8 is the low end of these high end phones.
    I would take the X over the 8 hands down. Similar form factor, but the X is so much better of an overall device. Better bigger screen, better battery life, better camera, the only similarity is processor.

The 8 Plus vs the X is where the snag comes in, but you didn’t ask about that difference.

14. john g. macrumors member

john g.

15. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Yeah, TouchID, the same processor and a bigger screen... so two weeks ago. Time to move out of the dark ages and get that X.

16. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Here's the thing, I mostly agree. But there are trade offs for the bigger screen and battery.

1) The weight is much closer to that of the 8+, than the 8, which is something to keep in mind. My 7 feels light in comparison. This alone isn't enough to make me wonder about my purchase though.
    2) The size is a bit bigger than the 6/7/8. I liked the form factor because the thickness and the width made the phone work pretty well for one-handed use. However, the X is just big enough that at least for my hands, has outgrown the one-handed use that I got used to with the other phones. If they could get it back into the same form factor as the 8, it'd be fine, but as it is now, I am using it two-handed more than I ever used the 7 two-handed because of the extra size.

So if one-handed use is important, I'd spend some time with these in the store first. And possibly make sure to leverage Apple's generous return policy if they offer it in your area (they do in the US). If one-handed use isn't as important, great, go for the X if money isn't a factor.

I'm actually in the position where I'm going to give the X a week or two to get used to, but if I don't adapt, I'm trading it in and getting an 8 (I have enjoyed the benefits of wireless charging on the night stand). And it really boils down to the size, and my habits of trying to use it one-handed, which don't really work anymore.

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

It’s 2017 mate.

*snaps fingers*

18. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Unless your on a budget, I would say get the X. It’s just a better phone all around. If you are on a budget get the 8, it’s still a great Phone. I would go as far as to say, if you are going that route the 7 maybe be an option. Unless you need wireless charging, I don’t see much need for the 8. Just my 2 cents.

19. pdxmatts, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

If you are comparing the regular 8 specs (720 screen) to the X, then the X is hands down the better option. If you are comparing the 8 Plus (1080 screen) to the X, then it's a difference between slightly better camera, OLED and FaceID versus LED, TouchID and apps are already optimized. The 8 Plus is 16.9 full screen and the X isn't. If the X is too pricey and you don't want the Plus size or care about wireless charging or camera, then I would go with a 7 because there is no difference between the 7 and 8 besides more weight, glass back, wireless charging and a slightly faster processor.

The 7 is only a year old. The price has been lowered and your new carrier may have a great deal going on it as a new customer plus you can get 128gb's for less then the 8 or the X 64gb. The 7 still comes with IOS 10 out of the box and you can wait to update until IOS 11 has been fixed and wait for next year for the updates to the X from any problems that come from being an early adopter.

20. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea I already had the 7. I think ill go with the X I'm just not sure on the face id.

21. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

Pretty simple. Do you want Apple’s phone of the future or the phone of times gone by?

22. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I have the iPhone 8 and I love it. Works great for me minus the usual like battery life doesn’t seem too great. But I did make a genius appt so maybe that will help.

The X is amazing though. If I wasn’t concerned about safety I’d go with the X. I feel like the 8 is less noticeable when out late at night partying so maybe safer when walking down the sidewalk to get to your car or wherever.

23. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

Except the 8 has the design, bezels, and display of the iPhone 6 which is 3 years old.

24. streetskooler macrumors member

No question unless money is a serious issue go with the X. My wife has an 8 & I got the X and the 8 just doesn’t look new. It’s looks old like the 7 and the 6 before it. That design is/was nice it’s just outdated now.

25. royinla14 macrumors 6502

You are exactly right in your analysis and hit the points I am currently struggling with. I have had the x since Saturday coming from the 7 (not plus) and the weight addition is very noticeable, and the fact that I cant use it one handed anymore. FaceID works, but not as fast as the touchID unlock, so I am now thinking of getting the 8. The only thing that is holding me, is the fact that the 8 does not have the Portrait camera modes, which is actually pretty awesome on the x and the 8 plus....