Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymous-A.S

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 31, 2022
Hey again, I have not had much information since I last spoke with you all about the Dynamic Pill and some of its features, but I do have some (small) details about the upcoming iPhone 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max.

The capacitive buttons which have been rumored for some time now will actually be triggered the same way when the phone is dead or powered down.

This micro-processor will replace Apples current “Super Low Energy Mode” which is in use currently via the main SoC (AX) chip inside current models.

Currently, the Low Energy mode is capable of doing small tasks; like using Apple Pay when the phone is dead, or being able to use Bluetooth to connect to other iOS/Mac devices to constantly track your device with the Find My Network (started in iOS 15).

The new micro-processor that will ship in the 15 Pro models will not only manage those tasks, but will also be able to immediately sense capacitive button presses, holds, and even detect their own version of 3D Touch with the new volume up/down button, action (currently ringer switch) button, and power button, while the phone is dead or powered down.

It is currently being tested with and without Taptic Engine feedback while powered off, however not while the battery is “dead.”Whether this tid-bit makes it to production or not is highly-uncertain but IS being tested.

The new micro-processor will also take on the Find My, Bluetooth/UW, and Apple Pay express card features (previously managed by the SoP with low energy), while the phone is off, greatly improving power consumption during those down-times.

As for the volume buttons, I don’t know much but I’ve heard multiple possibilities from my man inside:

1. Volume goes up/down faster depending on the the amount of force-pressed on each respective capacitive volume button.
2. Volume can be controlled by swiping/sliding finger up or down on the volume capacitive rocker.

They are highly unsure which one will make it to full iOS production, but regardless it can be enabled in software by Apple at any point as the 3D-touch buttons are definite.

The micro-processor is a definite too. Whether it gets shown off on-stage, or just left in the technical specifications, the micro-processor IS going to be there and it will be focused on managing the device when it’s powered down or off, and will take on responsibilities of capacitive buttons at ALL times, even when the phone is on, as well as Apple Pay express and Find My Network updating (LE Bluetooth, NFC, etc.)

To sum up what the microprocessor manages while on or off, here’s a list:

While powered on:
- Capacitive volume, power and action buttons.

While powered off:
- Drives NFC, LE Bluetooth, LE-UW chips, etc.
- Possibly; Taptic Engine feedback

While battery is dead:
- Apple Pay Express card

The attached CAD file image is not owned by me or anyone in relation to me.

Do not take this information with a grain of salt, this is almost fully-definite for iOS 17 and the new Pro model iPhones.

Attachments

• 8899DCEC-8F21-400A-A722-76402FBAFCDB.jpeg
    8899DCEC-8F21-400A-A722-76402FBAFCDB.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,305
Last edited:

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Do you have any information on how the new action button/ringer switch will work?

For example will it be remappable?

Appleee1011

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2022
Hey again, I have not had much information since I last spoke with you all about the Dynamic Pill and some of its features, but I do have some (small) details about the upcoming iPhone 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max.

The capacitive buttons which have been rumored for some time now will actually be triggered the same way when the phone is dead or powered down.

This micro-processor will replace Apples current “Super Low Energy Mode” which is in use currently via the main SoC (AX) chip inside current models.

Currently, the Low Energy mode is capable of doing small tasks; like using Apple Pay when the phone is dead, or being able to use Bluetooth to connect to other iOS/Mac devices to constantly track your device with the Find My Network (started in iOS 15).

The new micro-processor that will ship in the 15 Pro models will not only manage those tasks, but will also be able to immediately sense capacitive button presses, holds, and even detect their own version of 3D Touch with the new volume up/down button, action (currently ringer switch) button, and power button, while the phone is dead or powered down.

It is currently being tested with and without Taptic Engine feedback while powered off, however not while the battery is “dead.”Whether this tid-bit makes it to production or not is highly-uncertain but IS being tested.

The new micro-processor will also take on the Find My, Bluetooth/UW, and Apple Pay express card features (previously managed by the SoP with low energy), while the phone is off, greatly improving power consumption during those down-times.

As for the volume buttons, I don’t know much but I’ve heard multiple possibilities from my man inside:

1. Volume goes up/down faster depending on the the amount of force-pressed on each respective capacitive volume button.
2. Volume can be controlled by swiping/sliding finger up or down on the volume capacitive rocker.

They are highly unsure which one will make it to full iOS production, but regardless it can be enabled in software by Apple at any point as the 3D-touch buttons are definite.

The micro-processor is a definite too. Whether it gets shown off on-stage, or just left in the technical specifications, the micro-processor IS going to be there and it will be focused on managing the device when it’s powered down or off, and will take on responsibilities of capacitive buttons at ALL times, even when the phone is on, as well as Apple Pay express and Find My Network updating (LE Bluetooth, NFC, etc.)

While powered on:

While powered off:

While battery is dead:
- Apple Pay Express card

Do not take this information with a grain of salt, this is almost fully-definite for iOS 17 and the new Pro model iPhones.
Hi again! Thanks for sharing! Do you happen to have any info on what the other major stuff like overall design look like? We have obviously heard of the titanium/more rounded frame and smaller bezels. Do you think you can give us a small mock up or more detailed information on the specifications? Additionally, as I recall, in terms of software you had detailed the use of the pill cutout for iPhone 14 pro with the return of the classic carrier/battery icons along with a revamped camera app that never made it to production. Nonetheless, would you have any idea about upcoming iOS 17 features/use cases for the dynamic island or could ask about it?

anonymous-A.S

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 31, 2022
Hi again! Thanks for sharing! Do you happen to have any info on what the other major stuff like overall design look like? We have obviously heard of the titanium/more rounded frame and smaller bezels. Do you think you can give us a small mock up or more detailed information on the specifications? Additionally, as I recall, in terms of software you had detailed the use of the pill cutout for iPhone 14 pro with the return of the classic carrier/battery icons along with a revamped camera app that never made it to production. Nonetheless, would you have any idea about upcoming iOS 17 features/use cases for the dynamic island or could ask about it?
My source is on the development team, so no I don’t have those details nor do they about the look/physical device, unless it requires software development to compliment it.

I’m not sure about much more than what I’ve told you right now, I’m sorry.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
My source is on the development team, so no I don’t have those details nor do they about the look/physical device, unless it requires software development to compliment it.

I’m not sure about much more than what I’ve told you right now, I’m sorry.
Thank you for sharing this. Will the mute button be like the action button on the Apple Watch Ultra, in that you can set actions and uses within apps? I think that would be very useful, I use the one on my Apple Watch ultra everyday when working out.

martin97

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2023
Hi there! In regards to the Action Button, should we expect an Apple Watch Ultra-like implementation, or different? I wonder if would be usable as a button that triggers different actions depending on the app - for example, a camera shutter in the camera?

Also, is it also going to have the same 3D Touch tech? I mean, you’ll be able to half-press it like a MacBook trackpad?

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I wish this microprocessor for capacitive buttons was introduced with iPhone 7 series back in 2016

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Is the action button a latching switch (stays depressed until you press it again)? This is the only way I can see it making sense in replacing the mute switch. If it's flush with the phone when depressed/on, it's actually even more useful than the mute switch as you can feel when its activated just by touch alone

anonymous-A.S

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 31, 2022
Is the action button a latching switch (stays depressed until you press it again)? This is the only way I can see it making sense in replacing the mute switch. If it's flush with the phone when depressed/on, it's actually even more useful than the mute switch as you can feel when its activated just by touch alone
No it’s capacitive it won’t move at all mechanically. It just sense force

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Forgot to mention he does know those capacitive buttons will work very well with gloves and cases if designed correctly, as there’s a sensitivity toggle
That's good to hear. I was dreading having to have open hole cutouts for buttons again like some of the old cases in the early days.

While powered on:

While powered off:

While battery is dead:
- Apple Pay Express card

Thank you so much for providing such details. This is a 💎. I'm guessing the new iPhone 15 could look something like this? Btw, any news on the colors Apple plans on releasing?

FshKDCYaEAE3iXr

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
Apple will make the buttons work to people’s satisfaction. Gloves, case, whatever. It’ll work well or else they wouldn’t do it. I have a 14 Pro and won’t be upgrading for three plus years, but I wish I could get the 15 Pro for all the interesting new stuff.

I do, however, think it’s a bunch of bunk that only the 15 Pro Max gets the periscope camera. I think both Pros should get it.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Hey do you have any thoughts about the new rumors from Kuo stating that the new solid state buttons are canceled for this years iPhone 15 Pros?

edit: read your comment on a different thread. Looks like your sources still point to capacitive buttons making an appearance on this years iPhones. Thanks for the iOS + buttons update! :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.