Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jphg

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
Another solution

Hi
i had the same issue : can't drag songs to playlists or to iPhone.

Solution : check your background running apps, investigate on what app or plugin is launching on startup (see System preferences>Account or directly in "Others") and try to deactivate the old ones or out of date.

For me i came upon a printer plug in, some Canon IJ network stuff, which was not working anyway. I deleted it from the "launch at startup" board, relaunched iTunes and it worked. !!! (or supposed. see below)

-------- live update :
5 minutes later, the stuff does not work no more. sometimes i can drag, sometimes i can't. i noticed the drag n drop is very………… light. the songs are "hard to catch". it turns me crazy.:confused: i can't drag to iPhone either.

-------- live update 2 :
Okay. Back to normal. Useful tip : if you're like me, graphic designer, or anything else who use a wacom tablet (or alike. in my case Wacom Graphire 4), be aware that the selection in iTunes (drag n drop) is totally functional with THE MOUSE.
raaaaah !!
The bug is just actually some cursor/pen sensitivity issue, and not software. :-/ HAHAHAHA !

Good luck to everyone.

Last edited:

Arithar

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
WTF! Apple in its usual top form...

Thanks jghg, same problem here. Using Wacom intuos, dragging is not working.

Hope they fix that soon; I dont want to use Mouse/Trackpad just for working in itunes. :mad:

mujaru

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Damn you apple!

-------- live update 2 :
Okay. Back to normal. Useful tip : if you're like me, graphic designer, or anything else who use a wacom tablet (or alike. in my case Wacom Graphire 4), be aware that the selection in iTunes (drag n drop) is totally functional with THE MOUSE.
raaaaah !!
The bug is just actually some cursor/pen sensitivity issue, and not software. :-/ HAHAHAHA !

Good luck to everyone.

Holy Crap! You nailed it for me! Thank you so much!

K.C.

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
Hi
i had the same issue : can't drag songs to playlists or to iPhone.

raaaaah !!

Good luck to everyone.

Nice find! thanks, I had this problem too, I'm off to the Wacom site to see if there is a solution.

I still have one problem since the upgrade to Lion; when I drag a song from itunes to my desktop the artwork is lost (while I embedded all the artwork). Does anyone else suffer from this.

PCvet

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2011
Australia
Can't drag files in itunes

Yes this has happened to me too (itunes 10.1.10)

I cannot drag/droo music or movies without itunes crashing.

I can use the MENU and open the folder and select the file(s) and this works.
I have created a new user in Windows 7 and tested .. well .. drag/drop works.
I have copied the Itunes OLD library to the new windows user and things are working
I have the same folder rights for both users and the registery setting for CURRENT USER are the same regarding ITUNES.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled iTune with no luck

Conclusion:
Problem is within windows user profile, and hence restoring to a recent windows backup has worked.

If you do not have a backp then the answer for you is
Use the Menu to select files to add to iTune.

Clowney

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
Hi
Useful tip : if you're like me, graphic designer, or anything else who use a wacom tablet (or alike. in my case Wacom Graphire 4), be aware that the selection in iTunes (drag n drop) is totally functional with THE MOUSE.
raaaaah !!

GAH! INDEED! This worked for me as well. Pain in the ass to not have my tablet work with dragging files in iTunes, but it's SO GOOD to have consistent results again!

Now to figure out why my Wacom tablet & pen are misbehaving with iTunes.....

PCvet

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2011
Australia
I am not sure it this will help anyone directly, but justproviding the information to confirm that MY drag/drop issue was windows profile based.

I did install another iTune lternative management tool to quicky get contacts of an old iPhine which was configured for company MS Exchange and hence coudl not SYNC with a new on home computer.

Great tool .. iMacSoft
Got the various contact books configured on iPhone

Well, I decide to uninstall and check as this was the only tool I had other than ITUNES be related.

Now I ca drag/drop into iTunes without it crashing.

So your answer could be to remove any other toosl installed that provide similar functions to iTunes.

Hope this helps someone.

kate7250

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
GAH! INDEED! This worked for me as well. Pain in the ass to not have my tablet work with dragging files in iTunes, but it's SO GOOD to have consistent results again!

Now to figure out why my Wacom tablet & pen are misbehaving with iTunes.....

I am having the exact same problem. I am using a modbook which has a wacom cintiq screen. The weird thing is sometimes it works but it appears to be random! I have installed the latest driver 5.2.1-3 to no avail

Anyone coming up with an answer regarding the wacom issue would be much appreciated - I too don't want to have to plug in a mouse just to use itunes!

Cheers
Kate

sgreernrg

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2011
Dragging music itunes / files finder / OS Lion

Using Lion, MBPro. I upgraded less than a month ago and I wish I hadn't.
I also thought I couldn't drag files... (iTunes) but I noticed that is simply a delay. If you try enough times and keep the mouse held down, etc. it does work. It's a terribly annoying thing and a serious time waster. It's such a ridiculous glitch that makes me yearn for the days of OS9.

I still can't drag files in Finder. I'll try a restart.

kate7250

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
I am having the exact same problem. I am using a modbook which has a wacom cintiq screen. The weird thing is sometimes it works but it appears to be random! I have installed the latest driver 5.2.1-3 to no avail

Anyone coming up with an answer regarding the wacom issue would be much appreciated - I too don't want to have to plug in a mouse just to use itunes!

Cheers
Kate

Well I got a reply from Wacom, not that it's much help but perhaps I'll try installing an older version of itunes if that is possible...

"Kate,

The newest version of iTunes doesn't seem to be compatible with pen tablets.
Hopefully, there will be a fix for this in the near future.

Thank you for contacting Wacom."

hypouxa2677

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
I started to have the same issue when I updated to itunes 10.4 I am using a Wacom Graphite tablet and I updated the drivers but still no dice. However the drag n drop into new playlist functionality works with the track pad that is on my MBPro so it is the Wacom that is culprit. This has been bugging me for weeks! I reverted back to itunes 10.3.1 to resolve the issue, but Im glad I now know what it is.

IM running now itunes 10.5 and OS 10.6.8. Wacom driver version 5.2.5-3 which doesn't resolve the issue unfortunately, so using the laptop trackpad is the only way it works. :(

Last edited:

hypouxa2677

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
So is the issue resolved now that you are running itunes 10.5?

No, it is still not working, but I updated to iOS 5 so I needed to get itunes 10.5 in order to use it. So the temporary work around will have to be with using the trackpad on my laptop.

kate7250

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
No, it is still not working, but I updated to iOS 5 so I needed to get itunes 10.5 in order to use it. So the temporary work around will have to be with using the trackpad on my laptop.

This is a bugger, I just updated to the latest iteration and now my workarounds don't work at all. When I tried to go back to an earlier version of itunes it couldn't access my library, so that was useless.

When I installed the latest version this message came up:

"system extension cannot be used
System Library/Extensions/DisplayLinkDriver.kext was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it or contact the product's vendor for an update"

Which presumably is connected with this issue but I have no idea how to deal with it - any clues?

hypouxa2677

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
This is a bugger, I just updated to the latest iteration and now my workarounds don't work at all. When I tried to go back to an earlier version of itunes it couldn't access my library, so that was useless.

When I installed the latest version this message came up:

"system extension cannot be used
System Library/Extensions/DisplayLinkDriver.kext was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it or contact the product's vendor for an update"

Which presumably is connected with this issue but I have no idea how to deal with it - any clues?

No clue, what were you re-installing again?

goatroper

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011
Thanks to jphg from an old fart with a Wacom tablet.
Up until his input, I had nothing but frustration with the "simple solutions" listed here.
Yes, it is a pain in the ass to unplug the tablet and fire up the mouse, but having iTunes back is worth the effort. Hopefully, they'll have a fix before too many years.

bmaiani

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Can't drag files in itunes

Astonishing that this problem has been around so long and not been fixed: Apple this is ridiculous. I am using iTunes 10.5.3 on Windows 7 (at work, behind a firewall????....), and this just started on my system January 24 2012. EXACTLY the same symptoms described here, from a 2006 on a Mac!

For the record my iMac at home is fine.

I am really surprised that Apple has ignored this issue: it has HUNDREDS of posts on both platforms for multiple devices: FOR YEARS. Google "itunes can't add songs to playlists"... or some variant of same. How could you ignore this OBVIOUS bug for so long?

Nonsense.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Thanks for all the suggestions, I tried them all and still didnt help. My drag and drop stopped working after I tried to transfer 1000's of files from HD at once and it was unsuccessful.
I finally figured out that I now needed to drag, hold down the alt/option key, and drop.
Hope this helps someone.

Thank you. holding the alt/option key worked for me

allen31888

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
best solution

If you have a usb flash drive you can connect it to your computer. then drag the song or video to it.finally you drag the song from the usb flash drive to itunes. this will actually work because i tried it on itunes 10.6.3

Clowney

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
If you have a usb flash drive you can connect it to your computer. then drag the song or video to it.finally you drag the song from the usb flash drive to itunes. this will actually work because i tried it on itunes 10.6.3

I'm sorry, but that's just insane.

Question: Is anybody here who is having this problem NOT using a Wacom tablet & pen when they encounter the glitch? I'd like to refer everyone back to jphg's post from Aug 8, 2011, when [he?] discovered that using the Wacom PEN was actually the problem. Use a mouse to drag files in iTunes, and it works just fine. (Annoying, but helpful to know!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.