Can't install Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by solice, Jun 17, 2007.

1. solice macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am trying to install the WWDC2007 Leopard DVD from ADC.... however, when the system is trying to boot up the DVD, it kept asking me to restart the system....

Any idea?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well yes, that's usually what happens when you install OS X, try holding down C when it reboots.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well of course it does. The computer needs to boot up from the DVD in order to install Mac OS X.

Either reboot while holding the C key or set the DVD as the startup disc in system preferences.

4. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

5. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

As a developer and ADC select member, I'm sure the WWDC2007 beta of Leopard isn't available from ADC yet. Looks the op is either trying to install an older version or has got it from "questionable" sources...

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well I agree, but he hasn't said anything that would say he's downloaded it illegally, and the WWDC 2007 version doesn't seem to be on the two biggest torrent sites yet...

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Sounds fishy, but regardless...

Is it failing to boot from the DVD or is the kernel panicking?

9. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

In spite of the replies, I still don't understand the OP's question.

If the C key is not held down then, the system is not going to ask anything, it'll just boot up as normal with the CD on the desktop.

What does it mean "...the system is trying to boot up the DVD"?

That seems to indicate the C key *was* held down in which case it would boot up from the CD?

OP, we need more info.

:confused:

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well if he held down the C button while rebooting with the DVD in, the DVD's corrupt, in which case he contact Apple to get another DVD if he got it from WWDC or reburn the DVD from the download, if that doesn't work redownload it.

11. solice thread starter macrumors newbie

yes you guys can say I am a new developer on the block...

I have recently switched to Apple (for the better)
    and bought a Select Developer license...

although I am new to apple but I am not stupid... yes I did try hold down C while booting and it does not work either... so yes don't question whether I am a dumbass or got the leopard from bt...

FYI... you can already download latest leopard on developer.apple.com

all I am askinf is your help....

12. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

@solice

I agree the replies were unnecessarily sarcastic and I will apologise on behalf of my fellow MR members.

Sounds like a corrupt download as EH suggested, redownload.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I can't install Leopard either.

Admittedly I don't have the discs yet. Nevertheless, if re-downloading it doesn't work then try holding OPTION at boot up. :)

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I was under the impression that the DMGs on ADC had verification checksums. Have you tried verifying your download?

15. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Hi, mad jew

If you've got a mo would you mind popping into here and let me know if I should drop my new app onto iTunes or try to fix it.

16. solice thread starter macrumors newbie

No worries... I used to be a pro-MS guy and I am trying to get away from MS... however I still have to deal with .NET for my business...

Anyway, I have tried to install with DVD that I received from ADC as well as downloaded and burned the dmg on ADC site... still give me the same error...

This is getting annoying... as anyone out there successfully installed Leopard as the main OS?

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

18. solice thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what I am thinking too.... Thanks!!! I will give them a call tomorrow.... :)

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It's Sunday, so you are not at work. So what are you doing with a Leopard DVD? Read the NDA. You are most definitely _not_ allowed to install Leopard on your Mac at home.

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's Sunday here too. I'm working.

21. solice thread starter macrumors newbie

Good one gnasher... I have started to work from home and who says I cant work on Sunday from home.... ;)

After more research, I hope it is not related to the Kingston RAM that I installed... anyhow I will give ADC a call tomorrow...

I just tried it with the 10.4 Install Disc and it boots no problem....

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you don't want to be considered stupid, type in at least remotely proper grammar, use punctuation and capitalization, and make some attempt to provide actual relevant, useful information to the people from whom you are trying to receive help.

Let's go back a step. You put the disc in, try to boot off it, and you're told to restart. What tells you to restart? What does the restart prompt look like? Is it a kernel panic screen (grey overlay with a message asking you to restart in several different languages)?

What I'm getting at is this: When you put in a disc and try to boot off it, if booting fails completely, you don't get a prompt to restart. The system should automatically boot off the HD on failure to boot off optical, from what I have seen on my Macs. So, if you're getting a prompt to restart, I don't think you're having a failure to recognize / boot off the disc -- you're having a failure to run what's *on* the disc.

So if that's the case, provide proper details. Build number, type of media you burnt to, program you used to burn (because it sounds like you downloaded it from ADC rather than getting the physical copy at WWDC), hardware configuration *in detail*.

23. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Yup,

It's a half an hour into Monday here, and I've just finished working all day Sunday as well, at home/office and am about to watch, "Everything is Illuminated"

hey that gives me an idea for a new thread.

24. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Erm, no you can't - the seed on the Leopard Developer Center is not the one from WWDC (at least not yet...)

25. evanliberman macrumors newbie

Having the same problem

I'm having the exact same problem. Just bought the new 17" Hi-res Macbook Pro (2.4Ghz) and downloaded Leopard client Build 9a410.dmg from ADC, and burned on DVD+R DL from Memorex from the built-in Mac Burn Disk Utility.

The .dmg file opens fine from the HD, and when opening the Install program, it asks me for authentication of username/password, and then restarts. So I think the .dmg is okay. Then, when restarting (evidently with the DVD as boot drive - I also hear the DVD spin), it has the Restart message (in multiple languages, as the OP). I guess this would be considered the kernel panic (?). Anyway, does anyone think this Leopard beta (April 2007) is incompatible with the new MacBook Pro in some way? Has anyone solved this problem? Much appreciation in advance. BTW, when do you think we'll get the latest beta on ADC?