Can't install High Sierra (cMP 5,1)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Objectivist-C, May 31, 2019.

1. Objectivist-C, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019

Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Hi, when I try installing High Sierra from USB media to a blank drive, I get an error screen stating:

Code:
    macOS could not be installed on your computer.
    An error occurred while loading the installer resources.
    Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.
    I've posted the console log here.

I've tried two different hard drives to rule out a failure. The machine's current configuration is:
    1x 2.8Ghz Quad Xeon
    3x 8GB DDR3 ECC PC10600 1333MHz SDRAM
    ATI Radeon 5770 1GB
    1TB WD Blue Scorpio HDD (or 160GB Maxtor)

I've already tried resetting the PRAM. Doing it during startup didn't seem to work, so I used nvram -c from terminal.

The seller mentioned that he had problems installing the latest version of macOS, which I took to mean Mojave not installing because of the video card. It was successfully booting 10.6 before I wiped the drive.

2. chrfr macrumors 604

You’ll need a firmware update to install High Sierra. Try starting with El Capitan.

3. Objectivist-C thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Is that still the case if it did a firmware update the first time I tried installing HS, though?

4. chrfr macrumors 604

It may depend on the version of your installer. I don’t remember at this point which ones included firmware updates.

5. Objectivist-C thread starter macrumors 6502

I just downloaded it from the App Store, it should be the latest available.

6. chrfr macrumors 604

I’d still try an older OS first. 10.13.6 is definitely a later firmware than earlier versions of High Sierra.

7. Objectivist-C thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm downloading Sierra now (El Capitan won't for for whatever reason), but my existing installer is Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G65) per the console log and already installed a FW update.

8. crjackson2134 macrumors 601

crjackson2134

All the recent firmware updates are listed in post #1 of this sticky if it helps.
    https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-mojave-bootrom-upgrade-instructions.2142418/

9. Objectivist-C thread starter macrumors 6502

Sierra worked (and didn't need to install a FW update), but now I get the error "AMD-Action:downloadProduct:SP" when trying to update to High Sierra through the App Store. Googling doesn't turn up any applicable solutions (system time is correct, home folder is on primary volume).

[​IMG]

10. Objectivist-C thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, that problem was solved by logging in to my App Store account, HS is up and running now.

Q: should AHT work on this configuration? I’ve tried holding ‘d’ during boot with a wired Windows keyboard and a Bluetooth Apple keyboard and neither works.

11. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex

Every Mac needs a specific version of AHT, so a clean instal don't have it.

You need to install the correct AHT version into your install or on a USB-key. Read this article on how to do it:

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

12. chrfr macrumors 604

Was it, in fact, the firmware that needed updating to install High Sierra?

13. Objectivist-C thread starter macrumors 6502

No, it successfully updated the bootrom on the first installation attempt, but installing the actual OS from USB failed every time.

The only thing I can think of that’s odd about my setup is that I was only getting the ~20MB HS installer stub from the App Store and had to move files around with Terminal to create the boot drive.

AHT says everything is fine in the short test, haven’t taken the time to run the full test yet.