Car mount?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bige12, Oct 11, 2012.

1. bige12 macrumors 6502

bige12

I want use the navigation feature on my iPhone 4s, but I can not find a car mount. Dose anyone know of a good car mount that can hold my iphone 4s

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

RAM makes a wide range of mounts for phones and the like. I have them on both my motorcycles.

3. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

We have one of these in all 4 of our household cars.

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Un...963142&sr=8-1&keywords=kensington+phone+mount

It can either be windshield mounted (which I don't like) or air vent mounted (my preference). One of the things I like about it most is that this same mount has held my iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4S, and now 5 and some of those with or without cases and the universal nature of the phone allows it to work for all, so I've not had to ever buy new ones and those in the house with different phones can all use the same mount.

4. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

no problem. It can go either way in the cd slot, so it is more down or more up if that makes sense. Really secure and the location is great.

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

7. Sputnek macrumors regular

8. Sputnek macrumors regular

I have that one right now, and I cannot seem to keep the cradle hooked to the dock. It used to be perfect with my iphone4, but since the 5 I had to turn it upside down to connect the aux cable to it. In doing so the cradle always falls off taking my ip5 with it anytime I go over a bump.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

looks like it would be good, but maybe not for the 5. The demo looks like it rubs the sides pretty tight

10. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

The mount is lined with felt :)

11. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

12. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Interesting - a few posters indicate their model is the BEST. LOL!

Anyway, a great list and options. Just made this a bookmark for future reference as I think we are in the new car market.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

of course everyone thinks that :) Like others mentioned though, the vents/windshield ones can be fluky (suction cups/vent sliding around). The cd one is great b.c I never use that thing anyways.

15. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Check out a mount by a company called Mountek. It's a phenomenal mount. I've tried a bunch of other mounts (suction cup, vent, etc), and they were either all flimsy or they fell off the windshield when the suction gave out, or they blocked a vent). I then heard about this one, and read all the good reviews on Amazon. I thought I would try it, and I'm glad I did. I bought it with the intention of using it in the CD player (I never use CD's anyway), but in my 2012 Ford Escape, there is a groove between the center console molding and the molding around the dashboard. I took the tip that goes into the CD player normally, and turned it vertically, then wedged it between the two pieces of molding, and then tightened down the tightening screw, and the thing is rock solid. Now, my iPhone is mounted just to the right of my steering wheel, so it's much closer to being in my line of vision.

Overall, I highly recommend this mount. There is a website (http://www.mountek.com/), but they also have an eBay store, and you can get it a few $ cheaper there occasionally.

Good luck with whichever you decide on!

*edited* I see that mattopotamus posted a link to the same one above. Good taste, mattopotamus! *edited*

16. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Prior to reading this post, I was planning on ordering the CD player mounted attachment. After having looked at the Proclip unit, I have ordered one for my wife's Infiniti FX45. If it works out well, I'll order one for myself.

17. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

I've enjoyed my iOttie for a while now. I love the versatility. It's handled the iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Droid X, Droid Razr, and Droid Razr Maxx and whatever cases I was using at the time. :)

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

don't leave this thread when it comes. I always like to read reviews, so post your experience with it (well hers).

19. takeshi74, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

You'd have better luck if you looked in the Accessories subforum. There are quite a number of threads on the topic.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=car...me,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active

As always, I highly suggest ProClip's device mounts used with Panavise's brackets. ProClip makes their own vehicle mounts but they tend to rely on double-sided tape and friction where Panavise's brackets securely bolt to the vehicle.

Define what you mean by "good". The word is fairly meaningless on its own because it's one of those highly subjective words. What features are you looking for? What are the must haves? What doesn't matter? Do you want to be able to move it easily from one vehicle to the next or do you want it securely mounted to one specific vehicle? Are you avoiding suction and windshield mounts or are you not worried about them possibly falling? Do you just need a device mount or a dock? If the latter does it need to provide power as well as handle audio? If you want power are you connecting it to an auto power outlet or hardwiring? Do you just want a pass-through connector? What's your budget? Do you want the mount to tilt/swivel? Are you looking for a mount specific to just the 4s or something more universal? Are you using a case on your device?

On any topic be clear on precisely what you mean and don't just assume that your preferences are universal. The better the info you provide on what you're looking for the better the recommendations will be suited to you. If you just want a list of options then refer to the countless prior threads on the topic.

Best is subjective no matter what the topic. I prefer ProClip but it's not a one-size-fits-all solution -- same as any other subjective matter. You can state "hands down" and "/thread" all you want but that doesn't make it objective.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

21. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Is that a can of baby formula?? Looks similar. :)

22. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I agree. My iPhone 5 holder should be here tomorrow. It worked great on my 4S and 4, so I am going to keep giving them my business. I also have an iPod Classic holder so I can just use that to play my iTunes music in my truck and not have to plug my iPhone in every time.