Car dash mounts (which one are you using)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by RiddlaBronc, Jan 6, 2014.

1. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

I received the TechMatte dash mount kit on friday and have had it for almost 3 days now. Here is my review. For 8 bucks you cant go wrong and they are very handy.

When i first opened the box i was skeptical as well but after figuring it out how to set it up and trying it on i was impressed. The suction mount is very strong and wont come off easily even in a dashboard which is where i put mine for easy access. Great to use the phone to control the stereo or to navigate.

In order to get the three little tabs to click you have to push kind of hard to get it to click but its a one time deal for that.

Why 4 stars?

Two minor issues for me.
    1. In order to release the phone you have to use two hands. It would be nice if there was also a one button grip release.
    2 Also when it closes to lock your phone it does it with force. So that means its a great idea to have a phone case to avoid scratches. I think i might glue some little pieces of foam to the edges that way i can rock the phone without a case and avoid scratching it.

Overall its a great little mount and i highly recommend it along with a phone case.

Attached Files:

2. RiddlaBronc thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Cant get more than a picture per post sorry.

Attached Files:

3. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

I use the Kenu Airframe. Simple, unobtrusive, and solid. Best i've used

[​IMG]

4. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Yep and turns your phone into a ice block, didn't sit right in my car, sent it back.

5. alvse macrumors regular

alvse

I use this one;

Logitech Case+Drive
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Although, I use the Apple Leather Case instead of the one supplied with the mount. A thin metal pad comes with the kit that you place between the back of the phone and the case to make it compatible with the mount.

I've had mounts before with the side clippy things, and found them annoying. This one works amazingly, and the magnet is strong enough to hold the phone in place in daily driving.

6. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18456511#post18456511

Worst: Suction/Adhesive mounts will never ever be 100% reliable.
    Eh: Vent mounts are only good if you're not using the AC.
    Better: Gooseneck mounts that stem from the power outlet are sturdy, but then in some situations the phone will be not at dashboard-level, risking in taking your eyes off the road.

Best situation: CD Slot mounting (No damage to the slot and CDs will still play inside)
    http://www.mountek.com

And if you still have a tape player:
    iDeck http://www.amazon.com/iDeck-Integrated-Cassette-Adapter-iPod/dp/B002QG4P7U

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Hardly best. Best is a mount that securely bolts to your vehicle.

Don't overlook prior threads on the topic.

8. Robster3 macrumors 68000

They look interesting. Does the magnetic one work with a case, they hold a mini too, you think they would hold a air?

9. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I also really like the Kenu Airframe. Low profile and easily set up. It will not work in all cars. But I like it my car.

View attachment 455481

Attached Files:

10. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

I use the iottie one found on amazon. Really like it, especially the one handed insert/release and awesome suction cup.

11. Donoghan macrumors regular

Donoghan

I use the Kenu Airframe as well. Works perfect in my 4Runner.

12. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

Did you bother to check out the link? The CD Slot mount securely screws in creating a wedge in the CD Slot, and it's better than bolting to the dashboard because it leaves no permanent damage.

...and the first line of my response was a link to a previous thread on the same topic.

I doubt it would hold an Air.

I actually went ahead an got an tablet version of the CD slot mount, it holds an iPad Air nicely.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/jumiss-iPad...der_Mounts_Stands_Holders&hash=item4610c1a528

13. JM2 macrumors member

ProClip. They are expensive and designed to mount directly into the dash/console via a clip and some double sided tape. They are custom made for each vehicle and very solid, generally very well made I'd say. They have models with adjustable sides for different widths (with case / without case) and have a pass thru for the Lighting cable. The mount is adjustable (swivel/angle) but in two of my vehicles I modified the mounting plate so it can't move at all.

14. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Koomus Dashboard Windshield Universal Smartphone iPhone Car Mount Holder Cradle for iPhone 5 5S 5C 4S 4 3GS iPod Touch Samsung Galaxy S3 S4 Note 2 Google Droid GPS Smartphone car mount in Black
    http://amzn.com/B0075PZGTS

15. 24hrpizza macrumors member

I like the design and colors on this one. Good post.

16. AFgixxer macrumors member

AFgixxer

17. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

18. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I have this one as well and it works great.

19. jouh macrumors member

Airframe is the best one and I have tried many...

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Would help to explain why you think it's best so others can see if your assessment is relevant to their needs/wants/preferences. Best isn't universal no matter what the topic. For example, vent mounts are a nonstarter for me.

21. Redsfan macrumors regular

I was looking at the Mountek CD Mount for my Note 3 but decided against it because of the size of the phone. Wound up going with a similar look in the ExcMount CD Mount and completely satisfied with it! The iphones are not as big as the Note 3 but with a case, etc.....also have some variations for your mini's, etc.

22. Liskrig macrumors newbie

I've been using the Aduro U-Grip+ and it is amazing. Minimalistic design, and not over engineered. Works with any case, and any phone. It holds the phone great, and its easy to mount, and unmount with one hand. For $20 you can't go wrong.

23. Robster3, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014

Robster3 macrumors 68000

Just ordered the ExoMount Cd holder, looks good, been using a Brodit on the side of the console for years, will be good to have my 5S up higher. Don't like window mounts.

24. alanrocks macrumors regular

alanrocks

In my opinion the breffo spiderpodium is the best car dash mount about as it has 8 flexible spider like legs so you can use it portrait or landscape and whats even better, I won't have to get a new mount when I get a new phone...Ideal!!! :D

Attached Files:

• ikj.JPG
      ikj.JPG
      File size:
      2 MB
      Views: