Can't decide which to buy x or 8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brandonjr36, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

I'm an S8 owner...

Get the iPhone X

The Iphone 8 will be boring to you!

2. pdxmatts, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Oh, I didn't know that, then I would go with the X for sure if you don't want the Plus size!

3. subway35 macrumors newbie

subway35

4. Another Day macrumors member

Get the X if you want the latest apple flagship device. Face ID and the OLED display is definitely worth the premium.

Had to reset my 7+ yesterday it just felt so dated with the big bezels and home button.

5. iphonenewuser macrumors newbie

iphonenewuser

If you think FaceID just for unlock phone, go to 8 or 8+. I think FaceID will be future platform technology for many things. If you agree with me, go to X.

6. balderoine macrumors newbie

balderoine

I tested the 8 Plus for two weeks before getting my X and I felt like it was a solid phone. Coming from the 7 Plus, the display looked slightly better and it had quite the speed. When I upgraded to my X I really began to miss the bigger screen of the Plus. I rarely use the portrait mode selfie camera. FaceID seemed to work excellent for the first week but I've grown to be annoyed anytime I see the required passcode screen now. I had second thoughts returning my 8 but I really wanted the X. I wouldn't have minded if I had tried the X and but to be forced to downgrade. So if you're not really concerned about the price or new 1st gen quirks, go with the X. If you're looking for a fresh well built phone, go with the 8.

7. aleni macrumors 68020

I went with the 8, because the weight. iPhone X is so heavy it pains my back!

8. KPOM macrumors G5

Get the X. The 8 is a great phone. My sister has it. I held out for the X and don’t regret it. FaceID beats TouchID, as good as the latter system is. The bigger screen and better battery life in a similar size seal the deal for me.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    FaceID > TouchID. The X screen is really nice. Plus much smaller bezels.

9. iKrl macrumors regular

FaceID has inconvencibles, TouchID has inconveniences. For me the screen size in a smaller form factor is what made me want to get the X and I am really happy with it.

10. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Not everybody is that thrilled with the design of the X though. The back of it looks nice but the front looks gash in my opinion. The 8 looks like every other iPhone and we didn’t hate the look of it until the X came out and those buying it turned into self professed design snobs.

11. Hackett00 macrumors newbie

Great reply, but you left out how important touch ID is to you. It's a fantastic function that works really well. Too bad they couldn't implement it into the X this year, and hopefully they don't get rid of it. Both are great phones. Can't go wrong with either of the 3.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    Ooh, don't mention bezels. It triggers a couple people around here. lol.

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The more you use Face ID, the more you become accustomed to it and realize how convenient it really is. But for those who don't have experience with it, I can understand someone being hesitant. But you will find out shortly how much you like it.

13. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

Not really because everyone was criticizing the iPhone 7 for looking the same and there was no X then.

14. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

Curious why you're changing from a Galaxy S8 to an iPhone?

I had the S8 for 3 months but couldnt stomach android anymore so switched back to iPhone. Now i got the iPhone X and I'm so happy to have OLED back but on an iOS device :)

15. MacWins macrumors member

MacWins

Since you already had an iphone in my opinion, it is up to you to decide what you want "now".
    I come from Android (hTC, Samsung, LG, Huawei) the 8 Plus is my first iPhone and I did not want to start with a 1st generation to fix along the way - It’s not only me thinking that way, just read the list of threads here on the forum or take a tour on youtube or on the web as well. It’s just human thinking that way.
    Many people are finding it great, it's the phone they've been waiting for ever and "generally" this is the approach of who has already been an Apple user for some time and is therefore accustomed to both design and touch id -> i want change -> i choose the beseless screen and the brand new (for Apple at least) Face id technology.

Consider, however, that inside are practically the same: X has a bigger battery (speaking about hardware, then you need to see if it lasts more or less than 8+).
    It also has the portrait mode in the front camera (True depth camera).
    In my opinion, I repeat “my personal opinion”, I think it is a great product, but it is a transition product between the glorious past / present that has been tested and optimized and what Apple will decide to do with the models from 2018 onwards.

Even the screen, reading the specs, is bigger but the really visible and used X-optimized portion makes it smaller than the 8 plus.
    What do you think about the notch?
    You like it?

Do you also know that being an oled has among its features particular angles of vision and coloring on yellow or blue?

Having said this is your ratings, maybe you go and try both of them in person.
    Consider the dimensions, the ability to put them in your pocket and how do they fit your hands!
    Many have taken a model, kept a few days, changed idea again and again and eventually chose the phone for them.

I’ll wait a year at least to “encounter the future”, with optimized Face ID technology and a bezeless display (or smaller bezels), but only if the display will get bigger: now, the X is narrower, the 8+ is wider and this means all to me (watching a video on Youtube, browsing safari or reading a text, is really a different experience).

I'm fine and I really enjoy my 8+ and I'm very happy for those who are fine with their X, and I hope you’ll be happy with what you will choose.

16. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

lol, what? You need to hit the gym. You are talking 148g versus 174g here.

17. Bethanie21 macrumors regular

Bethanie21

How are the 8/8+ 'obsolete'? Because of the form factor? Ever considered the internals? They're the same as the X. ;):rolleyes::p

18. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

I have not had an 8. I went from a 5s to the X. I love my X; it is just a pure pleasure to use.

Why are you “not sure” about Face ID? It has worked fantastically for me; it goes beyond just unlocking your phone. Would not want to go back to Touch ID on my phone, and am wishing I had Face ID on my iPads!

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Worth is subjective.

you do get a phone that is more of a full redesign then the iPhone 8. With that said, much of the internals in the 8 are also in the X.

It boils down to your decision on wanting a full screen phone, with no button and FaceID. If you don't, get the 8, if you do, get the X

20. Bethanie21 macrumors regular

Bethanie21

So what? It doesn't affect the speed or performance of the phone. This only matters if you're materialistic and feel the need to brag about having the latest iPhone.

21. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

Or, um, if you want the new design, limited bezels, new screen, Face ID tech, the gestures, etc. I had a 5s since a week after launch until I went to the X. I will have the X for 2-3 years. I can assure you I do not need to brag about having the latest iPhone at all times.

22. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I was in the same boat. I love Touch ID. But I went ahead and got the X. And after week I can say that Face ID is almost flawless. I pick up my phone and swipe up and it’s on the home screen. Its almost as if u don’t have any security at all. It’s that seamless. You will love Face ID. And if that’s the only thing that has u hesitant to go for the X, I would say absolutely go for it. U won’t be disappointed. This is the future of security. And as much as I loved (and still love) Touch ID, Face ID makes it seem dated. Go get it and report back.

23. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Face ID is the bees knees. There is no comparison. Touch ID seems so old school once you experience Face ID. And it is for more than unlocking -- using on websites and apps (that require passwords) is seamless and super fast.

24. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I’d recommend the X. Came from a 7 Plus and loving the X. I really can’t imagine going back to touchID after FaceID, you forget that it’s even there most of the time when you’re unlocking the phone.

25. cardfan macrumors 65816

It boils down to wanting an optimized ios & app experience with the 8 plus vs the X which is the future of Apple smartphones but as such, apps are slowly being updated for it. iOS for the X needs tweaked. However, with ios 12 in around 6 months, look for that kind of stuff to get better. If you're into selfies, the X has a pretty good front camera.

Also, the 8 and 8 plus will have some pretty good deals starting tomorrow. Get a 300 gc at samsclub for example. Waiting til sep 2018 (and june 2018 for the ios 12 betas) isn't that long.